Derby County versus Real Betis, 28 July, Pre-Season Friendly

angieram

Nice to win but still can't see any sort of cohesive plan for how we're going to score goals forming, can't see much evidence of coached routine and understanding between the attacking players.

The Sibley debate amuses me, like it's Watson (or someone else) 100% of the time or Sibley 100% of the time. Squad / tactical management within games doesn't exist, using players at the right times and in the right matches to make the most of their individual qualities an alien concept you can't expect the manager to understand. 

Watson did well, but an assist in a pre-season friendly and a couple of examples of (just) keeping possession against a team not applying the same sort of pressure a championship team might seemingly justifies jettisoning a player who's been the standout star of our academy and when used properly showed that he could make a big impact on actual, real life, competitive Championship fixtures?

Shinnie & Roos the stars, game suited the former perfectly tbf, they won't face many like Graeme in la Liga will they?

...but that just makes me think of Sibley again. Everyone loves it when Shinnie flies into a challenge, or gives the opponent a 'gentle push' even though he's treading exactly the same line Sibley does, but one gets applauded and the other admonished for the same sort of thing.

With Shinnie though, instead of someone trying to drill it out of his game they've embraced it, let him gain experience in using his 'bite' correctly. With Sibley it's like people are trying to eradicate it from his game entirely rather than learning to use it more effectively. Surprised he dares make any challenges at all.

Edited by Coconut

I was sat behind the dugout tonight and thought all of the coaching set-up just looks ameturish. They all look completely out of their depth and if I had to have a guess, I don't think many of the players will have much respect for any of them.

And as for Sibley, he looks down in the dumps. A player that ALL Derby supporters were warming too before we went into lockdown has had all the fight and hunger drained out of him.

If it is true that Rooney has told him he's not in his plans, I think I'd be happy to move on whilst ever Rooney was in charge.

And as for Rooney having to apologies after a game to his family on National TV, just tells you all you need to know about the guy. 

Get him out of our club ASAP, please.

21 minutes ago, Coconut said:

...but that just makes me think of Sibley again. Everyone loves it when Shinnie flies into a challenge, or gives the opponent a 'gentle push' even though he's treading exactly the same line Sibley does, but one gets applauded and the other admonished for the same sort of thing.

With Shinnie though, instead of someone trying to drill it out of his game they've embraced it, let him gain experience in using his 'bite' correctly. With Sibley it's like people are trying to eradicate it from his game entirely rather than learning to use it more effectively.

There's a huge difference in the way Shinnie approaches a tackle and the way Sibley goes about it. It's no coincidence that in over 350 league matches, I can find no record of him ever having been sent off, yet Sibley has already been red-carded three times in a fledgling career at level 18 up to senior.

No doubt there's talent there but until he's able to control (not eliminate) the aggressive side of his game, Sibley cannot be trusted with the responsibility of a regular starting slot.

3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I was sat behind the dugout tonight and thought all of the coaching set-up just looks ameturish. They all look completely out of their depth and if I had to have a guess, I don't think many of the players will have much respect for any of them.

And as for Sibley, he looks down in the dumps. A player that ALL Derby supporters were warming too before we went into lockdown has had all the fight and hunger drained out of him.

If it is true that Rooney has told him he's not in his plans, I think I'd be happy to move on whilst ever Rooney was in charge.

And as for Rooney having to apologies after a game to his family on National TV, just tells you all you need to know about the guy. 

Get him out of our club ASAP, please.

And what makes you the expert to make such an astute observation?

5 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

As you were so close to them, perhaps you could offer some rationale or examples of why you think any of that. You've given us nothing there except your pre-existing opinions.

You don't have to guess if many of the players have any respect for coaching staff. Your vantage point tonight should have given you a good indication.

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

There's a huge difference in the way Shinnie approaches a tackle and the way Sibley goes about it. It's no coincidence that in over 350 league matches, I can find no record of him ever having been sent off, yet Sibley has already been red-carded three times in a fledgling career at level 18 up to senior.

No doubt there's talent there but until he's able to control (not eliminate) the aggressive side of his game, Sibley cannot be trusted with the responsibility of a regular starting slot.

Just to add to that, Championship refs will always show a yellow to a younger player who's aggressively trying to win the ball rather than an established older pro. 

Hughesy used to get booked for taking the ball off an older opponent while he often got taken out completely with no repercussions.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

As you were so close to them, perhaps you could offer some rationale or examples of why you think any of that. You've given us nothing there except your pre-existing opinions.

You don't have to guess if many of the players have any respect for coaching staff. Your vantage point tonight should have given you a good indication.

Maybe the lads on the bench were pretending to be asleep and farting on each other?

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

Just to add to that, Championship refs will always show a yellow to a younger player who's aggressively trying to win the ball rather than an established older pro. 

Hughesy used to get booked for taking the ball off an older opponent while he often got taken out completely with no repercussions.

That's the first time I've ever heard such a comment. Amazing.