Max Bird - flew the coop to Bristol City, loaned to us to end of season

Arsene Titman

5 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Really odd one for Bird. Knight must have sold Bristol City to him. Otherwise I can’t see why he wouldn’t wait until the summer and see which option is the best.

He clearly doesn’t feel any strong feeling for Derby anymore, otherwise you’d think he would have waited to see what league we’re in then signed a new deal if we got promoted.

A nice enough city and perennial mid-table excitement

3 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Just read £2.5m, that seems far too good to be true.

I think someone mentioned a tribunal fee in the summer and that was around £2mil based on how many games he’s played. I’m surprised we’ve got that much for him if true to be honest.

I just hope we haven’t left it too late to use some of that much needed cash, and also aren’t going to be chucking a portion of that to Wednesday just to borrow one of their players for 3 months.

I’m sad about this one.

One of our young lads moving on. 

I think we are really not using him properly.

Also, if he’s been told to get it and pass it out wide after one touch so not using any of his real abilities.
Also play and run around next to Hourihane getting overran every game. 

Just think he’s undervalued and under appreciated by the manager who wants to play a different way. And many fans who only see goal or assist stats. 

Yes we offered him a new contract, but have shown him he won’t be playing the way he wants to play for at least the next 2 years so I’m not surprised he wants to go elsewhere. 

A sad day. 

Edited by England Ram

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think someone mentioned a tribunal fee in the summer and that was around £2mil based on how many games he’s played. I’m surprised we’ve got that much for him if true to be honest.

I just hope we haven’t left it too late to use some of that much needed cash, and also aren’t going to be chucking a portion of that to Wednesday just to borrow one of their players for 3 months.

Yeah if is around £2m I’d be happy! Probably best time for all parties too.

lets get langstaff or Clarke Harris in!

If he made it clear he was going in the summer regardless of what happens, selling now and getting back on loan is the best outcome. 

Now, what remains to be seen, is what, if anything, we do with that money at this late point? If it’s giving it to Sheffield Wednesday for one of their grandads I swear to god…

Just now, Kernow said:

I think Warne will chuck it at Michael Smith. He's been desperate to sign him for ages. Even if Bird was sold weeks ago, I don't think Warne had any intention to invest the money into a permanent striker. He wanted Smith last January, wanted him in the summer and finally he might get him today. If Smith signs, that tells me a lot about his transfer policy.

Not sad he has been sold, pleasantly suprised we have kept him on loan, I would be very suprised if we got more than a million, 1.5 million tops for him.

I would be disappointed if we didn't use the money to strengthen now though.

This is a perfect opportunity to get the firepower we need for a top 2 push, please don't waste it on an 18 year old from Spurs.

3 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

This is a sad one. Our best midfielder in my opinion, never understood the criticism he gets at times. 

If the fee is good then so be it, and we have him until the end of the season. I’ll wish him all the best after that. 

Like with other players in the squad Warne doesn't get the best out of them. TBH he makes Birdy look ordinary a lot of the time and can't see why he'd want to loan him back. I assume it meant we got a bigger fee but paid a loan fee - juggling our 'money pots'?

Edited by RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Not sad he has been sold, pleasantly suprised we have kept him on loan, I would be very suprised if we got more than a million, 1.5 million tops for him.

I would be disappointed if we didn't use the money to strengthen now though.

This is a perfect opportunity to get the firepower we need for a top 2 push, please don't waste it on an 18 year old from Spurs.

Be more than that. A tribunal would be more than that, so no reason to sell for less. 

Those making observations about Warne’s style of football and Bird could well be right, maybe he’ll tell us all in a book one day.

A thought that’s occurred to me is maybe he’s just decided it’s time to move on in the summer. He’s been at the club for years, and a lot of those years have been turbulent times, he stood by the club when others walked away or forced their way out, maybe he’s just ready for something else but wants to help towards promotion before he goes.  

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

2 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Birdy is a professional and will be committed in helping us go up this season 

A strong 50/50 on the half way line which  leads to potential injury with just a few months left until he's moving you think he's going in 100% to that tackle? Daft move loaning him back imo.