Max Bird - flew the coop to Bristol City, loaned to us to end of season

Arsene Titman

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Like with other players in the squad Warne doesn't get the best out of them. TBH he makes Birdy look ordinary a lot of the time and can't see why he'd want to loan him back. I assume it meant we got a bigger fee but paid a loan fee - juggling our 'money pots'?

In fairness to Warne, when has Bird been anything other than ordinary? He’s probably had his best spells under a short-lived Cocu reign next to Rooney (before he packed it on) for three months and then a couple of 10 game spells under Warne - both this and last season. 

19 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Don't really get the loan back part, he's got nothing to prove to them, won't want to pick up any injuries before his move either, we'd of been better to squeeze an extra couple hundred grand and let him move now.

Agreed surely his heart won’t be in it ?

18 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

So he's not even waiting to see if we get promoted; he'd rather play for Bristol even if we're in the same division.

I wonder if that's because it's not fun as a midfielder with our tactics?

Maybe he realizes that we won’t finish top two and aren’t play-off winner contenders (assuming we finish in the top 6).

Just now, Spanish said:

If he sees out his contract do we lose tribunal option

No? That’s literally when the tribunal would happen.

What Bristol have done, hypothetically, is avoided fighting with other clubs over an available player which would cost £2m in tribunal. To avoid that, they’ve spent £500k to sign him permanently now. 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Sadly I don’t see any clubs bidding to buy Warne, as much as many people don’t like him it seems he’s still gonna be here for a bit longer 

Clarification: I quite like Warne the person, he wears a bobble hat, it's Warne the manager of Derby County that I'm less keen on.

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Those making observations about Warne’s style of football and Bird could well be right, maybe he’ll tell us all in a book one day.

A thought that’s occurred to me is maybe he’s just decided it’s time to move on in the summer. He’s been at the club for years, and a lot of those years have been turbulent times, he stood by the club when others walked away or forced their way out, maybe he’s just ready for something else but wants to help towards promotion before he goes.  

Added to that, he'll be fully aware that hes one of our very few saleable assets and understands that the money from his sale could help the club he's been at for so long achieve their goal of promotion.

7 minutes ago, YouRams said:

A strong 50/50 on the half way line which  leads to potential injury with just a few months left until he's moving you think he's going in 100% to that tackle? Daft move loaning him back imo. 

I’d say he’s more likely to be committed than if we didn’t sell him now & loan him back.

A strong 50/50 on the halfway line which leads to a potential injury just a few months until he’s a free agent, potentially leaving him injured and without a club?

He’s sorted his medium-term future whilst still being involved in a promotion battle. I don’t think you get to the stage of being a professional footballer if you don’t have the mentality of being committed at a stage of the season like this.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Maybe Bristol City have a fetish over Derby County midfield academy products that struggle with adding any kind of their tangible production to their game? 

I thought they would’ve learned their lesson with Jason Knight after playing him in the number 10 for the majority of the season with a grand total of 2 goals. Maybe not.

Been their best player this season.  Bird won't follow suit.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

What Bristol have done, hypothetically, is avoided fighting with other clubs over an available player which would cost £2m in tribunal. To avoid that, they’ve spent £500k to sign him permanently now. 

Found this

tribunal is only needed when a player under 24 years of age moves clubs having reached the end of his contract. Whatever valuation the tribunal comes up with is non-negotiable. The player has already changed clubs and there is no right of appeal on either side once a figure has been reached. 

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I’d say he’s more likely to be committed than if we didn’t sell him now & loan him back.

A strong 50/50 on the halfway line which leads to a potential injury just a few months until he’s a free agent, potentially leaving him injured and without a club?

He’s sorted his medium-term future whilst still being involved in a promotion battle. I don’t think you get to the stage of being a professional footballer if you don’t have the mentality of being committed at a stage of the season like this.

I’ve seen him s*** out of loads of tackles whilst a derby player, wouldn’t expect that to change!

don’t mind him, never kicked on though. Should have been running games in this division, wasn’t at all. Little to no improvement in last few years. Good luck to him.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

£500k ?

53 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Contract was offered, He didn't want to sign it...then get him gone toot suit, Now he's back he'll have more to prove as if he doesn't the BOOOOOOOOOOS will be long and hard

tenor.gif

He didn't want to commit till the end of the season

43 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Really odd one for Bird. Knight must have sold Bristol City to him. Otherwise I can’t see why he wouldn’t wait until the summer and see which option is the best.

He clearly doesn’t feel any strong feeling for Derby anymore, otherwise you’d think he would have waited to see what league we’re in then signed a new deal if we got promoted.

That is what he wanted, he just wouldn't commit now.

More kick and rush