Match Thread: Leyton Orient (h)

22 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Have to remember next season whatever league were it’ll be our first in as long as i can remember without any embargo, restrictions or strict efl business plan.

Im not expecting us to be reckless, but the simple fact is were one of the best supported clubs outside the premiership, hell the country.

im expecting a bit of an overhaul, theyll be plenty of players if derby county come knocking theyll answer our call.. play infront of 30 thousand … we aint going to struggle to attract better players next year, regardless of where we are.

within our own budget that said, im not expecting us to spend millions again, but we can be shrewd 

coyr 

It will be interesting to see the type of player Warne wants. So far our signings under him scream physicality, which in fairness we did need after being a soft touch at times last season.

But next season, we will need more control to compete. Trying to just outwork and outrun teams at Championship level won’t work, but I’m sure Warne is aware of this having been relegated with Rotherham twice playing that way.

18 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

This kind of comment really annoys me. He was a fool at Northampton but once he’d overcome the errors in his early days at Derby I don’t believe he’s been that much better or worse than most players. It reminds me of the “Keogh’s always got a mistake in him” stuff we used to see.

Agree to disagree. Was perhaps a bit unnecessary today, but no ill will. Means I hope to see what I think is the real Bradley from now on. Statistically, however, I stand by the fact that he has so far been a disappointment on field with significantly more catastrophic errors than the average centre back in a top team in L1. However, he has every opportunity to come back, but if he had been a young centre back from his own ranks who had a season like this, he would never have had that chance.

12 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Agree to disagree. Was perhaps a bit unnecessary today, but no ill will. Means I hope to see what I think is the real Bradley from now on. Statistically, however, I stand by the fact that he has so far been a disappointment on field with significantly more catastrophic errors than the average centre back in a top team in L1. However, he has every opportunity to come back, but if he had been a young centre back from his own ranks who had a season like this, he would never have had that chance.

What are your figures to back up that statistical conclusion apart from his first few games that I have agreed weren’t great?

I thought the label you had attached to him was just a poor, annd unnecessary, attempt at a bit of humour.

Edited by Tamworthram

That's Peterborough out of contention then. All eyes on Bolton's midweek game, but they should beat Shrewsbury. 

Win at Cambridge, who are pretty much safe, and we could go up. 

Carlisle are down, so will Simmo give us an easy ride on the final day?

1 minute ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

That's Peterborough out of contention then. All eyes on Bolton's midweek game, but they should beat Shrewsbury. 

Win at Cambridge, who are pretty much safe, and we could go up. 

Carlisle are down, so will Simmo give us an easy ride on the final day?

Probably but not mathematically yet. 

5 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Could do with them winning their next 3, as long we beat Cambridge obviously.

Our goal difference is 13 better than theirs, so if they go into the final day 3 points behind us, they'll be mathematically in it, but very, very, very unlikely to overtake us. Gives them more impetus to get something off Bolton, which then makes our task against Carlisle easier too.

43 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It will be interesting to see the type of player Warne wants. So far our signings under him scream physicality, which in fairness we did need after being a soft touch at times last season.

But next season, we will need more control to compete. Trying to just outwork and outrun teams at Championship level won’t work, but I’m sure Warne is aware of this having been relegated with Rotherham twice playing that way.

He was relegated twice because od a lack of resources once he was in the championship and losing players once promoted...

Let's give the guy a chance once we get there,after all we gave Rooney a go with zero qualifications (or ability as it turned out) and he got us relegated whilst playing particularly s**** football

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Carlisle will practically be on there hols when we play them , the Cambridge away is massive and for some reason I don't think we need to win it as long as we don't lose because 4 points would put us on 90

Bolton would have to win there last 3 to overtake us and I don't think they will 

But obviously....lets go and win at Cambridge , but its a tight little pitch not a lot of width and just hope we get off to a good start and an early goal , my Charlton mates said Cambridge were quite poor today and Charlton had lots of chances but just didn't take them 

46 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think we will see a player or two that can do a bit 

i think JJ was a budget example of what he wants.

hes already said many a time, speed kills .. and it does. Im expecting us to be quick and stronger still.

and as u say.. hopefully with a little control in there too.. i mean a better version of a mr CH would be nice lol

54 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Ward, Wilson, Elder, Washington, John-Jules, Embleton don’t “scream physicality” to me…

Bradley and Nelson are central defenders, I’d want them to be physical. Adams is a destructor in midfield, again would want physicality in that role…. But yeah, let’s keep up the “he only signs athletes” line shall we

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The original point I made was that more physical sides are better at set-pieces than technical sides. For some reason you claim this is drivel when it’s pretty evident, especially outside of PL level where the riches allow Liverpool and City to have players who possess both.

Warne evidently favors physicality over technical ability. The reason why Adams looks technical is because he is playing a league below. Derby’s players are better than most at this level, regardless of physical attributes. Adams didn’t cut it at Championship level with Cardiff yet League One appears a breeze for him. 

Warne has succeeded by getting us to at least match, often overcome the opponent’s physical attributes while seeing our higher individual quality come through. We have won countless games this season just through individual quality - the sort of quality the opponents don’t possess.

At Championship level we won’t be able to rely on that, because with a lower half budget, we’ll likely come up against opponents of better individual quality.

Not true. The “original” comment you made was that Warne favours grunt football. So please stop shifting the goal posts.

We may struggle next season to get the right players, simply on the basis of funds available relative to our competitors, but that doesn’t make Warne Neanderthal… which WAS your original point no matter how you duck and dive. Sorry Bris, I hate falling out with people but you are a scratched record from a dull band. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

What are your figures to back up that statistical conclusion apart from his first few games that I have agreed weren’t great?

I thought the label you had attached to him was just a poor, annd unnecessary, attempt at a bit of humour.

Ratings:

Raggett 7.11

Shaughnessy 7.3

Santos 7.24

Cash 7.5

Nelson 7.1

Edwards 7.1

Knight 7.2 

Bradley 6.7

Curtis Davies 6.9

But you are off course right in your conclusion that if you disregard a few games when he played poorly then it looks better. Might as well take away his games against Northampton and Reading when we are at it. That is however true for all other players as well so forgive me for having a bit of a hard time taking that argument  seriously.

I thought Bradley would be an upgrade on Curtis but for me he really is not. Money wasted so far from the club but that is my opinion. I thought he was great today and hope to see a lot more of that which was my intention to write in my post when I also labelled him Super Sonny. 

(And also I really like Keogh before the incident).

Edited by InstaRam

Think if we get promoted Warne might go for physicality but hopefully the quality of player will be higher than at Rotherham. Either way if it happens we will have to see.

One piece of great news, we now have plus 1 Derby fan, my friends lad loved his first game even doing some bouncing in the West Stand, choosing his favourite player: "The guy with the shoulders" Nate, obvs! and wanting to go again as soon as possible. It made today exceptional for me, you dont get to introduce a new fan everyday.

Anyway, pressure is on Bolton now they've got to win the last 3 in a row surely. Impressed with Thompson today, might see the 3 central midfield combo for the last two now, Bird, Thompson Smith, Adams, 3 out of those four should dominate possession in L1. Less attackers maybe but pragmatism will be the order of the day.

Edited by Chopper

2 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

A big shout out for Sibley’s tackle in the second half at 2-0. I enjoyed that as much as a goal as we were allowing them too much of the ball at the time. Another good performance. 

Things do appear a lot brighter today. 2 wins needed now. Don’t c*** it up!!!

🐏🐏🐏

My sister (I was her carer today as her hubby was poorly so I was up on the wheelchair platform in the NE corner) said "I wish Sibley could tackle - everything else in his game is brilliant").

30 seconds later, you could hear the crunch. It was excellent - and inspirational.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

My sister (I was her carer today as her hubby was poorly so I was up on the wheelchair platform in the NE corner) said "I wish Sibley could tackle - everything else in his game is brilliant").

30 seconds later, you could hear the crunch. It was excellent - and inspirational.

Nice observation Eddie. Sibs didn’t produce a champagne moment (cut in, left foot bullet top corner ) but he was aggressive, alert, positive and all in all played his heart out for the team. MOTM ? Dunno, but he he was up there and played with skill and commitment. … in playground picks based on today, we’d all want Sibs. Take a bow Louis