Match Thread: vs Blackpool (h)

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It’s entirely alien to me to effectively watch a team come to Pride Park and allow them to dominate play and possession to the point where to me it’s “anti-football”. Goes against every sinew of my football-loving being. Ok we got the 3 points and we looked reasonably comfortable but for me it’s high risk and not how I would ever set up a team to play. It’s not the spirit of the beautiful game. 

It can't happen in the long term. I could understand it yesterday re the team we had out.

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

I wonder why Blackpool fans were booing so heavily at full time ?

Probably because the ref didn’t give a free-kick every rime one if their players dived to the ground - just 95% of the time. One if their coaching staff got booked just before the final whistle, probably for a similar moan.

Just now, Kernow said:

They were actually shouting “Ebouuuu”. They knew they saw something special.

Aye just like when the Real Madrid fans gave Ronaldinho a standing ovation after he ripped them apart? 

Just now, DavesaRam said:

Probably because the ref didn’t give a free-kick every rime one if their players dived to the ground - just 95% of the time. One if their coaching staff got booked just before the final whistle, probably for a similar moan.

No from where I was it looked like they were booing Critchley/the players. Could be wrong though

6 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I wonder why Blackpool fans were booing so heavily at full time ?

Because they think Critchley's football is too risk-averse. Possession for the sake of it. Yet they have the best GD outside of the top 6.

35 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It’s entirely alien to me to effectively watch a team come to Pride Park and allow them to dominate play and possession to the point where to me it’s “anti-football”. Goes against every sinew of my football-loving being. Ok we got the 3 points and we looked reasonably comfortable but for me it’s high risk and not how I would ever set up a team to play. It’s not the spirit of the beautiful game. 

Completely this. I’ll doff my cap to Warne IF he gets is up, but, bloomin-ell, I’d love to see some sustained ‘good’ football from the Rams, circa original McLaren.

47 minutes ago, sage said:

It can't happen in the long term. I could understand it yesterday re the team we had out.

And that's the nub really isn't it... especially next season with no restrictions,  no excuses about them not being his players etc... if we continue to play that way every week without the results he won't last long. 

Can he genuinely change? Tbh I doubt it.... so its whether we keep on winning games or not.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

This is the thing though,it should be alien,but it's not,it's the same thing most weeks,get a goal sit back and defend often resulting in late goals/dropped points making games more difficult than they should be 

What a win!! What an atmosphere- not Bolton but still good. I was buzzing post game and still am today with the win and the results going in our favour. Must say yesterday a few beers in i thought it was decisive and we’re definitely going up. On reflection there is still some potential squeaky bum time yet. Bolton could be 3 points behind by the time we play Pompey. A loss to Pompey then Bolton have the opportunity to draw level with us if they beat Bristol before we play again. That would really put the pressure on. 

But I’m convinced we’ll get over the line. Last 2 home performances are evidence we’re shithousing our way to the finish line and I don’t care at all. At this stage it’s all about getting results however you get them, and I think Warne has tactically got the better of Evatt and Critchley in the last 2 home games. For all Blackpool’s play they didn’t look like scoring and we nullified their threats. I have no issue with us playing like this at this stage of the season especially with our injuries, challenge will be if we’re midtable in the championship playing like this every week then pressure would rightfully mount on Warne if not next season then definitely the season after.

Right now though let’s just enjoy the results and being in a promotion race!! 

8 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I doubt the same tactics will work on Tuesday night if we’re open in the middle and allow the opposition so much ball. Pompey have more in attack and I fear those little passes into the box rather than crosses. Maybe we should go 3 in the middle …

Warne played these tactics to suit the game,he will no doubt be looking to counter Portsmouth in a different fashion on Tuesday.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Because they think Critchley's football is too risk-averse. Possession for the sake of it. Yet they have the best GD outside of the top 6.

They may well have got a point if Rhodes was fit.

3 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

We might have scored more if Gayle was fit ? 😁

I was talking about the Blackpool perspective and no risk football, not whether they deserved to win. 

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

If Gayle had been fit we may have won 3 nil...

But he wasn't and neither was Rhodes.

We won 1-0 on the day with the players we had,Blackpool lost by the same metrics.

See above