What would McClaren do with this team?

DCFC Kicks

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It seems a relatively safe appointment in a time of crisis, the kids will soon get bored! ?

McClaren certainly wouldn't be my first choice manager, but in this very odd position and specific circumstance, it does actually make a lot of sense.

Assuming that we get new owners and they want to pump in a lot of cash, they are likely to want a big name manager - eg Benitez. The problem is that we are so low at present that promotion from this position is unprecedented - indeed, I don't think any team has even finished in the top half from being last with 11 games gone. That means that any long term manager is going to have to spend two seasons in the Championship as a minimum. I think such a manager might be prepared to 'rough it' for one season, but not two. 

That means that the next manager could well be an interim appointment. I can't think of anyone better qualified to give us a short term boost than McClaren. Give him contract until the end of the season, with a guarantee of another two years if he can achieve the 'impossible' and get us promoted - he's not doing much else at present. Assuming he doesn't pull off a miracle, he's likely to steer us well clear of relegation, make the fans want to return to the stadium when it finally re-opens and shoe DCFC to be a rising club to potential new players and sponsors. 

Whoever the new manager is, they need to very quickly turn things around or the future could look very bleak. I really don't think McClaren is the long term solution, but as a short term fix he looks ideal.

4 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

you tell me, you said they had better squads.?

They’re all performing.

The three relegated Prem teams are all stronger. Blackburn, Swansea, Bristol, off the top of my head.

You can’t just say we’re a Top 6 squad and blame Cocu for that not being the case. They’re not performing and it can equally be because as a group they’re mentally weak, cant adapt, don’t play for each other let alone the manager.

We will see though. You might be right. I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

It was jest as you well know. Were you jesting the last few weeks insisting Cocu is sacked. An honourable man might not work again after being removed a third of the way through a long term contract.

Hardly the same....as I said,a very poor comment.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

He didn't handle the injuries well but they were bad. 3 DM's and 2 Strikers and Lee Grant played with an injury 

He had issues with the back 4 too. Against Brentford I thing Forsyth and Albentosa played CB. Badly. 

He played 3 at the back v Chesterfield I think. Keogh at RCB was bad. He kept drifting to the middle. 

But yeah, no team goes from 433 counter attacking to 541 hoofball to 4231 patient possession to 442 percentage football opponent by opponent 

That was Clement's mad talk too. An adaptable team that can switch it up. In reality what you end up with is a constant chopping and changing causing players to look completely directionless and unable to form any instinctive moves. 

Plan A for Mac was through Martin. Plan B was Christie/Fozzy going past wingers as Ince and Dawkins and Co cut inside. 

Our variety of goals was proof. Lots of low crosses to go with the more memorable Martin/Bryson exchange. 

He even found a starring role for Bradley Johnson after cleaning up from the real super man manager that is Nigel no nonsense Pearson. 

I don't want him back. But he isn't clueless, we were good, fans had fun (those not crying because we only got about 150pts in his first spell). We could be 2-0 down with 30 mins left and we all believed we could win!! Not draw, but actually win. 

Imagine that. 2-0 down and still full of belief. We scored 5+ on multiple occasions. 

With players like Buxton, Keogh, Ward, Russell, Bryson, Dawkins, Forsyth, Wisdom, Thorne etc

If these players were so easy to guide to promotion then I would have thought it odd that Derby has been their highest level of performance. They certainly didn't underachieve wearing our badge

Cracking post 

Ok I was being a bit OTT

im Just gobsmacked that so many seem to want him back quite frankly  

8 minutes ago, Lamp Frankard said:

I suspect McClaren would follow his usual cycle by presiding over a sudden upturn in both performances and results followed by the usual downturn, lack of a plan B and the inevitable parting of the ways.

Time to move on.

He had a plan B. 

He just didn't play 5 different formations per match with 3 different styles using 25 players per month. Nobody successful compromises their philosophy. They adapt. And we did. 

Injuries are what tested Mac's depth. Injuries to key positions he then tried to fill with inadequate replacements. 

32 minutes ago, Lamp Frankard said:

I suspect McClaren would follow his usual cycle by presiding over a sudden upturn in both performances and results followed by the usual downturn, lack of a plan B and the inevitable parting of the ways.

Time to move on.

People say ''time to move on'' all the time about Martin and McClaren, but the reason people haven't moved on is simple. We've never brought in a manager that has close to achieved what Mac did, and we've never signed a striker half as competent as Martin in the time he's been here. When we do that, people will move on.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

People say ''time to move on'' all the time about Martin and McClaren, but the reason people haven't moved on is simple. We've never brought in a manager that has close to achieved what Mac did, and we've never signed a striker half as competent as Martin in the time he's been here. When we do that, people will move on.

THIS. Big time!

Of course I mean Colin gets a chance (probably!)...