What would McClaren do with this team?

DCFC Kicks

16 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Some of you have short memories. The best football we played in the last 20 years was under Steve McClaren. All the way back to Jim Smith. 

Just because it’s the best football that was played in the last twenty years means nothing. Some fans value promotion. Which puts him on par with Billy Davies.

Edited by CocuCrazyCocuMad

1 minute ago, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

Just because it’s the best football that was played in the last twenty years means nothing. Some fans value promotion first. Which puts him on par with Billy Davies.

I think people are avoiding the obvious.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rooney-mcclaren-howe-takeover-latest-4706637

Steve Nicholson is hinting at McClaren here. 

32 minutes ago, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

Just because it’s the best football that was played in the last twenty years means nothing. Some fans value promotion. Which puts him on par with Billy Davies.

It could be argued that premac1 with Jim Smith was the best football  in over 40 years which came to an end when he left for Man U. How much was down to him or Smith, is unknown, but the magic left soon after Mac. He was considered ahead of his time then, nut that was 25 years ago and football has changed and would it work now?

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

It could be argued that premac1 with Jim Smith was the best football  in over 40 years which came to an end when he left for Man U. How much was down to him or Smith, is unknown, but the magic left soon after Mac. He was considered ahead of his time then, nut that was 25 years ago and football has changed and would it work now?

I don’t know. We’re more QPR when he took over there than the Derby team he inherited from Clough.

He could be as successful or awful as anyone else at this point.

And while Rooney is at the club it’s irrelevant. He holds all the cards now and he knows it too. Whoever comes in will have to agree with him. He missed a major competition with England under McClaren - you know where the blame will lie if it doesn’t work.

6 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

with this squad,  yes.

No. The squad is average at best. Lawrence (1 in 10) is classed as one of our better players. No striker. Waghorn needs several clear cut chances. We don’t know how good Joswiak is yet. Bielik on paper is a £10m player. The kids are what they are, kids, learning all the time.

How is it a Top 6 squad? There’s a lot more than five clubs with better squads than Derby.

Forget Rooney exists. It’s not a strong squad.

Edited by CocuCrazyCocuMad

I wonder how much of our 13-14 play was down to McClaren and how much Simpson?

I don't remember him being completely 433 before us - but in truth I didn't pay that much attention. He wasn't known as an all out attacking manager with Boro or England. 

I remember Simmo being credited (by McClaren) with quite a few of the brave attacking substitution ideas at the time. He also advised McClaren not to try to see out a couple of games early on - the idea is that we were leading through our attacking play so why change it? It is possible that we credit McClaren for a lot of Simpson's work.

That said, McClaren was very into 'doing the right thing'. He believed that the manager should take the blame, but the staff and the players should get the credit - using his 'broad shoulders' to take the pressure off others. It is possible that he deliberately 'bigged up' Simpson's input. I also think that's why the Newcastle thing destroyed morale. McClaren set himself up as the club's 'moral compass' which the players bought into. That meant they felt betrayed once it became clear that he was considering jumping ship.

FWIW I think that McClaren would probably get us higher up the table this season than any other manager - maybe 10th. The problem is that we'd also finish 10th next season too. 

7 minutes ago, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

No. The squad is average at best. Lawrence (1 in 10) is classed as one of our better players. No striker. Waghorn needs several clear cut chances. We don’t know how good Joswiak is yet. Bielik on paper is a £10m player. The kids are what they are, kids, learning all the time.

How is it a Top 6 squad? There’s a lot more than five clubs with better squads than Derby.

Forget Rooney exists. It’s not a strong squad.

Prove it...

3 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

We couldn’t win any game 

We went on a horrendous run which saw us firmly embedded in the play offs cumulating with a last day of the season capitulation against reading at home

every week a defeat was met by his cheesey infuriating Cheshire Cat grin and a shrug of the shoulders 

it was screaming out for a tweak in set up and get more bodies higher up in the absence of chris Martin 

When the chips are down he’s as clueless as they come 

saying that ... cocu didn’t even have an effective plan A so hey grateful for small mercies 

He didn't handle the injuries well but they were bad. 3 DM's and 2 Strikers and Lee Grant played with an injury 

He had issues with the back 4 too. Against Brentford I thing Forsyth and Albentosa played CB. Badly. 

He played 3 at the back v Chesterfield I think. Keogh at RCB was bad. He kept drifting to the middle. 

But yeah, no team goes from 433 counter attacking to 541 hoofball to 4231 patient possession to 442 percentage football opponent by opponent 

That was Clement's mad talk too. An adaptable team that can switch it up. In reality what you end up with is a constant chopping and changing causing players to look completely directionless and unable to form any instinctive moves. 

Plan A for Mac was through Martin. Plan B was Christie/Fozzy going past wingers as Ince and Dawkins and Co cut inside. 

Our variety of goals was proof. Lots of low crosses to go with the more memorable Martin/Bryson exchange. 

He even found a starring role for Bradley Johnson after cleaning up from the real super man manager that is Nigel no nonsense Pearson. 

I don't want him back. But he isn't clueless, we were good, fans had fun (those not crying because we only got about 150pts in his first spell). We could be 2-0 down with 30 mins left and we all believed we could win!! Not draw, but actually win. 

Imagine that. 2-0 down and still full of belief. We scored 5+ on multiple occasions. 

With players like Buxton, Keogh, Ward, Russell, Bryson, Dawkins, Forsyth, Wisdom, Thorne etc

If these players were so easy to guide to promotion then I would have thought it odd that Derby has been their highest level of performance. They certainly didn't underachieve wearing our badge

48 minutes ago, ram59 said:

It could be argued that premac1 with Jim Smith was the best football  in over 40 years which came to an end when he left for Man U. How much was down to him or Smith, is unknown, but the magic left soon after Mac. He was considered ahead of his time then, but that was 25 years ago and football has changed and would it work now?

Not often talked about.