Derby County Versus Crewe Alexandra - Match Day Thread - ( FA Cup 1st Rd Replay )

S8TY

To me, that looks like a team that were feeling all billy big b******* after beating Barnsley comfortably

Crewe at home on a Tuesday probably looked like a doddle to them and I do wonder if some of the current squad think they’re above our current fixture list. The amount of no shows against teams we should be beating can’t all be down to Warne. We have a lot of players who’ve played at the level above, are they hungry enough?

Think Warne is to blame for not rotating, we’re not winning the cup but you need to give youngsters opportunities to play. Now it’s just the ‘no pot to piss in cup’ left for the youngsters to get game time in because Warne admittedly seems married to his senior pros, which may be part of the larger problem

How he’s not given Weston and at least one of the other youngsters a start is beyond me

However, I think there is a massive focus on Warne which is letting the players get away with murder. As a group they need to come together and stop this happening so regularly, we really need a run of results here.

Five more games before Christmas, all against teams lower than us in the table. Can this manager and team get themselves up for these? You’d like to see us get 10 points from those as a minimum, it’s the time of year you start studying the table and the aim should be to get within touching distance of that top three of Bolton, Oxford and Pompey. Getting clear of Barnsley, Stevenage and Pboro goes without saying, we need to be buried in that top six ASAP

Dreading the January instability, Cashin and Bird leaving could be disastrous if we’re not careful

3 hours ago, Banksy said:

Not true. That honour belongs to Arthur Cox when we lost to Hartlepool away by 2-1 on 17 November 1984.

True, i was there, and Graham Richards had a dicky fit telling Arthur Cox to leave the club. . . . . . . . . . . not that i think Mr Warne is going to get anywhere near Arthur Cox territory career wise!!!   Usually try to look at positives, but he can't have many more matches like this

8 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Noticed a lack of a certain poster tonight, despite being happy to call you out for not posting enough at the weekend.

Many apologies but to quote somebody, maybe I 'have a life outside of this forum'.

I neither went to, nor listened to, the game, so don't really see the point in me commenting on it.

Its certainly no shock to see certain posters post count at much higher levels than they were on Saturday evening though.

Barnsley matchday thread 22 pages.

Crewe matchday thread 32 pages.

Clear what situation some people revel in most.

Didn’t take long for some to conveniently forget that Saturday happened. Barnsley cannot be ignored, our best performance under Warne  and off the back of two positive performances at home. Since Stevenage there has been a marked improvement. 

Last night was awful. I took a Crewe fan to the game (who probably wishes he was in the away end and not around grumbling miserable Derby fans). Players were nowhere near at the same intensity, everything was slow. It happens sometimes in the cup, in the grand scheme I’d rather that last night against Crewe in the cup than against Bristol. We should draw a line under it and move on. 

That being said while majority of blame for last night lies with the players, Warne needs to utilise his squad better. Playing the same team practically from Saturday with some old players in there, it was always a challenge. Although maybe the likes of Robinson would be in there if not called up.

As for Louis Sibley - he can’t be defended any more. He has chance after chance and never grabs it. There is a reason no manager has played him regularly since Cocu. He has skill and finishing ability but completely lacks any football intelligence, he’s not going to be the player we thought (I certainly hoped) he would be and he needs to move for the sake of his career. 

I didn’t go last night or listen to the game so maybe I shouldn’t be posting, but I was there on Saturday and although I left happy at the result I didn’t think we performed particularly well up until getting the penalty. But more disappointing was the fact Weston in particular got no game time after appearing in midweek getting an assist and a goal! The same last night, we are 3-1 down and Sonny Bradley gets another run out instead of Weston when we are chasing the game!? I just don’t get it with Warne and Bradley, whatever the situation he always gets game time, is that in his contract? I do agree with other posters that the players are not blameless in this, far from it, do some of them really think they are too good for lower league teams, if so they need a reality check because some of there performances have been embarrassing to DCFC!! One last thing, I never have and still don’t see how Smith, Hourihane and Bird are a good midfield trio 🤔 

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

To me, that looks like a team that were feeling all billy big b******* after beating Barnsley comfortably

Crewe at home on a Tuesday probably looked like a doddle to them and I do wonder if some of the current squad think they’re above our current fixture list. The amount of no shows against teams we should be beating can’t all be down to Warne. We have a lot of players who’ve played at the level above, are they hungry enough?

Think Warne is to blame for not rotating, we’re not winning the cup but you need to give youngsters opportunities to play. Now it’s just the ‘no pot to piss in cup’ left for the youngsters to get game time in because Warne admittedly seems married to his senior pros, which may be part of the larger problem

How he’s not given Weston and at least one of the other youngsters a start is beyond me

However, I think there is a massive focus on Warne which is letting the players get away with murder. As a group they need to come together and stop this happening so regularly, we really need a run of results here.

Five more games before Christmas, all against teams lower than us in the table. Can this manager and team get themselves up for these? You’d like to see us get 10 points from those as a minimum, it’s the time of year you start studying the table and the aim should be to get within touching distance of that top three of Bolton, Oxford and Pompey. Getting clear of Barnsley, Stevenage and Pboro goes without saying, we need to be buried in that top six ASAP

Dreading the January instability, Cashin and Bird leaving could be disastrous if we’re not careful

Yup, that saves me putting my thoughts in a message as your post has articulated what I feel to a tee.

8 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Agree, Warne picked the side that should be beating Crewe. But coaching them to play a certain way for this match (obviously done in a training session either this morning or yesterday) and getting it wrong. I'm sorry the buck stops with the manager. Quality and effort was there but can only shine if used correctly and that comes from the tactics and style demanded by the coaches (They got it wrong). Nothing was learned from the first game at Crewe and even when it was'nt going right tonight, the playing style did not change. Thats down to Warne and his coaching team to put right, adapt different styles of play, set up diferent depending on who you are playing to get results.

I was against this appointment when Warne and his circus came in and Liam got pushed out the door. The man is a one trick pony and lesser teams with clever coaches have sussed out a way of beating his teams. We have gone backwards, after 16 games in the league we have already lost 5 games and keeping this form up would see us lose around 14 games by the end of the season. That would most likely see us out of the top 6 again.

We’ve just won our last 3 home games conceding 0 goals and scoring 9 including battering a promotion rival. Win our game in hand we’re in the top 6 and we’re closer to top 2 than we were a few weeks ago. We lost 3 of the first 6 and then lost 2 of our last 10. League is wide open this season.

The writing was on the wall after three away performances but the cup game should be discounted IMO. Poor performances in cups happen and have happened even when we’ve had a good team.

Lose or don’t win the next 2 (Bristol and Vale) then writing is on the wall again. That’s when we can fundamentally say this team is inconsistent 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Didn’t take long for some to conveniently forget that Saturday happened. Barnsley cannot be ignored, our best performance under Warne  and off the back of two positive performances at home. Since Stevenage there has been a marked improvement. 

Last night was awful. I took a Crewe fan to the game (who probably wishes he was in the away end and not around grumbling miserable Derby fans). Players were nowhere near at the same intensity, everything was slow. It happens sometimes in the cup, in the grand scheme I’d rather that last night against Crewe in the cup than against Bristol. We should draw a line under it and move on. 

That being said while majority of blame for last night lies with the players, Warne needs to utilise his squad better. Playing the same team practically from Saturday with some old players in there, it was always a challenge. Although maybe the likes of Robinson would be in there if not called up.

As for Louis Sibley - he can’t be defended any more. He has chance after chance and never grabs it. There is a reason no manager has played him regularly since Cocu. He has skill and finishing ability but completely lacks any football intelligence, he’s not going to be the player we thought (I certainly hoped) he would be and he needs to move for the sake of his career. 

Robinson was on the bench.

This guy off on international duty. 

Screenshot_20231115_082654_Instagram.jpg