Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

13 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Two students sit a set on exams on a subject, rule is the one with the most A+'s (goals) passes with all other efforts (chances) chucked away - equal both fail.

Student A gets A+ B C D (and passes), student B gets A A B C (and fails). Was A clearly the better student, or lucky to have passed?

What a weird analogy. The two students aren’t competing directly with each other in an opposed circumstance are they? What point are you looking to make with this?

Is this another of your posts on the back of a win where you’re keen to say the team you allegedly support didn’t deserve to win? 

Just some random thoughts on the game:

Fight and determination is there in spades. It’s brilliant to see. 

Fozzy fills me with far more confidence than Bradley, I can’t lie. Isn’t as interested in letting the ball bounce and wrestling. 

Hourihane was horrific. Thankfully dragged off. We can’t keep carrying him every game while his legs have so obviously gone. Is Bird back yet?

Interesting to hear Barkhuizen and Ward came off due to precaution. Did wonder why those two, as Barkhuizen’s runs were one of the brighter points first half. 

What we do next re striker is going to be massive. Waghorn hasn’t got it anymore, but he needs to find something for a week or two until someone else is back fit to help. Gutted for Gayle. 

Wildsmith phenomenal. Think he needed that performance. 

Fozzie, Cashin,  Wildsmith, Nelson and Adams all brilliant.  Again that defensive 5 were vital.

NML worked his socks off but his touch wasn't there today.

Wilson was the game changer. I prefer Thompson to Hourihane. 

Sibley and Ward struggled at times to get on the ball. 

Waghorn was pretty ineffective. 

Thought Smith had a decent game.

Another game where the defence kept us in it and we nicked a goal. Its not luck, its the way he manages things and it's taking us back up at the moment.

Not a great performance but a bloody great day. 

52 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It doesn’t matter. We weren’t “lucky” today. Overall, Bolton played the better football and had the better chances but the reason they lost is because they weren’t good enough on the day and because Wildsmith had a very good game. Wildsmith did what he’s paid to do and did it very well and Bolton didn’t do enough to get a goal (or two). That’s not luck.

And we scored more than them.

32 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Two students sit a set on exams on a subject, rule is the one with the most A+'s (goals) passes with all other efforts (chances) chucked away - equal both fail.

Student A gets A+ B C D (and passes), student B gets A A B C (and fails). Was A clearly the better student, or lucky to have passed?

The trains pass at 11:42 and they were lucky if they left on time. Easy.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

We will get promoted from here. This past week the stars just aligned with the officiating against Reading and second best win over Bolton.

We’ll probably lose at Pompey, draw at Wycombe but we’ll win the rest and that will be enough.

Just to add if it wasn’t for some shocking refereeing decisions against Bolton at their ground we would most likely have got a result from there.

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

What we do next re striker is going to be massive. Waghorn hasn’t got it anymore, but he needs to find something for a week or two until someone else is back fit to help. Gutted for Gayle. 

I don’t think this is a great idea, but something I’ve just thought of.

So Bradley has been playing well in defence and Forsyth was motm today, so could we fit both of them in.

Back 3 of Cashin, Nelson, Bradley. Try Forsyth out up front. He’s shown he can finish with his feet and he’s good in the air. Could he be a handy makeshift target man with his attributes. Imagine ward and sibley whipping balls in to him. We’ll also have that extra defender for set pieces. He was originally signed as a winger wasn’t he so playing further forward won’t be completely alien to him.

24 minutes ago, ap04 said:

What a bizarre analogy that cannot be compared to football in the slightest. Since when has an A+ been a fail whilst a B is a fail? Why would you rate an A the same as a D? other than in your random "rule".

But, in order to humour you, student A performed better on the day for one exam whilst student B performed better in the other four. It's obviously impossible to know if either student was lucky or unlucky without know exactly what happened on the day of each exam. Maybe one student, by chance, had spent more time studying the topics that came up in the exam, maybe one student was unfairly distracted by something.

A bit of a silly question. I don't know what point you are trying to make or if my answer fits with your expectation. All I know is that Bolton didn't fail to score due to something totally out of the control of either them or Derby, and therefore, wasn't anything to do with luck. They played better and had the better chances but they failed to score because their efforts weren't quite good enough and/or our keeper played very well.

7 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

So Bradley has been playing well in defence and Forsyth was motm today, so could we fit both of them in.

Back 3 of Cashin, Nelson, Bradley. Try Forsyth out up front. He’s shown he can finish with his feet and he’s good in the air. Could he be a handy makeshift target man with his attributes. Imagine ward and sibley whipping balls in to him. We’ll also have that extra defender for set pieces. He was originally signed as a winger wasn’t he so playing further forward won’t be completely alien to him.

Knew you were having a laugh when you said Bradley has been playing well. 

10 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

You were right

Personally think todays result is what a promotion winning Warne side is all about…

tight game losing Gayle was big blow but also a blessing in disguise for the game as smith being added to midfield stopped them running the game.

personally probably thought Bolton had the better chances better play etc but this is a Warne side…

hang on win on a set piece beautiful 3 points

4 wins out of 7 does us?

Such an important win but we have to keep going. If 90-92 points is the target, then we still need 4-5 wins. The work is far from over.

That said I am feeling very confident that we can get over the line. The character and spirit amongst Warne and the players is shining through. Three wins in a week at the business end of the season is such a strong sign.

The injuries are hitting us hard, mind you. Gayle in particular will be a big miss, but we have to hope other players will seize their chance. This could be the time for Waghorn and Blackett Taylor to step up and make their mark like Wilson did today, for instance.

Here’s hoping we can keep things going and win v Northampton and Blackpool. Going into April with 80+ points on the board would put us firmly in the driving seat for second and might even have Pompey looking over their shoulder.