Jack Marriott, Jordon Ibe, Bobby Duncan

Sean

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? How many has he scored for us then. I'd rather give Bobby Duncan a chance. Marriott has had his chance here and only turned up occasionally.

I took up the challenge ?

And actually, I was surprised at the result. 
Played 41 + 45 as sub. Given that a sub appearance is rarely more than 15 minutes, that 45 appearances is equivalent to only 7.5 games! So let’s call it 49 games  

Goals: 17

17 in 49 is better than 1 in 3. Not prolific, but that’s a 15 goal a season return.

I’m genuinely surprised, but that suggests there’s something to work with. 

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Some people are content to reach a a certain level in work and then coast. I bet we all know them in our own jobs.

In football, the temptation must be all the greater when you have clubs willing to give you a (for example) 4 year, 20k a week deal. £4m for potentially minimum effort unless you want to work hard to achieve more.

Human nature.

Yeah I get this I guess. I just find it particularly mystifying with young(ish) footballers deciding to coast where the career is so short, and the potential rewards so high if you just put in the work for a few years. 

19 minutes ago, ck- said:

I took up the challenge ?

And actually, I was surprised at the result. 
Played 41 + 45 as sub. Given that a sub appearance is rarely more than 15 minutes, that 45 appearances is equivalent to only 7.5 games! So let’s call it 49 games  

Goals: 17

17 in 49 is better than 1 in 3. Not prolific, but that’s a 15 goal a season return.

I’m genuinely surprised, but that suggests there’s something to work with. 

Which has been the frustrating part with him but it seems like treading in treacle 

47 minutes ago, ck- said:

So let’s call it 49 games

Err no, lets not. Why did he have so many substitute appearances rather than starting btw?!

Gregory scored "...three goals in his 11 appearances (six starts), including two in his last two."

So by your reckoning: that's 3 goals in 7 starts.

8 hours ago, Coconut said:

Does he though? I mean, does he really? think it's a bit of a myth myself.

People slagged off Waghorn under Cocu for the number of chances he would miss (under Rooney they just slagged him, full stop), which must mean that we were creating some good chances for him to miss in the first place.

Yet when Marriott played... oh no it's not his fault, nobody is creating chances for him! Maybe he simply wasn't doing enough to get into the right positions and his nose isn't anywhere near as hyperosmic as has been made out?

I hear what ur saying and partially agree.

I think his game is more one demiensional than waghorns, I mean waghorn can play out wise or through the middle and although last season was largely a write off for him historically at this level he has shown competence in both those roles, I would say waghorns game is a little more rounded because of that 

cocus style for someone like Marriott was totally the anti style of how he would socire his goals 

look at that Norwich away winner, as I said the Leeds goals 

he’s on the shoulder of the last man ... it’s hard to do that when that last man is about 18 yards from goal and there’s 10 men infront of him cos our ponderous play had allowed the opposition to re group 

I’m not saying Marriott will be a success here but if he had a style ... and I mean see his goals for the posh too I would have him in that category 

29 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Only if we're unable to raise the cash to purchase either Harry Kane or Danny Ings.

Seriously is CKR our forward talisman, oh dear

Edited by TexasRam

10 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Jack and CKR front 2, it’s a marriage made in heaven. JM is a natural finisher and CKR is an excellent and experienced target man who is a natural leader to boot (just the ticket to work alongside JM).

Jack Marriott needs to be given a chance by Wayne Rooney and his staff, we remain under an embargo (allegedly) and if not we have no money to spend. We need to use the resources already available to us and Jack is a goal scorer, something that we obviously lacked last season. 

If the rumours are true and WR deems JM to be a bad influence etc etc…. The phrase “people in glass houses” comes to mind

Relegation all over it.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Err no, lets not. Why did he have so many substitute appearances rather than starting btw?!

Gregory scored "...three goals in his 11 appearances (six starts), including two in his last two."

So by your reckoning: that's 3 goals in 7 starts.

Well quite. There’s clearly something wrong that he’s so often only on the bench. 
I suppose my point was that he does score goals. 
The trouble is that he doesn’t bring much else - I’d love to see his assists record, because my sense is that it wouldn’t be pretty reading. 

42 minutes ago, ck- said:

Well quite. There’s clearly something wrong that he’s so often only on the bench. 
I suppose my point was that he does score goals. 
The trouble is that he doesn’t bring much else - I’d love to see his assists record, because my sense is that it wouldn’t be pretty reading. 

Lets hope another team take a punt on him (like Sheff Weds did!) and he gets another start and we free up his wages. I can't see it working for him here (or the Wendies, lol).

On 04/06/2021 at 00:41, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I forgot we had Duncan entirely,  can't see Ibe playing again at all to be honest. Marriott will be at Peterborough for the season I think- probably for a nominal loan fee. Rather he played in a two up top here but he probably won't.

It hurts me but I think you’re right.

There was a family vid on Instagram this morning and Jordan does seem to be carrying a bit more around the middle than I would expect for a pro soccer player, Marriott I would love to see in a two. His type of play just doesn’t suit being a loan striker. Vydra always looked lost and desperate on his own but learned to drop deeper and found his way. Perhaps Marriott could do the same but I am not wildly optimistic. On Duncan there’s just been nothing which seems odd

Who knows what is in an individuals mind ? I don’t, but it would be fantastic if any or all of them got close to what their specs seem to indicate. A full on Fired up Ibe would be a game changer for our squads attacking ability and he’d drag forward Knight, Bird Shinnie to where they could way more effective.

Ibe - genuinely wish him well for whatever he wants to do next in his life, clearly his head still is not in the right place and hope he finds some kind of resolution. 

Marriott - even if he remains fit which is a big if can't even get my head around how he would even fit into our ponderous, lethargic style of play he'd be asking to be subbed if he was continually making runs off the last defender all game and waiting for a pass that never came or having to battle for balls lumped up to him against brick poohouse central defenders.