Paul Warne

Day

2 minutes ago, Jram said:

Don’t be silly. We’ve played well in lots of games. Lots of teams have had periods of poor form. Everyone raved about Portsmouth- they were naff over Xmas. Everyone raved about Peterborough- they’ve dropped off the face of the earth.

Both Derby and Bolton are currently in a mini slump. Not the end of the world. All will look rosy again on Saturday when we batter Port Vale 

HeadSand.gif.cf5fc0a08b4983650c8666d2c49d7844.gif

Asked ChatGPT to give me a post match interview in his annoying cheery style

[quote]Well, let me tell ya, folks, it's been a right rollercoaster, hasn't it? But you know what they say, every cloud has a silver lining, and today's performance was like finding that silver lining in a sea of storm clouds! Sure, we've had a tough run lately, but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day, was it? We're just laying the foundations for something truly magnificent! We'll dust ourselves off, learn from our mistakes, and come back stronger next time. Chin up, lads! The best is yet to come[/quote]

1 minute ago, Jram said:

Don’t be silly. We’ve played well in lots of games. Lots of teams have had periods of poor form. Everyone raved about Portsmouth- they were naff over Xmas. Everyone raved about Peterborough- they’ve dropped off the face of the earth.

Both Derby and Bolton are currently in a mini slump. Not the end of the world. All will look rosy again on Saturday when we batter Port Vale 

Is he coming back.  Surprised at Hull letting him go at the minute. We might be able to string three passes together at least. 

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I know of 1 first team player who was, allegedly, far from complementary about Warne when out drinking with someone I know recently.

Assuming that's true, it shows that some of the players must think similar things too.

So they were allegedly and you're assuming so it must be true then 

8 minutes ago, Jram said:

Played well in patches of games. But when was the last time we put in more than 45 minutes of a decent performance. 

I like Warne as a person, can see why he was hired and why Clowes likes working with him. 

All that said and done, I don’t think he’s right for the club. He simply has to get promoted this season, because the relationship with the fans won’t last another year in league one and commercially the fans are the lifeblood of the club at this level. 

Ironically, my fear is promotion with him in the role is equally as bleak as I don’t have the faith that we have the competency within the club to rise above our financial station. Clowes hasn’t got financial muscle to have us do anything other than treading water in the Championship. The foundations of this club, post-administration, has been unfortunately built on sand. Restrictions has made it difficult, obviously I take that into account, but there is no real philosophy other than to ride the coattails of journeymen Championship footballers, mostly on the downswing of their career, to overpower the dross standard that we found ourselves in. 

Okay, I'll be that guy...

Were we terrible tonight?! I don't think so. To my eye we looked the better team and should have won. Not inspiring by any stretch but still the better side with more than enough opportunities to take 3 points.

On Saturday at Barnsley we were equal to them.

I accept we play a fairly pragmatic brand of football under Warne, it's not my idea of entertaining football but not every dropped point has to be used as a stick to beat him with. It's league 1 in the winter, it's going to be ugly at times. 

Some people's expectations feel unrealistic given all the circumstances. We are not going to win every game playing total football. People calling for him to be sacked whilst we're second in the league or because their crystal ball says we'll be crap in the championship is frankly bizarre!

I agree that he has to stop tinkering with 3 at the back and stick with some version of 4-3-3 but I don't see that as the primary reason we lost tonight.

We are still second, it is still all to play for. 

Tin hat on.

29 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Warne's style of football is simply unsuitable for a club our size. It gives him absolutely no room for error because there is no goodwill in the bank to give the fans something to cling on to when results are poor.

The football is utterly dreadful and has been all seasons. We are where we are because we are financially more powerful than most of the league even with our restrictions and have players that can paper over the cracks in our amateurish setup.

We have first class academy and the first team should be a blue print for how the academy teams play, god help us if this is how the club expects future teams to play like 

13 minutes ago, Jram said:

Just to say...this is what Paul Warne said on Radio Derby “We haven’t played well all season “ I never heard it but other posters did 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I like Warne as a person, can see why he was hired and why Clowes likes working with him. 

It's clear he's a good bloke in general. I imagine he would probably make a better no.2 or first team coach. Great to have in the building. But clearly not cut out to be the main man to strategise a football club at a high level.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

All that said and done, I don’t think he’s right for the club. He simply has to get promoted this season, because the relationship with the fans won’t last another year in league one and commercially the fans are the lifeblood of the club at this level. 

Ironically, my fear is promotion with him in the role is equally as bleak as I don’t have the faith that we have the competency within the club to rise above our financial station. Clowes hasn’t got financial muscle to have us do anything other than treading water in the Championship. The foundations of this club, post-administration, has been unfortunately built on sand. Restrictions has made it difficult, obviously I take that into account, but there is no real philosophy other than to ride the coattails of journeymen Championship footballers, mostly on the downswing of their career, to overpower the dross standard that we found ourselves in. 

Sad but true. I think we need to develop a medium to long term plan. Build up properly from the ground up with younger players and a progressive modern manager.

A Short term punt on promotion with the so called 3rd tier expert is going to hurt us.

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

He's just refusing to let the 5 at the back go. It doesn't work and it doesn't suit our club. I honestly think he's persisting with it because its the only system he fully understands. Even when we play with a back 4 it feels like there's large tactical elements just missing from our play like Warne just doesn't know how to play it fully. 

There are four ways five-at-the-back works.

You use it if your midfield is poor but you have ball-playing centre-halves - so your defenders are keeping the ball.

You use it if you have underlapping wide centre-halves. 

You use it in a one off match in which you know you’re soaking up loads of pressure.

Or you use it if you have an insane sweeper. 

We’re none of these.

1 minute ago, RodleyRam said:

Were we terrible tonight?! I don't think so. To my eye we looked the better team and should have won. Not inspiring by any stretch but still the better side with more than enough opportunities to take 3 points.

I accept we play a fairly pragmatic brand of football under Warne, it's not my idea of entertaining football but not every dropped point has to be used as a stick to beat him with. It's league 1 in the winter, it's going to be ugly at times. 

Some people's expectations feel unrealistic given all the circumstances. We are not going to win every game playing total football. People calling for him to be sacked whilst we're second in the league or because their crystal ball says we'll be crap in the championship is frankly bizarre!

I agree that he has to stop tinkering with 3 at the back and stick with some version of 4-3-3 but I don't see that as the primary reason we lost tonight.

Tin hat on.

Well said, mate. Completely agree.

1 minute ago, Ram-Alf said:

Just to say...this is what Paul Warne said on Radio Derby “We haven’t played well all season “ I never heard it but other posters did 

I think he’s mentioned that we have more to give but I think it’s a bit disingenuous to suggest Paul Warne thinks we have played badly all season. I think your struggle to find a manager who would willingly say “that is the best we can be” they’re always gonna waffle on about having more gears 

It’s pretty crazy to think that we are second in the league table, heading for around 90 points which would be our best points tally in my lifetime at least, yet it’s just not enjoyable - I’d go as far as saying most weeks it’s a miserable watch.

Imagine if we were in Reading’s position?

I don’t see where we go under Warne. If he can’t make 2nd in the league and 90+ points enjoyable, how will he possibly win the fans over in the Championship? 

I reiterate, I think Warne gets us up. But if we stick with him, next season is going to be such a nightmare to watch as we won’t have the results to cover up the painful football. 

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

He's just refusing to let the 5 at the back go. It doesn't work and it doesn't suit our club. I honestly think he's persisting with it because its the only system he fully understands. Even when we play with a back 4 it feels like there's large tactical elements just missing from our play like Warne just doesn't know how to play it fully. 

It really does not matter about the formation or which personnel in what position. This is how Warne wants to play - pragmatic, hard-working but with little movement or creativity. It's like watching the straight lines English football of the 1980s. 

I genuinley cannot stand any team who will take any opportunity to lump the ball in the box from a free-kick from absolutely anywhere on the pitch. This makes sense for a team with little resources, but we are the wealthiest team in the division! Warne seems to consider these as our best chance to score rather than back our players to pass the ball around and create space.

The sooner this season is over, the better. Either we bore our way to a joyless promotion or he gets sacked for not achieving it. 

I wish I had that option like on Football Manager where you can go on holiday and come back at the end and hope everything has worked out alright. 

No open play attacking threat from any of the back 4 and a wing back in the front 3. Crazy.

Ridiculous Individual errors tonight almost make me feel sympathy for him but not sure I can muster it because you ask for them when you set up like that. Just absolutely nothing from open play which has been par for the course for a few weeks at home. 

All moot as he’s going nowhere but in a hypothetical world where his contract was up at the end of the season I’d be amazed if anyone would actively believe it should be renewed. Likewise if he walked tomorrow I doubt anyone would be too bothered. 

I didn’t agree with it but can see why he was hired. A 4 year contract though, just crazy. 

8 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Tin hat on.

Yes, we were terrible tonight. 

We were absolutely dire for 60 minutes. 

Nobody is asking for total football, but we're getting the worst brand of football I've seen at Derby. It's crap. There is no entertainment. We aren't bringing through youth, we are building towards a style and getting better, we're all over the place. 

Being second is not a compliment to Warne, and more a criticism to every other side. We're not a good team.