Max Bird - flew the coop to Bristol City, loaned to us to end of season

Arsene Titman

5 minutes ago, WestLondonRam said:

Correct but in 3 years time we will once again be bigger than Bristol city. 
All I care about is the fee we got for him is it worth it? 
horrihane is the problem in our midfield not Max. 
Selling one of our own who is better than we have replaced him with is not a blueprint to success. 

Perhaps but as it stands we’re not even guaranteed to be a championship club in the next year or so 😂 

Love the lad personally and partly because of that, I think a move elsewhere is a probably not such a bad move for him. Folk have questioned whether Brizzle can match our ambitions, but they overlook the fact that if Max were all about ambition, he'd have left Derby years back. As it is, Bristol are a Championship club, located in a vibrant city, there are strong links through Jason Knight and Max will presumably be on a very decent salary too. Not a move entirely without merit then! 

Clearly a good few would disagree, but I say more power to him, he owes us the square root of FA. He's shown his loyalty though thick and thin and yet still isn't really appreciated by a significant number of us fans. The football side of that debate will rage on no doubt, but their opinions have been made loud and clear, so perhaps this too plays into his thinking. It would mine.

What is clear, is that Max is doing this on his own terms and I believe securing a positive outcome for Derby too, also ranks a priority. I think the deal structure, is actually quite telling. The fee, by all accounts, is a fair one and if reports are accurate, a fair bit more than we could sensibly expect at a tribunal. We also retain his services until the end of the season, not a benefit for some on here, I concede, but certainly one in my mind and after that, Max gets what he wants, which sadly, is a fresh start and a clean slate after the summer break in pastures new.

TBH, I'm gutted the lad has not chosen to take another tilt with Derby, but he's a been very loyal for a lad at the right end of his career and I can only thank him and wish him all the best.

OAR

5 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

https://youtube.com/shorts/mdMrE-gViok?si=jvh0ZZn06tSoytb5

Just popped up on my YouTube club feed. Feels like a very poor attempt at late PR to try and smooth fan unrest! “Look what Max can do, and haven’t we been brilliant in negotiating him to stay until summer?” 

What happens if he gets booed every time he touches the ball?  There will be even less motivation to put a shift in

Just now, Comrade 86 said:

The we can confirm that those booing are complete throbbers who would happily cut off their own noses to spite their stupid faces.

Yeh so it’s definitely going to happen then

Because if our knuckleheads do decide to boo, then the rest of us who are pleased for someone getting a promotion and pay rise, who didn't walk away like others in administration , is one of our own and is going to a club that believes in using the midfield to pass each other, unlike our current manager, should cheer him even louder , good luck Max, I hope you get the chance to shine 

Not really sure how long folks expect Max to hang around. He's a decent young player who needs to start making his mark at a higher level sooner rather than later otherwise he's going to find a good chunk of his career done and he's in the third tier.

This season was a real opportunity to get ourselves out of this sh** league while it's relatively weaker. Next season will be harder re competition, and with so many players out of contract in the summer we're looking at another near-full team rebuild, which will bring the obligatory "the new players need time to gel" factor. So from Max's perspective you can probably write off next season as well.

For those comparing Derby and Bristol, I'm sorry, but the foreseeable there is no comparison, they're a much better prospect. Yes, eventually they'll re-find their level, and so will we, but for the immediate future if you're a young player looking to push on it's like chalk and cheese. 

29 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

https://youtube.com/shorts/mdMrE-gViok?si=jvh0ZZn06tSoytb5

Just popped up on my YouTube club feed. Feels like a very poor attempt at late PR to try and smooth fan unrest! “Look what Max can do, and haven’t we been brilliant in negotiating him to stay until summer?” 

It might “feel” that way, but that short has been on the club’s YouTube since Sunday, the day after he scored the goal, so is probably coincidental that it’s popped up due to the algorithm within YouTube.

IMG_1626.png

8 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Quite underwhelming, and almost resigned statement that. Couldn't they have gone with 'He will spend the remainder of the season on loan with us as we make our push for promotion'.

Yeah the language of the post is one of resignation and some other word that escapes me….. sort of a “come on now everyone, it could have been worse….right?!”

Could/should have been framed more positively with different wording even if the reaction from the fans was likely going to be similar. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Still find this a slightly strange choice for Max. Bristol City never seem to be going anywhere. He's back on loan with us too, so misses half a season back in the Championship. It's not that unlikely that we get promoted and start next season on a similar level to them.

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Still find this a slightly strange choice for Max. Bristol City never seem to be going anywhere. He's back on loan with us too, so misses half a season back in the Championship. It's not that unlikely that we get promoted and start next season on a similar level to them.

I think they’re a pretty safe Championship club at the minute who are looking up the table. We’re miles off that.

My surprise is why he didn’t wait until the summer and then you’d think a top 6 Championship side would fancy him.

You never know, he may have been asked by Derby to accept Bristol’s offer as it was the best for Derby in the shorter term.

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

People forget it's not just a football move it's their life too. Still a young lad moving to a nice city, much better night life than Derby and his mates there. Derbys turning into a bigger **** hole year by year, people will blame Warne for not attracting players but I'm sure the city has a big part to play in it too.

7 minutes ago, Mckram said:

I think they’re a pretty safe Championship club at the minute who are looking up the table. We’re miles off that.

My surprise is why he didn’t wait until the summer and then you’d think a top 6 Championship side would fancy him.

You never know, he may have been asked by Derby to accept Bristol’s offer as it was the best for Derby in the shorter term.

but why would that be, are we that desperate for cash today?

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Aren't they minor members of the 'Debt Scrubbing' club who can run at a loss with no impact though ? Can probably offer disproportionate wages if so.

*caveat* It may well be that they are not in fact minor members of the 'debt scrubbing' club but after 3 years of total horse**** stated as fact about DCFC by other teams fans that I make no apologies and offer the comment as incontrovertible truth that needs to be absorbed as fact by the whole internet. Oh and they eat babies... and all sorts of other nasty stuff. #gospeltruth

8 minutes ago, YouRams said:

People forget it's not just a football move it's their life too. Still a young lad moving to a nice city, much better night life than Derby and his mates there. Derbys turning into a bigger **** hole year by year, people will blame Warne for not attracting players but I'm sure the city has a big part to play in it too.

Unfortunately for Derby we're in a "Switzerland" situation.

Nottingham to the north. Leicester to the south. Stoke to the west. It's like living in the nicest house in 1945 Hiroshima...