Derby County versus Real Betis, 28 July, Pre-Season Friendly

angieram

A noticeable difference in the pattern of play was when Andres Guardado was subbed off at half-time. He absolutely ran it for Betis in the first half, dropping deep and pinging 40-yard passes to the fullbacks high up the pitch. He supplied the pass for their one-on-one. Byrne and Buchanan had to tuck in, otherwise they could have just played through the middle. That deep-lying playmaker role is vital.

Derby have actually lacked once since Wayne Rooney pre lockdown and Tom Huddlestone. It’s partly why, IMO, Cocu struggled last season. Ironically, Cocu had Guardado at PSV.

As much as I like Shinnie’s tenacious tackling, Jason Knight’s energy and Max Bird’s simple ball retention, we desperately lack a creativity midfielder from deep. Krystian Bielik has it in his locker, and despite having a great defensive presence, his absence has hurt us immensely from at attacking/controlling perspective too.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

A noticeable difference in the pattern of play was when Andres Guardado was subbed off at half-time. He absolutely ran it for Betis in the first half, dropping deep and pinging 40-yard passes to the fullbacks high up the pitch. He supplied the pass for their one-on-one. Byrne and Buchanan had to tuck in, otherwise they could have just played through the middle. That deep-lying playmaker role is vital.

Derby have actually lacked once since Wayne Rooney pre lockdown and Tom Huddlestone. It’s partly why, IMO, Cocu struggled last season. Ironically, Cocu had Guardado at PSV.

As much as I like Shinnie’s tenacious tackling, Jason Knight’s energy and Max Bird’s simple ball retention, we desperately lack a creativity midfielder from deep. Krystian Bielik has it in his locker, and despite having a great defensive presence, his absence has hurt us immensely from at attacking/controlling perspective too.

Some fair points, but it doesn’t take much to recognise we are missing Bielik, just as we missed Thorne. This situation should improve without us having to outlay anything. I’d add that Shinnie apart, our midfield compliment are all young - improving their entire game should come with time. Assuming we can get Jagielka, the gap left by Clarke is filled. The biggest unresolved issue is up front. We don’t have cover or an alternative or support for CKR. 

11 minutes ago, jono said:

Some fair points, but it doesn’t take much to recognise we are missing Bielik, just as we missed Thorne. This situation should improve without us having to outlay anything. I’d add that Shinnie apart, our midfield compliment are all young - improving their entire game should come with time. Assuming we can get Jagielka, the gap left by Clarke is filled. The biggest unresolved issue is up front. We don’t have cover or an alternative or support for CKR. 

We certainly need another alternative upfront. Wayne Rooney failed to win a single game without Bielik and Gregory last season. I think the record was one draw and nine losses from the ten games neither player featured in.

It’s strange that the midfield is the moat flushed out position currently. However, I feel Shinnie and Knight are too similar (or equally lack the creativite attributes) while Sibley, Watson and Lawrence are all arguably better occupying that number 10 role.

My real hope is for Max Bird to really break out as the creative midfielder, but that’s an awful lot of pressure on young shoulders. 

Wayne Rooney bringing in Tom Carroll shows he is aware of the problem there.

Edited by Bris Vegas

25 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You're back! Brilliant 

Now then. Peterborough away 2012...

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Play nicely!

That was almost a decade ago now. Simpler times back then as we debated Nigel Clough’s pitfalls. Seems small compared to the problems we face now, on and off the pitch.

I was only joking and am genuinely glad you are back on here.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Play nicely!

That was almost a decade ago now. Simpler times back then as we debated Nigel Clough’s pitfalls. Seems small compared to the problems we face now, on and off the pitch.

Glad to see you back. Hope everything is good and we can look forward to plenty of posts. You still in Mexico?

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Glad to see you back. Hope everything is good and we can look forward to plenty of posts. You still in Mexico?

Thanks buddy. Yes I’m still here, currently shriveled up under an AC with the heat outside unbearable.

I’m glad to be back on. It was an all-or-nothing really as the price increase for RamsTV subscription admittedly tested my support for the year considering we’re almost certainly in for a struggle. 

But regardless of my opinion on the manager and those in charge, the club needs all the support it can get right now!