Max Bird - flew the coop to Bristol City, loaned to us to end of season

Arsene Titman

1 hour ago, Mckram said:

Really odd one for Bird. Knight must have sold Bristol City to him. Otherwise I can’t see why he wouldn’t wait until the summer and see which option is the best.

He clearly doesn’t feel any strong feeling for Derby anymore, otherwise you’d think he would have waited to see what league we’re in then signed a new deal if we got promoted.

Doesn't feel any strong feeling for playing in PW's midfield, maybe.

Best midfielder at the club. Leaving as won't sign a new contract. Good fee. Keep the player for the rest of the season.

He came through the ranks, stood by us when we were on our arse, does his best, good egg arond the place, getting a bigger wage in a higher division, club doesn't lose out.

Max Bird comes out well, Derby County come out well. 

Moaners, please shush. I'm embarrassed by you.

1 minute ago, MaltRam said:

Best midfielder at the club. Leaving as won't sign a new contract. Good fee. Keep the player for the rest of the season.

He came through the ranks, stood by us when we were on our arse, does his best, good egg arond the place, getting a bigger wage in a higher division, club doesn't lose out.

Spot on buddy

5 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

Absolutely this, win win all around it seems!! Not sure why anyone is upset?! 

The attitude of some folks on here is beyond me, and how Warne is at fault is also beyond me, he's pretty much played Bird every single game he could.

How everyone can twist everything to be the managers fault is beyond me

4 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

100% This.Spot on 🐏

Really sad he's going but unsurprised. Stuck with us when others forced moves. Dont get the vitriol at all - Knight didnt get it did he? Will be so upset for him if he gets hostility at Pride Park - hoping twitter is full of fools who arent old enough to go to matches unaccompanied. Just hope we dont waste the money 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Returns on loan, but didn’t want to sign a new deal. I hope the lad plays a blinder for the rest of the season otherwise he’ll be getting dogs abuse from fans. 

We should’ve just taken whatever more we could’ve got and let him go. 

Reached this post and yeah, that’s the thought here. No need to read on.

Lads out of contract, wants out and we get a fee, great.

That loan though, could turn nasty as he’s been getting some pelters already.

Bird and Knight was the midfield 2 I wanted to see, if I’m honest though, Knight felt a bigger loss. That’s not to say it’s always a bit sad to see an academy player leave.

We’ll move on though.

1 minute ago, CBRammette said:

Really sad he's going but unsurprised. Stuck with us when others forced moves. Dont get the vitriol at all - Knight didnt get it did he? Will be so upset for him if he gets hostility at Pride Park - hoping twitter is full of fools who arent old enough to go to matches unaccompanied. Just hope we dont waste the money 

Knight had a better track record than Bird as a player to push for a move, left nothing in the tank every match and stayed till it was clear what division we were in before making a decision to leave.  I can see a fair few differences in the scenario myself.  I'm not bothered about him going, but I can see a difference.

20 minutes ago, SparxTheRam said:

Absolutely this, win win all around it seems!! Not sure why anyone is upset?! 

The attitude of some folks on here is beyond me, and how Warne is at fault is also beyond me, he's pretty much played Bird every single game he could.

How everyone can twist everything to be the managers fault is beyond me

Because Warne's brand of football doesn't suit Bird, ( or indeed Hourihane)...or any other talented midfield player....or for that matter, most of the fans!

6 minutes ago, valakari said:

Because Warne's brand of football doesn't suit Bird, ( or indeed Hourihane)...or any other talented midfield player....or for that matter, most of the fans!

Well, perhaps that's because the fans seem to think that we are in the championship, near the top and should be playing McLaren era football..... 

We arent, we are in League One and we are fighting to get out, and Warne, like it or not has us very near the top of the table with a very good record over the last quarter of the season. 

I'd love for us to play like we did with Russell and Thorne and Ward and Martin, all of those players but sadly that's not gonna get us out of that league and sadly we can't afford those players nor will they want to play in league one even if we are Derby County.

Quality players will impact games within a coaches instruction.... I don't know where everyone seems to get this kick and rush idea from but that isn't how we play, look at the stats, Bird and Hourihane have more than enough opportunity to influence the game from where they are.

They still take corners (occasionally badly) and they still have shots at goals (occasionally badly) and they still pass the ball (occasionally badly) all of which are midfielders bread and butter no matter the formation or the league or the instruction. 

The payers we have are not held back by Warne, they are just not quite as good as they were, playing in a side that isn't as good as it was, in a league that's full of pressing and tackling and chasing.

Bird is a quality player, is young and I think will be much better in a championship side, it's a shame it won't be with us but I can't blame him, he's stuck with us through pretty much everything and deserves his shot, there's no guarantees in football so go while you can. 

9.45 pm / 10.20pm 

Announced the signing of midfielder Max Bird for an undisclosed fee. Bird will return to Pride Park for the remainder of the League one season.

10.30pm - Derby County have announced the signing of Nakhi Wells on a season long loan 

10.40- room for 1 more 👀 

10.45 - Derby County announce the loan signing of Lee Gregory