Derby County Versus Crewe Alexandra - Match Day Thread - ( FA Cup 1st Rd Replay )

S8TY

For me, Warne needs a convincing winning run to get the season back on track. I don’t know how many of these results he can survive. Shrewsbury, Stevenage, Crewe - worryingly they are not a one off now.

I just don’t see how Clowes will not be asking himself questions now. Tonight was the perfect opportunity to vindicate the owner’s stance and Warne and the players completely fluffed it.

The worry for me is these players are really not anything special. I don’t see much untapped potential. I am not convinced a new manager will transform these players into a consistent winning machine.

I was at the game tonight.

Bizarrely, I actually thought the first half was hugely entertaining with both goalies making great saves as well as the goals.

Second half was dire.

In my opinion, Crewe were significantly better than the previous 3 League 1 teams we’ve played at home……but we were very poor in the second half.

I’m not a massive Warne fan but can’t really blame him for tonight - there WERE lots of crosses, most of them terrible, but there was also play on the floor through midfield, which was also sometimes terrible.

Warne didn’t underhit any passes, overhit any crosses, put 3 consecutive crosses into the goalie’s hands or jib out of any headers in midfield. 

I’m a big fan of Fozzy but he deserved to be hooked, as did Smith and Hourihane - so can’t really complain there.

As for the Bradley sub - again, I’m not a massive fan but it was to go 3 at the back to chuck more players up front…..actually an attacking sub.

I’ve blamed Warne for losses this season but I agreed with his RD interview…..just didn’t play well enough and congrats to Crewe.

Now let’s go and sign some of their players in Jan.

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's so easy to just blame everything on Warne. And lazy. He picked a side that should be beating Crewe comfortably, but the players didn't bring enough quality or effort, the grown adult footballers we employ should have enough professionalism to be able to perform better than that, even if the tactics are suboptimal. Warne isn't faultless, but why do we let the players off the hook? 

Agree, Warne picked the side that should be beating Crewe. But coaching them to play a certain way for this match (obviously done in a training session either this morning or yesterday) and getting it wrong. I'm sorry the buck stops with the manager. Quality and effort was there but can only shine if used correctly and that comes from the tactics and style demanded by the coaches (They got it wrong). Nothing was learned from the first game at Crewe and even when it was'nt going right tonight, the playing style did not change. Thats down to Warne and his coaching team to put right, adapt different styles of play, set up diferent depending on who you are playing to get results.

I was against this appointment when Warne and his circus came in and Liam got pushed out the door. The man is a one trick pony and lesser teams with clever coaches have sussed out a way of beating his teams. We have gone backwards, after 16 games in the league we have already lost 5 games and keeping this form up would see us lose around 14 games by the end of the season. That would most likely see us out of the top 6 again.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm not arguing you are. You think I have to answer your every question. Lol. Go ask someone who is bothered.

So why bother challenging me when I suggested perhaps there should be some shared responsibility.

Sound like you can't answer any questions (even the simple one "were you at the game?") and hide behind the cop out "go ask someone who is bothered"

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

For me, Warne needs a convincing winning run to get the season back on track. I don’t know how many of these results he can survive. Shrewsbury, Stevenage, Crewe - worryingly they are not a one off now.

I just don’t see how Clowes will not be asking himself questions now. Tonight was the perfect opportunity to vindicate the owner’s stance and Warne and the players completely fluffed it.

The worry for me is these players are really not anything special. I don’t see much untapped potential. I am not convinced a new manager will transform these players into a consistent winning machine.

You could add in Blackpool (home in the whatever cup) and Oxford at home to that list.

Too many "disappointments" for me. 7 defeats already (including cups) and we're only a third through the season.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Changing tactics and playing style might help. Also adapting with changes to counter against different opposition play and styles. Warne is not a good tactician especially when you consider we only played Crewe 10 days ago.

We can talk about tactical shortcomings or managerial failings all day long but the bottom line tonight is that we made too many individual errors and failings in bad passes, poor crosses and pedestrian movement of the ball, which coincided with an opponent who had 11 players who worked very hard whilst displaying some good skills, quick thinking and a winning attitude.

Very disappointed, lacklustre everywhere. Sibs is a good lad for sure, but he isn’t going to attract higher league attention whatever position he plays in. 

39 minutes ago, DerbyAleMan said:

To be fair to Warne he mentioned this in his radio Derby interview, and said we should not have kept hitting the ball in the area time and time again, we should have been more patient and try to work out better openings, the players chose to do this. 

Just randomly? Despite Warne telling them not to do this?

I'm a bit confused about how the players are being told to attack.

Maybe they are, too.

It's not coaching to tell players they need to make the right decisions at the right time. Coaching is setting up clear systems and tactics which help them to do so. 

Didn’t see the game. Really unsure though why a couple of youngsters were not started tonight. Freshen it up a bit - give a few players a bit more experience, give a few players a rest after Saturday.  That Fapetu was the only one to get on the pitch, for the last 10 minutes, is very disappointing. To bring Bradley on also seems criminal to me. At 3-1 down, in fact early in the second half, wasn’t Weston worth an another try upfront alongside Collins?  I can’t lose any sleep us going out of the Cup tonight, but I had hoped for something out of tonight. A plus point or two, after two successive leagues wins. Pretty deflating being a Ram at the moment.

That was disappointing tonight. We were woefully one-dimensional - don’t know if that was down to Warne’s tactics or the players, likely a bit of both. I enjoyed sitting in the East Stand for a change but that was pretty much the only positive. Oh well, hope we’ll turn it around against Bristol Rovers and can get some consistency.

3 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Changing tactics and playing style might help. Also adapting with changes to counter against different opposition play and styles. Warne is not a good tactician especially when you consider we only played Crewe 10 days ago.

With the exception of two players, this was the same side that swept Barnsley aside just 3 days ago with possibly our most encouraging performance of the season.

It’s so difficult to compute.

Clearly a lot can be put at Warne’s door. He could have changed the game tonight and engineered a comeback. It’s very rare we do this.

But these players are also very hard to like at the moment. Even with the very best coaching, tactics and style of play, I think they would find a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

What tonight demonstrated is that Warne, his coaches and the squad learned absolutely nothing from the last game against Crewe.

Scandalous really.

What is scandalous is a midfield that completely failed. They allowed the opposition midfielders to run past them, our deepest sat midfielder didn't do enough to close down these runs, they didn't move the ball quickly, failed to win enough 50 50 challenges and the biggest failure their ability to pass the ball to a team mate.

The midfield is the engine that drives the team. Unfortunately our's is misfiring and definitely needs at least one of the pistons replacing.

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

If everyone cared so much, I'm surprised that the crowd was so small.

At least I can say I care, I was there, and after the Barnsley game, I felt confident going to the game tonight, oh how wrong was I, but on the 25th I will be back getting behind the team, and driving them onto victory, and hope the good Derby turn up, like we did against Northampton and Barnsley. It's in our DNA youth.