Match Thread: vs Blackpool (h)

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

"Heavily backed" by a midtable budget?

Top end midtable/top 6 I reckon backing I reckon certainly considerably more backing than Warne would get next season in the championship. Their budget will be more than Ipswich, and even the baggies, Cov, Preston the majority of the teams fighting for that 5th and 6th spot. Look at the signings they’ve made. Philogene £5m+, Aaron Connolly who won’t be on cheap wages either, Delap will come with a hefty wage contribution. He’s done a solid job at Hull but no more. 

FWIW I didn’t agree with letting him go and i liked what he was trying to build, but I also don’t get those (mainly on Twitter) who whenever Hull win point Rosenior effectively saying “this is what we could’ve won” and use it as another stick to beat Warne with. There are no guarantees we’d have fared any better under Liam, I actually don’t think we would’ve fared any better. 

4 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Potentially they look like they’ve blown playoffs despite being very heavily backed by their owners. Was thinking exactly the same about Blackpool. 

Not as heavily backed as many of the clubs up there, what they have done is to rely heavily on the short term loan market in order to get the magic ticket to the Premier. We nearly did it with Mount, Wilson and Tomori, whereas they have got 8 players on loan in their squad.

There are advantages and disadvantages to this tactic, it's cheaper in the short term but means a massive rebuild next season whatever league they're in, as we found out after our 3 returned to their clubs. Also it doesn't seem that they're building a team for the future, even though they have no restrictions, something PW is criticised for. Unless, LR is just buying time until a good crop of youngsters come through.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Top end midtable/top 6 I reckon backing I reckon certainly considerably more backing than Warne would get next season in the championship. Their budget will be more than Ipswich, and even the baggies, Cov, Preston the majority of the teams fighting for that 5th and 6th spot. Look at the signings they’ve made. Philogene £5m+, Aaron Connolly who won’t be on cheap wages either, Delap will come with a hefty wage contribution. He’s done a solid job at Hull but no more. 

FWIW I didn’t agree with letting him go and i liked what he was trying to build, but I also don’t get those (mainly on Twitter) who whenever Hull win point Rosenior effectively saying “this is what we could’ve won” and use it as another stick to beat Warne with. There are no guarantees we’d have fared any better under Liam, I actually don’t think we would’ve fared any better. 

Their transfer spend this season was funded by last season's sales.

Their wage bill last season was only £23.6m which is ranked only 14th is the league. You're looking at over £35m for a top 6 wage budget (Bristol City would have been 7th last season with £35.9m).

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Their wage bill last season was only £23.6m which is ranked only 14th is the league. You're looking at over £35m for a top 6 wage budget (Bristol City would have been 7th last season with £35.9m).

To be fair I think the crux is that with spend , budget and squad LR is not over performing or setting the world alight , seems a lot of draws and not a great goal difference, I like the bloke but in fairness wasn’t enthused by the football we played under him though short period , lots seem to think warne is only scraping the bare min from our squad and LR would be getting far more but reality is the jury is still out on what LR will achieve as a manager 

I think with the likes of Delap and Carvalho on loan, plus the permanent signings they've made with some of the Lewis-Potter money, their owner has given the sort of backing that he would expect results from. Whether a top 10 finish outside the playoffs is enough remains to be seen. They might still make the playoffs, which I would have thought would keep the owner happy for now.

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’d be very interested to know what their wage budget is for this season and reckon it would be around the figures you’re quoting for top 6.

However - £23.6m being 14th highest wage bill and £35.9m being 7th highest is frightening!! When Mel was going mad overpaying our wage bill was £45m so not much more. Just shows we’ve got it all on to compete when we do get back to the championship. Hopefully being leaner with a couple of astute signings, clever use of loan market and a couple of academy players able to make the step up at the right time will give us a chance. 

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Next season in the championship the wage bill table will be heavily skewed ny Forest being there with their 120m or so...

It'll be far more than that, it was 147m last season, don't you think that they'll be strengthening their squad for a big promotion push.🙄🤔😂

On 31/03/2024 at 07:16, Mucker1884 said:

I noticed that.  I smiled and applauded.

This is not a time for honour and morality.  Now is the time we need to join the masses, and sh***ouse our way to victory!  😁 

… don’t disagree but it is a shame  people on here get up in arms when other teams (or their mascots) do it. 
(I assume she meant discreet not discrete)