Peterborough vs Bolton

15 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I do find myself agreeing with this, and sometimes it feels as if there's more prestige to going up through the playoffs than there is coming second (matron!)

That said, for me, I'd change the format: 

3rd goes straight to the final, 4th place becomes the semi vs. the winner of 5th vs. 6th.
Single games, at neutral venues, final at Wembley.

Will never happen, mind.

I think I would rather there was a breaking the link with "automatic promotion" with the third spot.  So, I would have third bottom from league above join a league with third in this league (to avoid relegation).  The next 4-7 play a round of one off games to join to make the final two (of join main play off).

There be a draw for who plays team from 3rd bottom (of league above) and who plays 3rd from top (of this).  Then a final.  

Would create more to play for at the bottom as well as top, as even if relegated you might be able to claw yourself to a chance of survival.  No more games dates.  And less bitterness over finishing third.  

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

I disagree with play-offs. You've done enough to prove yourself over 46 matches, to finish 3rd in my opinion. Seems unfair you could fail to gain promotion to a team in 6th, finishing say,  20 points behind you and winning the play-offs

Ive always thought that, how is it a team in 6th can go up. Dosnt matter about that though its all about money. Dont agree with parachute payments either.

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Weirdly Ferguson has put Evatt in a more awkward situation than if they tried to win last night in my opinion too.

Totally agree with this - Ferguson has rested some of his better players and removed the risk of injury, tiredness and suspension in preparation for the playoffs, whereas Evatt is now faced with a game of chicken trying to work out who should be risked and at what point does he take the better players off? The chances of you not winning and us winning by 3 or more is 175 -1 with some bookies so why does he even consider playing his best side against Posh? Other than the argument of coming into the playoffs with a winning mentality? He could regret it if key players are injured again at this stage. It's a dilemma.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I do find myself agreeing with this, and sometimes it feels as if there's more prestige to going up through the playoffs than there is coming second (matron!)

That said, for me, I'd change the format: 

3rd goes straight to the final, 4th place becomes the semi vs. the winner of 5th vs. 6th.

Will never happen, mind.

I've been saying that this should happen for many years. It has so many advantages over the current unfair system.

It rewards every single place from third to sixth, with each place having a better chance of promotion than the place behind.

It will help reduce the likelyhood of dead rubber games where a team can rest players like last night.

It maintains the spirit and excitement of the playoffs in every game, as they're all sudden death, whereas now there is an anti climax at the end of the first legs.

I cannot understand why this format hasn't even been trialled for one season.

13 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Totally agree with this - Ferguson has rested some of his better players and removed the risk of injury, tiredness and suspension in preparation for the playoffs, whereas Evatt is now faced with a game of chicken trying to work out who should be risked and at what point does he take the better players off? The chances of you not winning and us winning by 3 or more is 175 -1 with some bookies so why does he even consider playing his best side against Posh? Other than the argument of coming into the playoffs with a winning mentality? He could regret it if key players are injured again at this stage. It's a dilemma.

We've been there a few years back in the Championship playoffs and played our best player in a nothing fixture, only for him to break his leg or something like that. 

If I were Evatt, I would play the U12 team to make sure key players and their back ups' backups were fresh going in to the inevitable play off battle...

P.S. @Day i really miss that ninja assassin emoji we used to have on here years back...

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

Very much hope he takes a cautious approach, but I doubt it. 

Pressure can do funny things, particularly if there's an early goal or two. 

Hopefully this is where my mocking of our 'good characters' recruitment policy comes back to bite me on the a***, and all that experience really does get us over the line. 

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

I've been saying that this should happen for many years. It has so many advantages over the current unfair system.

It rewards every single place from third to sixth, with each place having a better chance of promotion than the place behind.

It will help reduce the likelyhood of dead rubber games where a team can rest players like last night.

It maintains the spirit and excitement of the playoffs in every game, as they're all sudden death, whereas now there is an anti climax at the end of the first legs.

I think Rugby League may use something like this but it includes all top teams - basically if you win the league you are in the final (or possibly semi?) of the knockout.  Winning the league is not as good as winning the Grand Final of the knockout, which is seen as the big prize.

As for @CBX1985's suggestion about including a team from the league above - I think this was the case when play-offs first started but it only lasted for the blink of an eye.

If you look at the pros and cons of play-offs then, assuming we go up, it's tough on Bolton who then have an equal chance of going up with maybe someone like Blackpool but......something like 9 out of the last day's 12 fixtures still have something riding on them.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

I do like this. The one potential downside is the gap without a fixture for the team who finished third. Sure, they would be more rested but potentially not as match sharp.

Edited by DerbyPride

3 hours ago, Phoenix said:

I disagree with play-offs. You've done enough to prove yourself over 46 matches, to finish 3rd in my opinion. Seems unfair you could fail to gain promotion to a team in 6th, finishing say,  20 points behind you and winning the play-offs

Money dictates so very doubtful it’ll ever change. I’ve said third and fourth should have a one off leg at theirs, but the money/tv factor….so what about  have two legs both played at the higher teams ground. Genuine advantage to the third and fourth placed teams. 

4 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

...That said, for me, I'd change the format: 

Will never happen, mind.

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

Not quite, as a neutral ground was suggested, so no advantage finishing 5th over 6th.
If the higher placed team was to get a home tie, then you'd be bang on.

32 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not quite, as a neutral ground was suggested, so no advantage finishing 5th over 6th.
If the higher placed team was to get a home tie, then you'd be bang on.

Correct, I didn't read his proposal properly.🙄

Regarding the finalists having a long break, I think that any third placed club would rather go straight to a Wembley final rather than one or two play off semi finals, beforehand.

6 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

I think I would rather there was a breaking the link with "automatic promotion" with the third spot.  So, I would have third bottom from league above join a league with third in this league (to avoid relegation).  The next 4-7 play a round of one off games to join to make the final two (of join main play off).

There be a draw for who plays team from 3rd bottom (of league above) and who plays 3rd from top (of this).  Then a final.  

Would create more to play for at the bottom as well as top, as even if relegated you might be able to claw yourself to a chance of survival.  No more games dates.  And less bitterness over finishing third.  

This was how it started.

5 hours ago, ram59 said:

...well that's what happens in the National League!

4 hours ago, DerbyPride said:

I do like this. The one potential downside is the gap without a fixture for the team who finished third. Sure, they would be more rested but potentially not as match sharp.

This is exactly how the playoffs are implemented in the National League and many leagues below.Its a great way of rewarding the higher placed teams..no idea why the EFL don't do something similar.

4 hours ago, DerbyPride said:

You could fix that by a simple tweak. Only 3rd, 4th and 5th contest the play-offs.

Edited by Red Ram

28 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

This is exactly how the playoffs are implemented in the National League and many leagues below.Its a great way of rewarding the higher placed teams..no idea why the EFL don't do something similar.

I think it might be because the EFL are.... (deep breath).... Short-sighted, useles, incompetent, buffoons who have no idea of fair play and who wouldn't recognise a good idea if it were gift-wrapped and accompanied with a large neon sign saying  ' A GOOD IDEA'.