Max Bird - flew the coop to Bristol City, loaned to us to end of season

Arsene Titman

He hasn’t forced a move? He’s told them he won’t sign a new deal and Clowes has accepted a deal he believes to be good value which is probably just under tribunal fee (a discount for it not being a drawn out affair?). 

Some derby fans are such babies. 

‘turned his back on us’ ‘forced a move’ ‘don’t come back’ 

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

In fairness to Warne, when has Bird been anything other than ordinary? He’s probably had his best spells under a short-lived Cocu reign next to Rooney (before he packed it on) for three months and then a couple of 10 game spells under Warne - both this and last season. 

I agree. Nobody would card about selling Bird if he weren't an academy graduate. If we'd signed him from Rotherham 3 years ago, we'd be happy to offload him for a fee.

Subscribe to oodledoodle for more harsh truths. I have plenty.

Edited by oodledoodle

10 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Birdy is a professional and will be committed in helping us go up this season 

I get that, but just makes no sense on all parties. He’s been getting hammered by fans for about two months now on-and-off, this is just going to exacerbate things. It’s as obvious as the sun rising in the morning. 

Bristol City fans are already tired of Liam Manning so by the time he gets there he may not even be manager. He could do with him in the team now. 

If we were a properly run club with a half-competent recruitment strategy we would’ve already highlighted his replacements and know where to turn once the money hits the account. We can then move on. 

Bird sticking around for the remainder of the season, I don’t know, I’m just not a fan of it. We’ve bemoaned the lack of balance midfield for the entire season, we get the opportunity to do something about it and we bring back one of the sources of the problem? Daft.

17 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I don’t want him back if he’s off sorry. 

You make that appear harsh... Childish even.

... and yet here I sit nodding in total agreement with you.

Yeah, players come and go.  I get that.  A straight forward transfer would have no complaints from me.  It's the loan back that niggles!
To be wearing The Ram after effectively saying "I don't want to wear The Ram anymore", makes me feel a tad nauseous, if I'm honest. 

I get he's a pro.  I get he'll "Still try his best whilst he's still here"... A bit like a lotto winner who has to serve a month's notice before heading off into the sunset... no way are they gonna be at the top of their game, for the duration!

I'll try not to boo him, but remember, he actually ain't one of ours any more, so meh!  

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I get that, but just makes no sense on all parties. He’s been getting hammered by fans for about two months now on-and-off, this is just going to exacerbate things. It’s as obvious as the sun rising in the morning. 

Bristol City fans are already tired of Liam Manning so by the time he gets there he may not even be manager. He could do with him in the team now. 

If we were a properly run club with a half-competent recruitment strategy we would’ve already highlighted his replacements and know where to turn once the money hits the account. We can then move on. 

Bird sticking around for the remainder of the season, I don’t know, I’m just not a fan of it. We’ve bemoaned the lack of balance midfield for the entire season, we get the opportunity to do something about it and we bring back one of the sources of the problem? Daft.

I agree with most of what you say. Just saying people shouldn't doubt Bird's professionalism 

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yeah, players come and go.  I get that.  A straight forward transfer would have no complaints from me.  It's the loan back that niggles!
To be wearing The Ram after effectively saying "I don't want to wear The Ram anymore", makes me feel a tad nauseous, if I'm honest. 

I get he's a pro.  I get he'll "Still try his best whilst he's still here"... A bit like a lotto winner who has to serve a month's notice before heading off into the sunset... no way are they gonna be at the top of their game, for the duration!

I'll try not to boo him, but remember, he actually ain't one of ours any more, so meh!  

I also fully expect us to comfortably be above Brizzle in a few years. I can understand the kids leaving to teams like City and Liverpool. But Bristol? Shows a lack of ambition to me.

We could go up this season and he could spend next season looking up the table at us. I don't get it.

I imagine Birdy has seen that BC signed Alex Scott and then sold him on " 10 August 2023, Scott completed a permanent transfer to AFC Bournemouth, one of his old clubs at youth level, on a long-term deal. Bristol City received a club-record fee for Scott, believed to be around £25 million."

Maybe he fancies a go at that rather than our record transfer fee of three Mars Bars and a Froot Shoot?

Edited by RoyMac5

24 minutes ago, YouRams said:

A strong 50/50 on the half way line which  leads to potential injury with just a few months left until he's moving you think he's going in 100% to that tackle? Daft move loaning him back imo. 

Why wouldn't he? He has got the move done already

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Would he give 100% for us  on loan, unlikely 

he’d have secured his transfer and not need to put himself out anymore it get injured

Goodbye  and good riddance

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I imagine Birdy has seen that BC signed Alex Scott and then sold him on " 10 August 2023, Scott completed a permanent transfer to AFC Bournemouth, one of his old clubs at youth level, on a long-term deal. Bristol City received a club-record fee for Scott, believed to be around £25 million."

Maybe he fancies a go at that rather than our record transfer fee of three Mars Bars and a Froot Shoot?

If max bird is ever sold for a fee like that, I'll pay his wages myself. Not even Hughes or Hendrick got close.

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Like with other players in the squad Warne doesn't get the best out of them. TBH he makes Birdy look ordinary a lot of the time and can't see why he'd want to loan him back. I assume it meant we got a bigger fee but paid a loan fee - juggling our 'money pots'?

I'm amazed he's taking a midfielder back on loan...

Well done on using yet another thread to attack Warne though 👏

2 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

I also fully expect us to comfortably be above Brizzle in a few years. I can understand the kids leaving to teams like City and Liverpool. But Bristol? Shows a lack of ambition to me.

We could go up this season and he could spend next season looking up the table at us. I don't get it.

Or a lack of belief in the direction the club is going?