Match Thread: vs Blackpool (h)

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

It’s entirely alien to me to effectively watch a team come to Pride Park and allow them to dominate play and possession to the point where to me it’s “anti-football”. Goes against every sinew of my football-loving being. Ok we got the 3 points and we looked reasonably comfortable but for me it’s high risk and not how I would ever set up a team to play. It’s not the spirit of the beautiful game. 

Absolutely how I feel in most home games - successful maybe - enjoyable as a football spectacle, no chance 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

It’s entirely alien to me to effectively watch a team come to Pride Park and allow them to dominate play and possession to the point where to me it’s “anti-football”. Goes against every sinew of my football-loving being. Ok we got the 3 points and we looked reasonably comfortable but for me it’s high risk and not how I would ever set up a team to play. It’s not the spirit of the beautiful game. 

Actually I thought first half the game was very even in terms of football, passing chances. I enjoyed it. We did sit back with a view to countering second half which I didn't enjoy but currently the team are very good at it. 

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

And that's the nub really isn't it... especially next season with no restrictions,  no excuses about them not being his players etc... if we continue to play that way every week without the results he won't last long. 

Can he genuinely change? Tbh I doubt it.... so its whether we keep on winning games or not.

It’s an interesting debate isn’t it. ? I can’t decide. There are times, when we are on song, playing pretty good mixed football. Sure some long stuff but some decent on the ground intricacy with it.  Then you get Warne saying in post match interviews that he wants them to take more risks and how he loves it when Wilson takes on his man. So far so good, BUT we then lapse in to a gloomy safety first 3 touches when one will do and all the instinctivness and flair just disappears as if it was never there. We look ponderous and slow. No one touch, no urgency. It’s odd. 

4 hours ago, jono said:

...Sibs has considerable abilities and is one of the few that has the potential to create a champagne moment but he is also more inconsistent and error prone than one would expect in someone with his level of natural talents

Not at all what you'd expect from a player of Sibs experience. The way you comment on my comments is very amusing. I only do it because your view of Sibs is typically 'one-eyed'. 😆

Edited by RoyMac5

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not at all what you'd expect from a player of Sibs experience. The way you comment on my comments is very amusing. I only do it because your view of Sibs is typically 'one-eyed'. 😆

I thought yesterday was one of his better performances. But I do agree he can appear more clumsy and liable to make a really sloppy pass than other players.

When he not playing well, he's really one-footed, not great in the air, not lightening quick...and for me, he doesn't 'look' like a footballer at times. Out wide, he doesn't suddenly shift like NML or able to really 'trick' his way past a man like Wilson.

Yesterday he utilised what he has got...a decent football brain,  desire, aggression, a sweet left foot and a strong engine. I'm not sure he's quite 'good' enough to be a number 10 at a higher level. But if he set his mind to it, I think he could be a dynamic Le Saux /Cole/Hinchcliffe type attacking full back who gets a few goals too.

He could definitely do Hourihane's job in centre mid now though,  take the ball off the center backs, pass it 5 yards and take all the freekicks!

Great result and what a difference a week makes, but there’s still a long way to go and lots of twists and turns yet I am sure. Bolton have two relatively ‘easy’ (on paper) games next which I expect them to win, even though (like us) they aren’t playing particularly well. Dion Charles also likely to be back soon. Their form has been poor overall since Xmas but they haven't lost many games 

If (as most of us expect) we lose to Pompey then by the end of next week Bolton could be right up on top of us again. Even a point at Pompey would be massive !
The key may well be the GD- so , even if we do lose, then it needs to be by the odd goal and ditto any Bolton wins.

Still see this going down to the last game if I am honest. 

Real squeaky bum time … COYR 🐏🐏

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Great win and 3 points. All other results going our way too. Not even Derby can f*** it up from this point can we? Up the Rams!!

Oh I reckon Warney could give it a go.....just for s***s and giggles.....

Lots of possible tried and underwhelmed permutations coming back.....we could yet see any/all of.....

- Sonny bossing a back 3

- Bird and Hourihane as a midfield 2

- Joe Ward at right back stemming the tide, behind Kane Wilson 

- Liam as a 10

- Sonny as a 9

Much to salivate over......

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I find your ripostes equally amusing.  My “one eyed” comments that weigh his good and bad traits sit well with your monocular refusal to accept anything other than drooling praise or criticism of management concerning his deployment on the field of play. The boy is clearly a genius. Do tell me how we resisted all those PL callers last transfer window ? . It must be a miracle.

9 hours ago, Chester40 said:

And that's the nub really isn't it... especially next season with no restrictions,  no excuses about them not being his players etc... if we continue to play that way every week without the results he won't last long. 

Can he genuinely change? Tbh I doubt it.... so its whether we keep on winning games or not.

I don't think sitting back on a 1-0 lead is the way Warne wants to play. I think from what we've heard from the man himself it's clear what he wants to do. High energy, high press, attacking football. And I think when we get some younger more 'athletic' players in, we will see that. He's hinted at it a lot this season. 

When you are at the game and compare to comments on here…. Can be quite remarkable…… enjoyed the game against opponents wanting to play football. Hope Blackpool make the play offs . Entertaining game for me. Wasn't even that bladdered so have a considered opinion…. Wild far too few mentions for his excellent performance. Left me a content Ram not just  the victory but back on tract. We can do this. Keep the faith Rams 

19 hours ago, Crewton said:

Because they think Critchley's football is too risk-averse. Possession for the sake of it. Yet they have the best GD outside of the top 6.

Blackpool play the same style as a former DCFC manager, Looks pretty but not very effective in the final 3rd, Had the lions share, Had more shots at goal but couldn't score.

Now how did HCFC do on Friday 😁

5 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Blackpool play the same style as a former DCFC manager, Looks pretty but not very effective in the final 3rd, Had the lions share, Had more shots at goal but couldn't score.

Potentially they look like they’ve blown playoffs despite being very heavily backed by their owners. Was thinking exactly the same about Blackpool. 

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Potentially they look like they’ve blown playoffs despite being very heavily backed by their owners. Was thinking exactly the same about Blackpool. 

Delap's injury seems to have knocked them back. Losing at home to St Joke on Friday was a blow. They still have a chance, but others seem to be in better form. It'll be interesting to see what the owner does if they fall short, but no-one is very patient these days, certainly not wealthy owners.

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

Boring. 

Your needless dig at LR I mean.  Not Hulls performance.

Edited by Blondest Goat

20 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Absolutely how I feel in most home games - successful maybe - enjoyable as a football spectacle, no chance 

I can deal with it in certain games, Bolton being a good example. Against the vast majority of teams though I think we’d be better just trying to score a second! Kills the game effectively.