Curtis

NottmRAM

34 minutes ago, NottmRAM said:

"...It is how, even relatively late in a career, a club can come to mean so much to a player. It is how, for all the perceptions of the modern game and its money, a player can completely embrace what a club does for a community; what it means. Davies arrived at Derby when he was 32 but he willingly says it’s the club he most identifies with, and he speaks about them in the way a one-club man might. There’s authentic emotion...

If the last few years of Derby’s history displayed many of the game’s modern issues, from competing amid the financial stretch to ownership and the very running of clubs, Davies’ part in that showed the good of the game: “the togetherness”, as he puts it.

It was about much more than the football. And it’s why Derby fans love him for more than the performances. Davies stood up for the club and its people at a time of huge uncertainty...

It’s revealing that Davies puts this memory, a time that was full of such “frustration” and uncertainty, above the fact he has done something that puts him in football’s record books. The centre-back scored a goal in football’s oldest showpiece, having struck for Hull City in the 2014 FA Cup final.

They might have lost that game to Arsenal, but there was immense pride in it as well as tangible achievement. Every time someone even glances over the list of finals, there is Davies’ name.

That still doesn’t mean as much to him as Derby.

“It's because it was total emotion, and emotion for the club,” Davies explains. “It was a belonging. I will always look to Derby as a positive memory, regardless of football."

image.png.c9791b8848f4fa9d52bbacd899c698df.png

Edited by RoyMac5

16 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Out of all the 1000s of games I've watched over 55+ years, I don't think I've seen a better headed goal 

Novak Djokovic Lol GIF by Tennis TV

I was right behind it.  Absolute class (header and the man).  As you said, one of the best headed goals I've ever seen.

The leap, the timing, the placement the power - poetry in motion.

Cheers Curtis 

Gangway D from the Terrace 

Legend is banded around a lot with a lot of dubious players, even if they were very good in their own right, but Curtis Davies was the right man at the right time for not just this club, but this city. He is very much a legend and his selflessness, resilience and compassion will never be forgotten. Ability wise, there were times he shouldn't have been first choice, particularly earlier in his career with us, but his intangibles mattered way more than anything he did on the pitch.

Not sure I can properly articulate how much I love this man. The waiver against the Wendies, signing a blank contract that summer when Morris was playing his games, mingling happily with fans at Wembley 2019 even though he wasnt playing & must have been hurting, leadership on & off the pitch during the dark days of admin....amazing that a man with such a career as him thought so much of us to do all that.

Much derided as a 'kick it, head it' centre half by outsiders, he improved massively technically when under Rooney/Rosenior. Set his fastest bleep test I believe in training whilst with us during the admin season...he wanted to be the best version of himself at all times.

He deserves & will get a rapturous reception tomorrow. I hope he returns back home to us in some capacity very soon 🖤🐏

1 hour ago, angieram said:

If ever anyone deserved a round of applause,  it's Curtis. 33 minutes, anyone?

No. It wouldn’t be appropriate. Applaud him when he’s warming up and when his name is announced. After that, for the next 90 minutes, he’s a player for the other team. Applaud him if/when he gets substituted and at the end but not during the game.

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

No. It wouldn’t be appropriate. Applaud him when he’s warming up and when his name is announced. After that, for the next 90 minutes, he’s a player for the other team. Applaud him if/when he gets substituted and at the end but not during the game.

Agreed.

...And I very much like the thought of him being subbed off on 85 mins or so... on his own... regardless of the scoreline, and regardless of how the game's going.

As guaranteed a standing ovation as standing ovations can be guaranteed, I'd imagine!  🤍

I think he'd like that very much too, if I'm reading his comments correctly.

🐏