Jack Marriott, Jordon Ibe, Bobby Duncan

Sean

It might only be a pipe dream but I feel like these three keep getting completely forgotten at the minute by Derby fans (myself included)

If we can - somehow, anyhow - get them fit and firing and somewhere back to their best, the squad will already look much much better before any transfers are even done. ?

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

It might only be a pipe dream but I feel like these three keep getting completely forgotten at the minute by Derby fans (myself included)

If we can - somehow, anyhow - get them fit and firing and somewhere back to their best, the squad will already look much much better before any transfers are even done. ?

Jack Marriott for sure, I can see him potentially putting in a pre-season and having a good season if Rooney uses him.

I hate to say it, but I would be very surprised to see Ibe play a first team game for us, or anyone else for that matter.

Duncan is an unknown quantity, he hasnt really done it for the youth teams/u23s yet.

So much talent, yet so little return. Marriott just can't be arsed to train and as such, he's not going to get the game time he needs to be match sharp. He never seems more than half fit and is constantly picking up niggles as a consequence. He's had a bunch of chances now and just doesn't seem to care about football that much and Derby County even less. It's gutting to feel this way as I was so certain he was going to be the next Bobby D, but I fear his ship has sailed. If he doesn't show up to pre-season raring to go, I'd be shipping him out to anyone who'll have him just to get some of his wages off the books.

Having been sympathetic to Jordon's issues, I saw a video recently where far from acknowledging the support of the club, or the fans for that matter, he seemed to be saying that there was no support at all, at least until that fateful Insta post that had everyone hopping about. He actually came across as pretty resentful that there'd not been more done for him at Derby, but this is a football club and I'm not entirely sure what he expects. Also seemed to resent that fact that he'd been questions raised over his frequent lateness for training. Having believed he'd be an epic signing, I'm now fast losing faith that he'll be even remotely meaningful for us. He says he's in a better place now and good to go, but I'm not feeling it to be honest. To my mind, the club, the fans and the coaching staff HAVE tried to be supportive and patient, now it's up to Jordon. If it's not to be then fine, but don't be making out that you've not been given a shot, nor that most fans have not been encouraging and patient.

As for Duncan, well he's just vanished into the footballing ether. I'm not sure he's even had an U23 start yet, let alone threatened the senior squad. When he has, it's been hard to see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps he needs a run of games, but one has to then ask, why, if he's the 'wunderkind' we were led to believe, has he not been able to secure a few more starts?  Perhaps he's not as good as the Scouse faithful and he himself thinks? The only mitigating factors I can see being there's a some decent players in front of him to dislodge for him to be starting games, but that hardly bodes well for his senior career.

All in all, three depressing signings thus far for me, with little to indicate that this will change soon, if ever. Historically I've always been super supportive where the players are concerned, but this is a season where I'd really like to see one or two more kick on. The way I see it, it's the last chance saloon for two of them. Duncan, at least, has time on his side, but if the other two fail at Derby, I can't see other clubs rushing in to take a flyer. 

Sorry for the less than cheery post! ?‍♂️

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

I don't think Rooney wants Marriott anywhere close to his team. 

Ibe's career as a footballer is slowly dying. Hope he get's his health back, but I'd be surprised to see him playing for us.

Duncan has been behind Cresswell, Trialist and Stretton but should have a chance with U23 this season. It's up to him to take it, but what we have seen so far is a player not even closely good enough for the first team.

If some of them makes to the starting line-up next season, I'm really surprised. I wish that Ibe would, though. That would mean better health for him.

Ibe will be back, he’s done the hardest part opening up about his demons, he’ll be getting the help he needs, he has a young family to support so he’ll get the hunger back. He wasn’t a £15m player for nothing  just a few seasons ago so when he does come back healthy in body and mind we’ll see a proper player. 

@86 Hair Islands sums this up perfectly for me, great post.

Marriott seemingly has wasted his chance at championship level. 3-4 managers now haven’t played him regularly for us and Sheff Wed. There is no excuse for having a poor attitude/work ethic. He could have been a cult hero - a modern day Booby Davison, he’s in his last chance saloon and I don’t hold out much hope for him.

Ibe - Has had his chance, doesn’t seem to take responsibility  for his fitness. He put out a post about him being back to work last season, but it was him ambling around the training ground kicking balls meekly into an empty net, not exactly grafting. Still doesn’t seem right mentally according to his social media. Won’t play for us again. Release him this pre season.  

Bobby Duncan - whooooo?? All the fanfare for an U23 squad player! 

8 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Having been sympathetic to Jordon's issues, I saw a video recently where far from acknowledging the support of the club, or the fans for that matter, he seemed to be saying that there was no support at all, at least until that fateful Insta post that had everyone hopping about. He actually came across as pretty resentful that there'd not been more done for him at Derby, but this is a football club and I'm not entirely sure what he expects. Also seemed to resent that fact that he'd been questions raised over his frequent lateness for training. Having believed he'd be an epic signing, I'm now fast losing faith that he'll be even remotely meaningful for us. He says he's in a better place now and good to go, but I'm not feeling it to be honest. To my mind, the club, the fans and the coaching staff HAVE tried to be supportive and patient, now it's up to Jordon. If it's not to be then fine, but don't be making out that you've not been given a shot, nor that most fans have not been encouraging and patient.

I feel this is slightly harsh on Ibe. In the video you mention he actually says he had kept all his feelings to himself and that the club and friends didnt know or notice how bad he was and just thought he had a bad attitude but he was actually depressed and the video you mention he has admitted he was close to suicide. Now if he was that close to that point he in himself clearly felt alone and if the club/friends/team mates all didnt know how bad he was then you can see why he felt that way. I think his point was that until that video nobody in his personal life or the football world had reached out. After the video I saw so many tweets and messages on asking if he was ok, never saw many before the video which is what his point was. He also stated that he knows he has made mistakes and he isnt at fault, he is still clearly troubled by his mugging too as well as missing his ex girlfriend which was part of his initial depression. He has said he is seeing his therapist regularly, although I feel like he may need to see someone else regards the mugging and looking at his insta it looks like he could be back with his ex and the mother of his kid so that will hopefully have helped his mental state.

I think this summer is a big summer for him now that his personal life seems to have improved, he knows why he felt the way he did and he is trying to get better. So the on field side of things appears to be where he needs to get fit and kick on. I hope he does that and gets back to playing football again.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Duncan’s stats at youth level at Liverpool were no better than Morgan Whittaker’s. Just saying. 

Duncan played off a big CF, Whittaker was either CF or RW, whilst Stretton (I'll include based on stats) was the main CF.

All 3 are fairly similar ages: Whittaker (Jan 2021), Duncan (June 2021), Stretton (Sep 2021)... Stretton being in an age group below the other two.

Comparison of the stats (final column = goal contributions per app)

image.png.bbde7773d45df0d3c3664e91b30ce4d6.png

9 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Jack Marriott for sure, I can see him potentially putting in a pre-season and having a good season if Rooney uses him.

I hate to say it, but I would be very surprised to see Ibe play a first team game for us, or anyone else for that matter.

Duncan is an unknown quantity, he hasnt really done it for the youth teams/u23s yet.

This re Duncan 

beeds to prove himself in the u23s before we can start pinning out all our hopes and dreams into him 

Now ... Louis Watson .... now there’s a player I could get very over the top em excited about 

There are three players with differing issues and a lot of potential. 

Does anyone know if we still have a sports psychologist? I know we used to have one. 

Duncan - seems to think he made it without making anything. Looks like he had a lot of bad advice, would probably benefit from a League 1 loan to see if he can hit the target a bit - depends if his ego would allow it. 

Ibe - I think the odds of him playing for Derby are low. Nobody wants this to be the case, does he need an arm around him? A mentor? Can't we send him to live with Curtis Davies or Jonno? If he gets his head right and is shown some love, he could be immense. It's a big IF. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if he's cut in the coming weeks. 

Marriott - Almost feels a bit similar to Ibe. Rooney 'wrote' last weekend that he got rid of some players in January that he didn't feel were positive for the club. Marriott obviously close to Duane Holmes, Jack's wife being the sister of Duane's Mrs, I believe. 

For me, if these three are part of the retained list, get them playing. Give them a run. It's the only way. 

3 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

I would get rid of all 3 did nothing at all last season. 

Have to ask the "why" here though, don't we? I don't think the first team in general did anything last season, doesn't mean we can just get rid.