Peterborough vs Bolton

If we could cherry pick any team to play for this match it would be Carlisle at home. If we mess it up its on us.

I've been bad for this, but i think all this talk of Posh's weakened side is nervous chat. 

FWIW i think Bolton will win on sat but not by more than +2 GD which means we'd have to lose by -2GD at home for the first time this season.

Hopefully we get a early goal, hopefully whilst not match fixing Simmo isn't bothered if we win and we can all relax with a promotion in the bank come Saturday night. 

58 minutes ago, Warren Blufitt said:

It’s 7 goals actually Tam not 4 and there’s no way Posh do that. Wanderers will probably now start with a strong side and see how it goes but even our “weakened” side would still be stronger than Posh if Evatt doesn’t want to risk things. I was just wondering though will the Paul Simpson factor play a part, given his history with you will he really want his team to deny you your promotion?

A four goal victory bridges the seven goal swing required Warren - but it's irrelevant as Derby will not lose to Carlisle. Sure it will be a bit of fun for a while on the final day, but although most Rams fans on here are fairly sensible, they, like us, have their idiots and you really shouldn't encourage them by talking about our chances of replacing them in second. Let their idiots troll our idiots and leave them to it. The sensible Rams - and their manager - were gracious enough to recognise they were lucky to get the points against us to put them where they are so the least we can do is be gracious enough to accept our fate and focus on the our own games - and the fact that we actually threw away the title (and 20+ points) through poor performances against teams in the bottom half earlier in the season. Probably best just to say "well done Derby" and leave it at that.

If Posh field a similarly weakened side to last night then as a mindset we'd have to assume that Bolton will win fairly comfortably. Cheltenham bossed that 2nd string Peterborough team 25 shots (8 on target) to 9 shots (3 on target). Bolton would surely chew that lot up if they fielded the same team again but that's not a reason for extra pressure or worry, it is what it is. If Posh field a weakened side then a very good team in our league (Bolton) would be playing a strategically, consciously weakened opponent and you'd expect them to win. If Bolton win 10-0 it's still all in our hands. Just focus on us and get our job done and it's all academic.

1 hour ago, Warren Blufitt said:

It’s 7 goals actually Tam not 4 and there’s no way Posh do that. Wanderers will probably now start with a strong side and see how it goes but even our “weakened” side would still be stronger than Posh if Evatt doesn’t want to risk things. I was just wondering though will the Paul Simpson factor play a part, given his history with you will he really want his team to deny you your promotion?

Dont think simmo is a cheat, not that kind of person.

10 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

A four goal victory bridges the seven goal swing required Warren - but it's irrelevant as Derby will not lose to Carlisle. Sure it will be a bit of fun for a while on the final day, but although most Rams fans on here are fairly sensible, they, like us, have their idiots and you really shouldn't encourage them by talking about our chances of replacing them in second. Let their idiots troll our idiots and leave them to it. The sensible Rams - and their manager - were gracious enough to recognise they were lucky to get the points against us to put them where they are so the least we can do is be gracious enough to accept our fate and focus on the our own games - and the fact that we actually threw away the title (and 20+ points) through poor performances against teams in the bottom half earlier in the season. Probably best just to say "well done Derby" and leave it at that.

if the unthinkable happens,and we lose 0-1,bolton would only need a 3-0 win to go up,we lose the gd goes down.we need not to concede,and were up,just hope warne doesn't set up for a clean sheet like the last 45 mins of the cambridge match

Dom Dietrich made a good point some weeks ago about seeing the league outside of a Derby bubble. In that, it becomes very easy to catastrophise everything and put more pressure on situations than what’s needed, it’s fairs to say we’ve been guilty of that in recent seasons.

Like now, we think Bolton could go for it on Saturday but realistically can they afford to do it over 90 minutes risking injury to players? If they need 2-3 goals they can’t see what’s happening in our game and try and manage from that perspective either.

Weirdly Ferguson has put Evatt in a more awkward situation than if they tried to win last night in my opinion too.

51 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Dom Dietrich made a good point some weeks ago about seeing the league outside of a Derby bubble. In that, it becomes very easy to catastrophise everything and put more pressure on situations than what’s needed, it’s fairs to say we’ve been guilty of that in recent seasons.

Like now, we think Bolton could go for it on Saturday but realistically can they afford to do it over 90 minutes risking injury to players? If they need 2-3 goals they can’t see what’s happening in our game and try and manage from that perspective either.

Weirdly Ferguson has put Evatt in a more awkward situation than if they tried to win last night in my opinion too.

It will depend what’s happening in our game I guess. If Carlisle grab a first half goal and lead then it’s gonna get very nervous because Bolton have it in them to beat Posh by three goals if they (Bolton) are ‘on it’ and they know we are losing.

Yes, sure, we should manage not to lose, but this ignores the fact that Carlisle have beaten Bolton and Posh this season. Plus they will really be giving it a go in front of their massive (for them) 2,000 traveling fans.

Not liking all this talk/inference that the job is already effectively done.

Our players have, to my mind, (borne out about interview comments by PW, Waggy etc) switched off in a couple of games recently when the opposition was rated as weak and we thought we could just turn up and win. We cannot afford any complacency at the weekend.

14 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Didn't Posh break the EFL rules for changing line up drastically without proper reason? Imagine the sides fighting down there won't be happy with that.

The EFL needs to be having words with Ferguson for riding roughshod over the leagues integrity. He should be threatened with a 20 point deduction if it happens again. Suspect Ferguson would rather play Barnsley than form horse Lincoln.

Assuming we finish in second I’d like to see Bolton win the playoffs.

Let’s hope they do, Derbys defence isn’t the best and they could easily slip up doing that. Come on you Carlisle. 🥳

https://www.wanderersways.com/forum/topic/103103-posh/page/6/

We only have the keeper with the joint most clean sheets and the fewest goals conceded in the league. 18 goals conceded at home all season.

I'd actually go so far as to say we DO have the best defence.

That’s a good question actually- (without tempting fate at all) , who would we prefer to go up in third if we got the auto second spot….??

Me…. I would like Lincoln to do it…. Failing that Posh cos i love how they play football and always go for it.

BW play nice football but there’s an element of ‘arrogance’ with them that I don’t warm to and Evatt’s whining about a threadbare squad and forward line (when they were able to go out and buy Collins in Jan) has just got on my t*ts.

11 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

The EFL needs to be having words with Ferguson for riding roughshod over the leagues integrity. He should be threatened with a 20 point deduction if it happens again. Suspect Ferguson would rather play Barnsley than form horse Lincoln.

Assuming we finish in second I’d like to see Bolton win the playoffs.

I'd rather Lincoln, Blackpool or even Oxford win the playoffs - I would fancy our chances of finishing above them in the Championship next season (assuming of course we ro the business on Saturday).

25 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I disagree with play-offs. You've done enough to prove yourself over 46 matches, to finish 3rd in my opinion. Seems unfair you could fail to gain promotion to a team in 6th, finishing say,  20 points behind you and winning the play-offs

I do find myself agreeing with this, and sometimes it feels as if there's more prestige to going up through the playoffs than there is coming second (matron!)

That said, for me, I'd change the format: 

3rd goes straight to the final, 4th place becomes the semi vs. the winner of 5th vs. 6th.
Single games, at neutral venues, final at Wembley.

Will never happen, mind.

57 minutes ago, angieram said:

Blackpool please - certainly one of the better awaydays and decent fans.

Definitely Blackpool, then play them away early or late in the season.

Two or three years ago I was getting a bit fed up of visiting the same grounds every season Bristol City, Preston etc, now we’re hoping and praying we will be back there next season.😂