Derby V Burton match day thread

Boycie

On 16/01/2024 at 10:24, Caerphilly Ram said:

Limitations;

- the big one for me is his in game management, always has been. He can, as he’s done on a few occasions, make bold substitutions to positively affect the game. However, I feel it happens in a reactive way and I would rather see it done proactively…mainly to take away any nerves. It was a big feature of last season that an opposition manager would tweak tactics at half time and we wouldn’t adapt until it was too late. I want to see him just get the changes and subs done a bit sooner, whether we’re winning/drawing/losing.

- I guess the other one that sticks out to me, is the lack of control in games. I don’t subscribe to the reductive hoofball labels some throw about, and have said many times I think Warne’s style is like Diet-Klopp. We set up to blow teams off the park with pressing, high energy and directness (which I enjoy), but the side effects of that seem to be an aversion to taking the sting out of the game and controlling the pace occasionally. It’s not a big issue for me as I accept that’s how we play and mostly enjoy it, but it does strike me as something he is either inflexible on OR is struggling to coach into the team….either way I see it as a limitation.

Strengths;

- motivation, I think he’s got the group tight knit and working towards a shared goal. A lot of which I put down to his focus on character in recruitment.

- fitness, we (mostly) look fitter and more resilient than others sides at this level.

- the tactics (sat in both camps) can work brilliantly when executed, which is what leads to the next points….

- goals, we’re scoring lots through his approach

- away form, benefits from his tactics.

Probably some other bits but I’m meant to be delivering some training so should maybe pay attention. In case you’ve misunderstood my point, I’m a Warne fan and have always preached patience, however I’m not blinkered in that I can see he has his flaws (in my opinion) 

I believe we’re on the same wavelength re Warne @Caerphilly Ram . I’ve noticed too that the irritation is the Subs and I couldn’t agree more on that point too. We’re doing rather well so perhaps he does know best 🤔 but the goals conceded must be a concern lately. Are we becoming a Kevin Keegan's Newcastle of League 1…… ‘We’ll score one more than you’ . For the neutral entertaining but for our disposition it’s not healthy as Tuesday proved. I couldn’t enjoy it after their equaliser. Even my celebrations at our winner were subdued. Simply relieved. Pure  relief 

Season 11 Sigh GIF by One Chicago

24 minutes ago, ap04 said:

That would be fine if you and some of those liking your post hadn't also thought Peterborough away was thoroughly deserved or a demolition job following this

Screenshot2024-01-16at13-55-01PeterboroughUnited2-4DerbyCounty.png.fdd8573f95f5013a7dba55c2d39fb1a8.png

Statistics can be used to say many different things, these show a quite even match slightly in favour of the home team, but what were the stats at ht? We were 4-1 up then, with the game 'won', naturally we go a bit more cautious, unlike against Burton, this drastically reduces our attacking stats in the second half and probably allows a few distance shots from the desperate home team. The stats don't reveal how many of those attempts in the second half really troubled our keeper.

Here's 2 interesting but seemingly contradicting stats, Derby have scored more goals than anyone else after the 75 minute mark, this would suggest that we finish more strongly than anyone else.

On the other hand, if the final whistle had been blown dead on 90 minutes for every game this season, Derby would be 3 points clear at the top and 5 points clear of 'pompy'. This would suggest that Derby don't finish as strongly as 'Pompy' and Bolton, at least.

34 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Statistics can be used to say many different things, these show a quite even match slightly in favour of the home team, but what were the stats at ht? We were 4-1 up then, with the game 'won', naturally we go a bit more cautious, unlike against Burton, this drastically reduces our attacking stats in the second half and probably allows a few distance shots from the desperate home team. The stats don't reveal how many of those attempts in the second half really troubled our keeper.

Here's 2 interesting but seemingly contradicting stats, Derby have scored more goals than anyone else after the 75 minute mark, this would suggest that we finish more strongly than anyone else.

On the other hand, if the final whistle had been blown dead on 90 minutes for every game this season, Derby would be 3 points clear at the top and 5 points clear of 'pompy'. This would suggest that Derby don't finish as strongly as 'Pompy' and Bolton, at least.

First Half
Possession: 57.3% vs 42.7%
Shots: 6 vs 7
Shots on target: 2 vs 5
Corners: 2 vs 3
Fouls: 2 vs 3

Second Half
Possession: 62.0% vs 38.0%
Shots: 11 vs 6
Shots on target: 4 vs 0
Corners: 6 vs 6
Fouls 4 vs 9

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

First Half
Possession: 57.3% vs 42.7%
Shots: 6 vs 7
Shots on target: 2 vs 5
Corners: 2 vs 3
Fouls: 2 vs 3

Second Half
Possession: 62.0% vs 38.0%
Shots: 11 vs 6
Shots on target: 4 vs 0
Corners: 6 vs 6
Fouls 4 vs 9

Thanks GOC, these stats seem to back up my theory that we just sat back and contained the game in the second half, it would interesting to know the quality (the dreaded xg) of their chances in the second half, but that can be subjective.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Great, interesting post

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Why are the stats contradictory? Surely they just suggest we finish the final 15 minutes (plus time added on) the "strongest" but,  Pompy finish time added on "stronger". 

48 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Why are the stats contradictory? Surely they just suggest we finish the final 15 minutes (plus time added on) the "strongest" but,  Pompy finish time added on "stronger". 

You missed my point, I said SEEMINGLY contradictory, I was trying to point out that on their own, selective statistics can be used to 'prove' a point or make an assumption, which is not necessarily correct.

Those figures that I gave suggested how strongly we finished games, but mean nothing unless you include the number of goals that we also concede late in games. Also, it would be of little use if we scored twice in the last few minutes of every game, if we were losing by 3 goals each time.

In fact, in terms of injury time goals, we're one place outside of the relegation zone with 1 for and 3 against, with Northampton top having scored 7 and conceding 2 in injury time. Our strongest period is between the 75 and 90 minutes, with 15 to 5 conceded which is vastly better than the second placed team, P'boro on 8 and 3.

I'm almost beginning to sound like GOC, the king of stats.😉