What would McClaren do with this team?

DCFC Kicks

Given a lot of people seem to be wanting Mac3, What would he do with the current team, and would it work?

This would be my prediction.

image.png.0c75953d954ee37a2c98e0cb82b2a1e8.png

The main problem is obviously the absence of the icon Chris Martin. I think he'd try and get Rooney to play a similar role. He has the vision and passing ability to play there and his pace is probably similar to Martins. But no one can hold the ball up as good as CM. But as we saw last season, Martin was ineffective without players around him up top and Rooney would be the same.

The other main problem is the 3 midfielders. During Mac1, the midfield was so good it could dominate other teams midfield even if they were outnumbered.

I actually think we have better quality wingers now than under Mac and I think they'd flourish playing his style. 

Not a lot 

we don’t have a physical presence that can make it stick

rooney isn’t fit enough for 45 minutes leading effectively by himself never mind 90 

and we have no quarter back who can ping it aka the Thorne roll, u could argue perhaps bielik but .. he ain’t no Thorne 

so that’s plan A out of the window 

I don’t remember him having a plan B 

I’d rather have Bielik in the ‘Thorne’ role. Shinnie as the Bryson and then take ya pick for the Hughes role (Knight, Sibley, Holmes?)

Other than the gaping void that is Chris Martin. What we currently have is much better strength in depth than we had when Steve first came in. When Hughes or Martin or Thorne/Eustace were out for a month or 2 we had v little back up. Whereas now we do have many more options. Would love to see him get the best out of this lot. But I’m also mindful of his shortcomings.

37 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Given a lot of people seem to be wanting Mac3, What would he do with the current team, and would it work?

The main problem is obviously the absence of the icon Chris Martin. I think he'd try and get Rooney to play a similar role. He has the vision and passing ability to play there and his pace is probably similar to Martins. But no one can hold the ball up as good as CM. But as we saw last season, Martin was ineffective without players around him up top and Rooney would be the same.

The other main problem is the 3 midfielders. During Mac1, the midfield was so good it could dominate other teams midfield even if they were outnumbered.

I actually think we have better quality wingers now than under Mac and I think they'd flourish playing his style. 

Probably take a look at the squad and say 'where's Chris Martin'?

29 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The plan B argument ducking grates on me. No manager has a plan B. It was a stupid criticism people came up with because we couldn't win every game. It was our fanbase being ducking spoiled. 

Plan B is always do plan A better.

Very few sides in history have multiple set ups comprising the same players.

Christ give this a bloody rest I mean jesus mac fing 3 , while were at it let's have clough mk 2 with money , phil brown mk2 , Clement mk2 . Get over it !!!!!!!!  And let him keep his damn brollies parked at newcastle and some of you remember that . Let's have Billy it should have been Preston mk2 . 

Good god move on to a new bloody chapter , some of you are like goldfish swimming round and around .............keep on swimming keep on swimming . 

34 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

I’d rather have Bielik in the ‘Thorne’ role. Shinnie as the Bryson and then take ya pick for the Hughes role (Knight, Sibley, Holmes?)

Other than the gaping void that is Chris Martin. What we currently have is much better strength in depth than we had when Steve first came in. When Hughes or Martin or Thorne/Eustace were out for a month or 2 we had v little back up. Whereas now we do have many more options. Would love to see him get the best out of this lot. But I’m also mindful of his shortcomings.

Bielik = Thorne

Bird = Hughes

Knight/Sibley = Bryson/Hendrick 

Shinnie in the Eustace role, Holmes as cover for the advanced two.

Lawrence, Jozwiak  Ibe, Whittaker vs Ward, Russell, Dawkins, Bamford

Waggy, Rooney, Kazim vs Martin, Sammon

Keogh and Buxton vs Clarke and Evans/Wisdom/te Wierik/Davies

Grants's distribution vs Marshall's

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

image.thumb.png.5274cf5fa151c3f8c8d43ce5d00824f2.png

22 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Christ give this a bloody rest I mean jesus mac fing 3 , while were at it let's have clough mk 2 with money , phil brown mk2 , Clement mk2 . Get over it !!!!!!!!  And let him keep his damn brollies parked at newcastle and some of you remember that . Let's have Billy it should have been Preston mk2 . 

Good god move on to a new bloody chapter , some of you are like goldfish swimming round and around .............keep on swimming keep on swimming . 

So, you clicked on the thread titled ''What would McClaren do with this team'' and thought it wouldn't be discussing, well, McClaren.... this one is on you.

Edited by Andicis

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

i think he might go something like this.

image.png.319c673dafe4efbeab2d5144ada12cb3.png

he would find a way to get that front 4 on the pitch together i'm sure

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

As each day passes I think worsening things about Chris Martin. I am currently at ‘wishing him a career ending injury’ level. Can we please, please have some threads which do not include the need to mention bloody Chris Martin.

In jest or not,that's a pretty poor thing to wish on any player mate,poor taste.