Match Thread: vs Blackpool (h)

48 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

P.G Wodehouse from the directors box.

The Rams, dashed onto the verdant stage of Pride Park this fine afternoon, their hearts aflutter with the prospect of securing three points to solidify their automatic promotion berth. Despite their lengthy injury roster, the lineup boasted an air of resplendence that would make even the most stoic of fans tip their hats to the physio team in admiration.

NML, akin to a modern-day Lazarus, had risen from the infirmary to grace the field, while CBT took his place amongst the starting eleven. Memories of Blackpool’s prior triumph in August lingered like the faint aroma of mulligatawny soup in a humble eatery—a dish best left unstirred.

With a collective determination to erase the memory of their lacklustre performance at Northampton, the Rams elevated their game to dizzying heights. Bradley, orchestrating affairs from the stands with the flair of a seasoned conductor, directed the stewards with a whirl of his arms.

Then, in a moment that shall be etched in the annals of footballing lore, Adams seized upon a loose ball at the precipice of the penalty area, unleashing a half-volley of such precision and velocity that it nestled, like a contented dormouse, into the top corner of the net, a goal that clinched victory for the Rams.

But it was then all hands to the pumps with Cashin and Nelson, akin to gladiators of old, forming an impregnable wall alongside the stalwart trio of Wildsmith, Ward, and Sibley. And lo, the Birmingham Buffalo strode the field with a majesty befitting of ancient monarchs.

As the final whistle heralded relief and jubilation in equal measure, Warne, the tactical maestro, engaged in a spirited dance with Ebou at the centre circle—a spectacle reminiscent of the finest ballroom extravaganzas. Let us now set our sights on Tuesday’s encounter with Pompey, dear reader, and may we waltz past them with the grace and finesse of true champions. Up the Rams!

The usual 10 out of 10 from me, sire, but with the offering of a bonus point for the inclusion of a mention of my most favoured soup within the text of a football match report.  This is the very day one assumed one would never witness.

The sincerity of my gratitude offers no bounds, dear fellow.

👍 

24 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

The ref was overly fussy but can't recall any major errors but the twonk running the West Stand line was just an incompetent buffoon.

I felt the same. The ref was petty and stopped the game flowing but you get those sometimes. I’d say Blackpool got the best of the decisions(I would wouldn’t I 🤣) but his bookings were spot on.

The Lino on the East side sounded as bad as yours .. But for some epic blocks, clearances and scrambling we might have conceeded when 2 Blackpool boys were yards offside unnoticed then a flag when Wash (I think)  timed a run perfectly, being at least a yard on side when the ball was played. 

1 minute ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

My take on today, yes we deserved to win, didn’t play that well but who cares at this stage of the season.

Ref was very picky and some of the offsides looked debatable 🤔

Thought Warne got team selection bang on, glad to see Smith start ahead of Hourihane.

CBT, did ok but still needs to work a lot harder for me and probably for Warne, but still could be a match winner for us. He so reminds me of Mendez Laing when he first arrived 

Wilson and Ward down the right hand side, I believe this can work and both did ok today, Ward is an unbelievable crosser of the ball, if only wede got Gayle fit to get on the end of em.

Washington looked lively but not match fit, but still a better option than Waggy

All in all 3 points with most of the others around us slipping up, so a good day at the office 👌

Oh and I forgot to mention Adams, 1st half in particular I would of given him 10/10, what a signing he is a total rock in midfield, if wede of had him at the start of the season we would be promoted already.

I’ve read a few times that Washington looked lively.

I thought he looked lazy. He and NML regularly failed to close down defenders and created very little. Even when Wash got the dream chance, he fluffed it.

I thought he was our weakest player.

Everyone else deserved 7 or higher except perhaps NML who still looks like he’s struggling for fitness.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I thought he looked lazy. He and NML regularly failed to close down defenders and created very little. Even when Wash got the dream chance, he fluffed it.

Everyone else deserved 7 or higher except perhaps NML who still looks like he’s struggling for fitness.

I think there was quite a lot of coaching and tactics in that performance. I do see what you are saying but the sort of player Wash is means he is a better player with a foil to do the give and goes. He strikes me as a short bursts of energy feeding off others type of player, a harrier that needs a base stone ? Yes , in round figures he wasn’t quite on it today but give him a couple of games to get to speed and he will contribute. 

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I wouldn't say he was lazy - more sluggish, not surprising given the length of his lay off.

Just got in, Scoffed my tea and now my thoughts, We were OK nowt more and nowt less, Adams goal sealed it and taken very well, 1st half I was impressed wit CBT went at em when driving into the box, I thought NML was off it but that's just me.

2nd half we seemed to defend a little deeper and let Blackpool have the ball They like to play on the floor and find those little spaces, A scary moment 2nd half when Pool had 3 chances and all were blocked where players put their bodies on the line.

Both keepers had little to do but what they did they did well, Crowd were in good voice and the hail made a racket at HT, All in all a hard worked 3 points...sod the performance those 3 points were earned.

Results from the chasing pack make today a lot better 👌

Don’t think Warne will get the credit he deserves for this one, but was a bit of a masterclass imo (and huge credit to the players for executing). Wasn’t a vintage performance but you could see at every turn the players letting the least threatening player have the ball and talking and pointing to each other to get into position and be organised, instead of a relentless closing down approach that we don’t have in us at this point of questionable fitness and squad depth. Wash and NML, especially, clearly not fully fit and we played accordingly, with another tough test on Tuesday. Not sexy, but exactly what we needed at this point of proceedings. 5 more cup finals, and no doubt more twists and turns, but we’ve got a chance.

37 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

what a difference a week makes.... 

the results are going in our favour! Bolton have to win every game and i think this extra game is really going to count against them at this stage. If you count today, they have 7 games in 30 days and can't slip up, plus they have Portsmouth and Peterborough....

Aldi champagne on ice.

Bolton only need two wins to overtake us if we lose the next five.

16 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Everyone else deserved 7 or higher except perhaps NML who still looks like he’s struggling for fitness

Total agree mate. I thought Washington did nothing.

He just jogged from one defender to another kinda closing them down. Obviously he was under orders to not commit himself and get beaten but he had no intensity or change of pace and didn't work back if they worked it round him. He didn't hold the ball up and had one golden chance that he fluffed.

Collins instantly came on and worked harder, held the ball up better and was smarter with his passes.

Nelson and Cashin were immaculate. 

Ward really good today,  tenacious with decent passing. Wilson was quite conservative but solid.

Smith hard working and did the simple stuff. Adams MoTM again, great goal and all-action as always.

Sibley played better than recently and looked more composed. CBT started to look a danger but final ball wasn't great.

NML didn't beat his man once really but always looks a threat still.

Edited by Chester40

Real Warne-ball victory.

Score from a corner,  dig-in and sit back and win. 

Not really much 'long ball' today but pretty negative in not committing players forward. 

Not seeing all this 'great football' from Blackpool. They were similar to how Derby can be, lots of passing across the backine but no idea how to create an actual chance.

One great chance near the end when Derby heroically threw themselves in the way of a flurry of shots.

Derby shaded it, tough watch at times. Not aided by a ref who blew for every tiny bit of contact on a Blackpool player.

Edited by Chester40

12 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I thought apart from the first 10 mins of the second half and the initial 3 minutes after Waggy and Fornah came on, we were tactically good today.

We are down to the bare bones with several playing who aren't 100% fit. We tired and were right to sit off them second half then break.

Not am amazing performance but deserved the win.

Onwards and upwards 

9 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Total agree mate. I thought Washington did nothing.

He just jogged from one defender to another kinda closing them down. Obviously he was under orders to not commit himself and get beaten but he had no intensity or change of pace and didn't work back if they worked it round him. He didn't hold the ball up and had one golden chance that he fluffed.

Collins instantly came on and worked harder, held the ball up better and was smarter with his passes.

Personally I think your being a bit harsh on Wash, yeh I don’t disagree what your saying but we should cut him a bit of slack, he’s been out for Christ knows how many months and is obviously not match fit, in fact if we weren’t in such a state injury wise he wouldn’t of started today, just saying like.👍