Derby V Burton match day thread

Boycie

It's poor football at times, Bird's neck must ache like a bitch watching all those long balls bypass him overhead every game. It's effective  but only when we are high on energy, soon as we drop off you can see it going wrong. The period before the equaliser we couldn't put 2 passes together for 5 mins it was genuinely awful. John-Jules was poor all game, link up play just never came off constantly rolling around for fouls that never were.

Warneball feels like it's all or nothing to me, either really effective driving teams back or total loss of control. Had an OK first half then after 2nd goal went in the levels seem to ease off and we let them right back in to it. When we finally started whipping proper crosses in things started to fall, one thing I can't stand is floated crosses. Fair play to Hourihane though he stepped up that last 10 mins and pushed us forward.

I actually think Burton deserve a bit of credit

theyre certainly not the worst team we’ve played against 

elder has some responsibility for their second goal but it takes skill to score those having just come on on you’re debut 

and Seddon was a nuisance and took his goal well

they didn’t really offer much other than that - although defended well at times 

nothing more than an average league one team, but in such a bad league this year they could’ve been worse 

1st off I don't think the ref was as bad as some thought, He let play go on where in the EPL you'd get a free kicks nothing major in his handling of the game.

As for the game...at 2-0 game done and dusted I got the impression the players also thought that, But another challenge went unpunished and they score, A breakaway and a slip put Hugil in and it's now 2-2, One of the best defences against one of the worst attacks...this is the DCFC we have got to know.

NML could have scored in the 1st half when shooting...rebound to Barks who misses, Collins miss cues at 2-2 when on another day it gets smashed into the net, At 3-2 NML clean through and miss controls the ball, So on another day 4 or 5 goals and we're storming the league, It was a little messy at 2-2 not awful messy...we never rushed or panicked just that the ball wouldn't fall for us.

We won, We got the 3 points we move onto Lincoln, No histrionics from me...only we have to show more composure when defending.

I'll sleep well...goodnight and sleep tight all 👍 

3 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

I thought our midfield in general was pretty non existent, didn’t think him or hourihane had good games.

They weren't amazing but did ok under the circumstances. We dominated the first half but tired.  

1 minute ago, tomsdubs said:

It's poor football at times, Bird's neck must ache like a bitch watching all those long balls bypass him overhead every game. It's effective  but only when we are high on energy, soon as we drop off you can see it going wrong. The period before the equaliser we couldn't put 2 passes together for 5 mins it was genuinely awful. John-Jules was poor all game, link up play just never came off constantly rolling around for fouls that never were.

Warneball feels like it's all or nothing to me, either really effective driving teams back or total loss of control. Had an OK first half then after 2nd goal went in the levels seem to ease off and we let them right back in to it. When we finally started whipping proper crosses in things started to fall, one thing I can't stand is floated crosses. Fair play to Hourihane though he stepped up that last 10 mins and pushed us forward.

Yeah. Agree with that 

I don’t understand why we can’t just shake up the attacking play just sometimes and play to feet through the middle. With bird and Tommo etc we have players that could do it

not every attack- just sometimes 

49 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Not good enough in what sense? Hourihane did score the winner tonight, and has other fairly vital goals and assists this season, so he must have something to offer? 

Legs and control of the game, i aint saying hourihane im saying the partnership doesnt work so you can work that out if hourihane been so good who does it come too? 

48 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don't think he's done anything particularly wrong, but he doesn't look as confident or as match ready as Wildsmith. I didn't think Wildsmith deserved to be dropped, but I'd happily see him back in as I think he's the better of the two keepers.

I wasn’t surprised that Wildsmith was left out after a few mistakes recently. I agree that Vickers doesn’t look particularly commanding of his box. I would now reinstate Wildsmith, hoping that he has learnt he needs to keep on his toes and perform ( including not making ridiculous decision like the penalty at Oxford)

I thought we were in complete control of the game until we gave their first goal away. Really poor from NML. Trying to be too clever. Also felt Nelson could possibly have got out to him and not let him shoot. 

From that point we lost our way and looked nervous. When we really didn't need to. Then the second goal is criminal really.

But after that I thought we took control of the game again and in my opinion we deserved to win the game. They had 2 shots, which were both from our errors and scored them both. 66% possession, 7 shots on target. Should have been 2 up at half time and Collins should stick that volley away second half.

That could be a huge three points that could. Reminds me of when we nicked that winner against Yeovil in the last minute. 

Got to get some strength up front though. Absolutely nothing to come on there and change the game at all. Sooner we can get CBT and a striker in the better really 

After recent losses at home, we must applaud the players for digging in and grinding out a result. It would have been easy to let the capitulation v Peterborough and the non-appearance v Bradford take hold.

It is these games where you snatch joy from the ravenous mouth of despair that can make all the difference come the end of the season in building character and belief.

Add CBT to this team and keep Wildsmith, Collins, NML and the back four (with Nyambe and Forsyth) fit and firing, and you know what, we’ve got a chance.

21 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Yeah, I heard radio derby being very positive of burton on the way home. Personally thought we were just sloppy but they did punish us well. Don’t think burton offered much at all.

I felt the same. We made 2 mistakes, got punished and then contributed to Burtons “revival” by panicking/rushing/ getting in to hoof ball and head tennis. . Burton were plucky and worked very hard but it was our individual errors that let them get as close as they did. Why can’t  we get a young Manchester United kid on loan who can score on his debut ? 

Anyway .. it’s 3 precious points. That’s all that matters. Still lots of games to play. Still in a great run of form and had the spirit to keep playing. 

8 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

1st off I don't think the ref was as bad as some thought, He let play go on where in the EPL you'd get a free kicks nothing major in his handling of the game.

As for the game...at 2-0 game done and dusted I got the impression the players also thought that, But another challenge went unpunished and they score, A breakaway and a slip put Hugil in and it's now 2-2, One of the best defences against one of the worst attacks...this is the DCFC we have got to know.

NML could have scored in the 1st half when shooting...rebound to Barks who misses, Collins miss cues at 2-2 when on another day it gets smashed into the net, At 3-2 NML clean through and miss controls the ball, So on another day 4 or 5 goals and we're storming the league, It was a little messy at 2-2 not awful messy...we never rushed or panicked just that the ball wouldn't fall for us.

We won, We got the 3 points we move onto Lincoln, No histrionics from me...only we have to show more composure when defending.

I'll sleep well...goodnight and sleep tight all 👍 

Good Post, have a nice sleep