Match Thread: vs Blackpool (h)

Pride Park: Friday March 29th - 15.00 Kick Off

Friday night we get a chance to eradicate the bad dream that was Northampton away, but I think we've ridden our luck a little longer than just the last game and we simply must deliver a performance, or we risk succumbing to the lottery that is the play-offs. It's a sobering prospect by any measure. As it stands, we remain masters of our own fate, but potentially only by a single point and GD. Suffice to say, we can ill afford any further slip ups, or the chasers will be on us. 

On paper, this is a tougher game than the last one, with Blackpool having notched wins against Bolton, Peterborough and Shrewsbury as well as a draw against league leaders Pompey in their last 10 league games. Chief goal threat would be Jordan Rhodes who has notched 15 this season, with Jake Beesley and Karamoko Dembélé chipping in with 8 amd 7 respectively. Dembélé also has a very respectable 11 assists, with CJ Hamilton next best with 7 for the season to date. Keeping those two quiet might be key.

Squad News: Injury report might perhaps be a better heading! With Nate now joining an ever-growing list of crocked players, it's safe to say that having had a pretty healthy squad a mere few weeks back, we're bang in trouble again on that front and we'll need to marshal resources in a clever and effective manner if we are to get anything from this game. We are told that the one good piece of news on this front currently is that Collo may play a part, but whilst the man's a Spartan, he'll surely not be sharp enough to start. 

A last thought, until we have more news on who is actually fit enough to play, would be that while I want us to beat Blackpool, I do recall their kindness and solidarity during our troubled recent past. They're a proper club with a proper set of fans and I hope we make them as welcome at our place as they always seem to make us at theirs. 

May the best team win, but may that team be Derby, please! 

COYR

BEMOREB4

8 minutes ago, Paultheram said:

Wildsmith

wilson  Nelson     Cashin  elder

Smith Adam’s 

ward            Sibley         CBT 

Colins

That'd be my team also, except I think it may be too soon for Collins to start. If so, I'd rather see Washington there than Waghorn as the former does look to run beyond defenders. I think it's also unlikely that Warne will drop Hourihane with so many unavailable, so expect either Smith or Sibley to make way.

I’m struggling to see how we are going to score goals between now and the end of the season.

Collins will take a while to get back to form. NML was his main supply line and a goal scorer himself.

Waghorn is just a wrecking ball and will get sent off soon. Washington isn’t really a goal scorer.

It’s looking a bit grim but this season has thrown up many surprises.

4-3-3 at least gives us a better balance. I think Warne recognises our midfield is weak, hence the 5-3-2.

Let’s hope Smith and Thompson can find some form to give us the momentum we need.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Ward   Nelson   Cashin   Elder

Smith   Adams

Wilson   Sibley   Blackett-Taylor

Waghorn

Subs: Evans, DRobinson, Thompson, Hourihane, Weston, Washington, Collins

Thought Waghorn really struggled to get into the game. Gave away free kicks, didn't hold up the ball well, doesn't go beyond the back line, missed a great chance.

Washington was as bad and Collins will be as rusty as anything,  so I'm not saying any are ideal... bit of a worry tbf.

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Thought Waghorn really struggled to get into the game. Gave away free kicks, didn't hold up the ball well, doesn't go beyond the back line, missed a great chance.

Washington was as bad and Collins will be as rusty as anything,  so I'm not saying any are ideal... bit of a worry tbf.

Missed two great chances.

7 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Friday night we get a chance to eradicate the bad dream that was Northampton away, but I think we've ridden our luck a little longer than just the last game and we simply must deliver a performance, or we risk succumbing to the lottery that is the play-offs. It's a sobering prospect by any measure. As it stands, we remain masters of our own fate, but potentially only by a single point and GD. Suffice to say, we can ill afford any further slip ups, or the chasers will be on us. 

On paper, this is a tougher game than the last one, with Blackpool having notched wins against Bolton, Peterborough and Shrewsbury as well as a draw against league leaders Pompey in their last 10 league games. Chief goal threat would be Jordan Rhodes who has notched 15 this season, with Jake Beesley and Karamoko Dembélé chipping in with 8 amd 7 respectively. Dembélé also has a very respectable 11 assists, with CJ Hamilton next best with 7 for the season to date. Keeping those two quiet might be key.

Squad News: Injury report might perhaps be a better heading! With Nate now joining an ever-growing list of crocked players, it's safe to say that having had a pretty healthy squad a mere few weeks back, we're bang in trouble again on that front and we'll need to marshal resources in a clever and effective manner if we are to get anything from this game. We are told that the one good piece of news on this front currently is that Collo may play a part, but whilst the man's a Spartan, he'll surely not be sharp enough to start. 

A last thought, until we have more news on who is actually fit enough to play, would be that while I want us to beat Blackpool, I do recall their kindness and solidarity during our troubled recent past. They're a proper club with a proper set of fans and I hope we make them as welcome at our place as they always seem to make us at theirs. 

COYR

BEMOREB4

Playing Friday night should be a breeze as the Blackpool players will be at the Pleasure Beach celebrating a walk over if we don’t turn up for the 3pm kick off. 😀

I love waggy as a person and was great to see his little purple patch at the start of this season but.. have we ever had a striker that balloons so many chances over the bar? It's at least one a game, it drops to him and you know it's not going wide, or forcing a save you're ducking in row z.

7 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

COYR

BEMOREB4

Well said regarding Blackpool fans !!!!

Vital we put yesterday behind us, the result is one negative but I worry the impact of yesterday will stretch beyond the result.

We have to go back to a 4, and I’d bring Elder in at left back. Midfield is anyone’s guess, it’ll be 2 + Adams. Sibley could get the chance in a 10 position behind what’s almost certain to be Waghorn up top.

CBT on one wing, Ward/Wilson on the other. Hopefully Collins can make the bench and Washington will have another week of fitness under his belt, which should give us a little more off the bench.

It’s vital we start on the front foot and most importantly, take our chances. If that Waghorn chance about 10 minutes in went in, I think we go on to beat Northampton quite comfortably. If we concede first vs Blackpool, I’d not be confident we could turn it around to get 3 points.

If it was me, I’d try and get Dej back from his loan and start him in this game. He comes in with a bit of form, energy and excitement then it may rub off on others - god knows the other strikers available to us aren’t going to do that.

Wildsmith

Nelson
Cashin
Elder

Ward
Smith
Adams
Thompson
Sibley

Brown
CBT 

Wildsmith 

Ward   Nelson   Cashin   Elder

Adams   Smith

Wilson   Hourihane   CBT

Waghorn

Loach, Sibley, Washington, Collins, Thompson, Radcliffe, Robinson 

Are Fornah or Bird anywhere near?

3 hours ago, Paultheram said:

Wildsmith

wilson  Nelson     Cashin  elder

Smith Adam’s 

ward            Sibley         CBT 

Colins

Was thinking something similar or even an old fashioned 4-4-2;

Wildsmith

Wilson  Nelson   Cashin   Elder

Ward    Adams    Smith   Sibley

Washington  Collins

Subs; Loach, Radcliffe, Robinson, Hourihane, Thompson, CBT, Waghorn

Perhaps not that exact lineup as CBT could play off the left, Sibley could partner Adams in midfield, Smith may be more solid than Wilson at rb etc. I’m just looking at what the options are and I’m wondering if a solid 4-4-2 with balanced wingers who can cross to a couple of forwards might give us a goal threat in the absence of NML, Gayle, Barkhuizen et al. Stay solid, get it wide and whip crosses in for the front 2 to attack. It’s probably not what Warne will do of course 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Looking at our threadbare squad are there really no exciting youngsters that could make a difference? 

Maybe if Nigel Clough/Cocu was still in charge they'd put Cruz Allen in the 18 but I think at this stage in the season with so much on the line it would take a ballsy manager to do that.

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Looking at our threadbare squad are there really no exciting youngsters that could make a difference? 

A question at the fans forum was raised, asking Buxton and Hale if they think the U18/21 players ahold have been given more of an opportunity this season. The response being "they haven't done enough to convince Warne". They also stated Thomspon not being a top performer in the U21s, but stepping up seamlessly under Rooney.

None have played more than Robinson, who has only got 90 minutes vs a Wolves U21 side and hasn't played in any other game. The only player to feature in the League (Brown) has only got 13 minutes, I would be extremely surprised to see someone getting a chance this season.

Take that Wolves U21 game away, then you really see how willing Warne is to using them: Brown (30 mins), Radcliffe (11 mins) Weston (6 mins) and Fapetu (2 mins). It's pathetic.

They could have had a meaningful amount of minutes earlier in the season, even against the likes of Crewe or Bradford in Cup competitions, or when 2 goals up against Carlisle, Leyton Orient, and Bristol Rovers. If they were, we'd now have a better idea of whether they could step in for a couple of games. Even if they weren't ready, using them in more games would have helped keep our older players fresher, and potentially injury free.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Ward   Nelson   Cashin   Elder

Smith   Adams

Wilson   Sibley   Blackett-Taylor

Waghorn

Subs: Evans, DRobinson, Thompson, Hourihane, Weston, Washington, Collins

Agreed, this is where I’d place my money given our injury crisis, but I get the feeling Warne will find a way to keep the current formation, I wouldn’t be surprised to see something like:

Wildsmith

Nelson   Cashin    Elder

Ward      Adams     Hourihane    Sibley

Wash.   Waghorn  CBT