Jack Marriott, Jordon Ibe, Bobby Duncan

Sean

27 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I feel this is slightly harsh on Ibe. In the video you mention he actually says he had kept all his feelings to himself and that the club and friends didnt know or notice how bad he was and just thought he had a bad attitude but he was actually depressed and the video you mention he has admitted he was close to suicide. Now if he was that close to that point he in himself clearly felt alone and if the club/friends/team mates all didnt know how bad he was then you can see why he felt that way. I think his point was that until that video nobody in his personal life or the football world had reached out. After the video I saw so many tweets and messages on asking if he was ok, never saw many before the video which is what his point was. He also stated that he knows he has made mistakes and he isnt at fault, he is still clearly troubled by his mugging too as well as missing his ex girlfriend which was part of his initial depression. He has said he is seeing his therapist regularly, although I feel like he may need to see someone else regards the mugging and looking at his insta it looks like he could be back with his ex and the mother of his kid so that will hopefully have helped his mental state.

I think this summer is a big summer for him now that his personal life seems to have improved, he knows why he felt the way he did and he is trying to get better. So the on field side of things appears to be where he needs to get fit and kick on. I hope he does that and gets back to playing football again.

I agree. Also as I've said before, I hope it's not counselling he's getting as he clearly needs a trauma therapy like EMDR for his PTSD. This can be quickly dealt with and then a major vulnerability factor for depression will have been removed.  If he comes back I'll be very excited on many levels. 

12 minutes ago, TheSlate said:

Have to ask the "why" here though, don't we? I don't think the first team in general did anything last season, doesn't mean we can just get rid. 

Please tell me what as Marriott done to deserve to stay at Derby? Because to me he just seems a bad influence. 

15 minutes ago, TheSlate said:

There are three players with differing issues and a lot of potential. 

Does anyone know if we still have a sports psychologist? I know we used to have one. 

Duncan - seems to think he made it without making anything. Looks like he had a lot of bad advice, would probably benefit from a League 1 loan to see if he can hit the target a bit - depends if his ego would allow it. 

Ibe - I think the odds of him playing for Derby are low. Nobody wants this to be the case, does he need an arm around him? A mentor? Can't we send him to live with Curtis Davies or Jonno? If he gets his head right and is shown some love, he could be immense. It's a big IF. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if he's cut in the coming weeks. 

Marriott - Almost feels a bit similar to Ibe. Rooney 'wrote' last weekend that he got rid of some players in January that he didn't feel were positive for the club. Marriott obviously close to Duane Holmes, Jack's wife being the sister of Duane's Mrs, I believe. 

For me, if these three are part of the retained list, get them playing. Give them a run. It's the only way. 

I’m sure the club and PFA have offered lots of professional support for Jordon. He’s been working with Shane Nicholson, as mentors go, you’ll struggle to find one better than him after everything he’s been through. 

32 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Please tell me what as Marriott done to deserve to stay at Derby? Because to me he just seems a bad influence. 

He signed a contract which was offered for him last summer before his loan.

Not his fault, but I would question the one who decided to offer the new contract. Was it because of finances?

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Duncan's an U23 player who had injuries last season...

I still think he’s got something about him.

Has only shown it in fleeting moments and is a little lightweight physically but given the right service he could develop into a goal scorer. One of those who needs a goal to get him going.

25 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I still think he’s got something about him.

Has only shown it in fleeting moments and is a little lightweight physically but given the right service he could develop into a goal scorer. One of those who needs a goal to get him going.

Thrived playing off a big CF at Liverpool. Probably wouldn't do too badly off someone like Kazim, but needs to show something for the U23s first. Cresswell scored 11 in the league last season and hardly got a sniff in the first team, so he needs to better that to get a shot - especially if Stretton is going to be part of the squad.

Obviously I have no idea if any of the things people say about Marriott are true, in terms of poor training, attitude, etc. But just in general I find it so frustrating (and hard to understand) that some footballers throw away their short careers through lack of focus or application. Surely they know what they are doing? I mean when the second, third, fourth manager doesn't pick you and says you need to try harder, that's obviously not a conspiracy. That's on you. With the greatest respect to clubs like ours, who gets to the Championship in their early/mid 20s and thinks "Right, I've made it, I'll just not bother any more, and if I don't get picked that's fine by me"?

Edited by vonwright

3 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Obviously I have no idea if any of the things people say about Marriott are true, in terms of poor training, attitude, etc. But just in general I find it so frustrating (and hard to understand) that some footballers throw away their short careers through lack of focus or application. Surely they know what they are doing? I mean when the second, third, fourth manager doesn't pick you and says you need to try harder, that's obviously not a conspiracy. That's on you. With the greatest respect to clubs like ours, who gets to the Championship in their early/mid 20s and thinks "Right, I've made it, I'll just not bother any more, and if I don't get picked that's fine by me"?

How do we get the Leeds play off Jack back? If we could I could see him playing well off CKR...

17 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How do we get the Leeds play off Jack back?

Play every single game full-pelt, gung-ho, end to end and with little if any control in the middle of the pitch, leaving acres of space for both teams to exploit and counter.

It helps if the opposition get a player sent off, of course, and it doesn't work if the opposition aren't so complicit in neglecting their defensive duties.

Deny him space, man mark him, he's done for.

Edited by Coconut

Jack and CKR front 2, it’s a marriage made in heaven. JM is a natural finisher and CKR is an excellent and experienced target man who is a natural leader to boot (just the ticket to work alongside JM).

Jack Marriott needs to be given a chance by Wayne Rooney and his staff, we remain under an embargo (allegedly) and if not we have no money to spend. We need to use the resources already available to us and Jack is a goal scorer, something that we obviously lacked last season. 

If the rumours are true and WR deems JM to be a bad influence etc etc…. The phrase “people in glass houses” comes to mind

15 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Jack and CKR front 2, it’s a marriage made in heaven. JM is a natural finisher and CKR is an excellent and experienced target man who is a natural leader to boot (just the ticket to work alongside JM).

Jack Marriott needs to be given a chance by Wayne Rooney and his staff, we remain under an embargo (allegedly) and if not we have no money to spend. We need to use the resources already available to us and Jack is a goal scorer, something that we obviously lacked last season. 

If the rumours are true and WR deems JM to be a bad influence etc etc…. The phrase “people in glass houses” comes to mind

Cos Marriott has shown his desire to play football and do well at Sheff Weds - wonder whether they'd like him on a free? ?

17 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

No, Jack needs to earn a chance not just be given it due to the clubs circumstances.

I dont think Rooney has ever been classed as a bad influence, and has always had a reputation as a hard worker. Has he made mistakes, of course, but bad influence/attitude is not something I think can be aimed at Rooney as a player.

The minimum Rooney expects from the players is effort, they can have bad training sessions & games but the effort needs to be there. Both Bielik & Waghorn were dropped from matchday squads due their effort in training but both bounced back, Marriott & Holmes clearly just didn't have it in them to bounce back.

38 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How do we get the Leeds play off Jack back? If we could I could see him playing well off CKR...

Get him some service and players around him 

release the ball quicker 

he’s a Bobby Davidson / dean Saunders type of player ... blink and their in type 

he’s a sniffer, looks for opportunities 

Cocus style was the very last thing he wanted, slow build up with all of their players behind the ball and no space in behind to get into those little pockets 

Channel balls and in behind 

see his goals against Leeds as the perfect example of what type of finisher he is 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Cos Marriott has shown his desire to play football and do well at Sheff Weds - wonder whether they'd like him on a free? ?

TBF I’m not bothered what happened at SWFC, he’s a Ram and maybe he needs some support to get the best out of him. 

With regards to his “desire to play football” maybe he has some mental health issues too. He is a Ram and we as a club and group of supporters should get behind him and see where it takes us. 
We need a goal scorer and we have one in JM he just needs to rediscover his form. COYR ? 

43 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Some people are content to reach a a certain level in work and then coast. I bet we all know them in our own jobs.

In football, the temptation must be all the greater when you have clubs willing to give you a (for example) 4 year, 20k a week deal. £4m for potentially minimum effort unless you want to work hard to achieve more.

Human nature.

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

No, Jack needs to earn a chance not just be given it due to the clubs circumstances.

I dont think Rooney has ever been classed as a bad influence, and has always had a reputation as a hard worker. Has he made mistakes, of course, but bad influence/attitude is not something I think can be aimed at Rooney as a player.

The minimum Rooney expects from the players is effort, they can have bad training sessions & games but the effort needs to be there. Both Bielik & Waghorn were dropped from matchday squads due their effort in training but both bounced back, Marriott & Holmes clearly just didn't have it in them to bounce back.

So, Rooney didn’t have a negative influence on the squad towards the end of Cocu’s era ???

I remember quite clearly that his attitude on the pitch was negative and I am not alone in the belief that WR was a key factor behind PC getting the boot.

6 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

So, Rooney didn’t have a negative influence on the squad towards the end of Cocu’s era ???

I remember quite clearly that his attitude on the pitch was negative and I am not alone in the belief that WR was a key factor behind PC getting the boot.

the key factor was PC's performance

5 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I agree that at times his attitude on the pitch after lockdown wasnt great but I do wonder how much of that was down to him knowing his legs were gone. He may have had an influence on Cocu's departure but he wouldnt be the first club captain who has been.

But Rooney in his prime was always a hard worker etc and that is where Marriott should be now, in his prime.