v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Have a word with B4. I’m sure he’ll come up with a plan for you to pop back for a few hours then resume your holiday. 

I'm away in Greece on holiday too, so that's mine and my lad's seat empty. The missus books the holidays, B4 needs a word as the football schedule isn't important!

To bring things back into focus for @IlsonDerby’s benefit, I think this should be the lineup for Saturday. With a bench of Vickers (if fit), Wilson, Rooney, Thompson, Washington, Barkhuizen (if fit), Waghorn (if signed). 
NML and Bird to get into those attacking areas to support Collins as they have in pre-season, Forsyth offering a more solid option than Thompson on the left who can come on to rest Fozzy’s legs once we’re comfortably in the lead. 

6D6EE60E-9E47-49E9-AF7C-4C75545FC09D.jpeg

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

49 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Fzck me is this the Wigan thread or the play off final from the 90s thread? 

Come on here to see people’s opinions of how we’ll get on Saturday and I’m just sitting through pages of who was where and who was to blame in a match from 30 year ago. 

Blame Oasis.  The games constantly immortalised on the back of the newspaper Liam Gallaghers reading on the album photos.  Definitely not bloody Maybe Gonna Live Forever.

WhatsApp-Image-2018-01-10-at-13.jpg

15 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

To bring things back into focus for @IlsonDerby’s benefit, I think this should be the lineup for Saturday. With a bench of Vickers (if fit), Wilson, Rooney, Thompson, Washington, Barkhuizen (if fit), Waghorn (if signed). 
NML and Bird to get into those attacking areas to support Collins as they have in pre-season, Forsyth offering a more solid option than Thompson on the left who can come on to rest Fozzy’s legs once we’re comfortably in the lead. 

6D6EE60E-9E47-49E9-AF7C-4C75545FC09D.jpeg

Decent. This reminded me however, Hourihane is arguably one of the best finishers we have, could see him scoring even more if pushed further forward. Any downsides to this in our current situation?

3 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Decent. This reminded me however, Hourihane is arguably one of the best finishers we have, could see him scoring even more if pushed further forward. Any downsides to this in our current situation?

He's not good in tight spaces and has a good range of deep passing. Bird is much better in tight spaces and spotting the 'cuter' pass or flick, as well as having the legs to press more from the front in a Warne system.

4 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Yeah I agree Hourihane is a goal threat if we can get him close enough to the goal. I guess if it was just Smith sat in front of the back 3 that lack of pace could be exposed on the counter. Perhaps a case of Bird and Hourihane alternating? Or at home when we’re potentially going to dominate the ball maybe it’s not so much of a problem and both Bird and Hourihane can get forward 🤔 

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

He's not good in tight spaces and has a good range of deep passing. Bird is much better in tight spaces and spotting the 'cuter' pass or flick, as well as having the legs to press more from the front in a Warne system.

Interesting, makes sense , especially about pressing. It seems on the evidence so far that Connor is a way better finisher from close range and I could see him profiting from scraps in the box as crosses are defended.

Last season Connor drifted out to the left to put deep crosses in, which from memory wasn't that successful and arguably is less needed now we will have a wingback. 

I don't see why Tommo won't be LWB v Wigan, he's started every pre-season game there since Elder has been injured, I can't see them suddenly changing to Fozzy now just because of one poor half against a top Champ/lower Prem team.

Wigan don't have a bad team, but will have plenty of young inexperienced players lining up in defence against us next week. It seems Hughes (19) and Morrison (20) will be their starting centre backs, possibly even playing infront of Sam Tickle (21) a young goalkeeper with just two senior starts to his name. In defensive midfield it's almost certainly going to be Smith (22) and Aasgard (21). 

They do have some experience in attack - Lang, Wyke, McClean, McManaman, Humphreys, etc. Lang, Wyke and Humphreys have all proven they can score goals in League One. McManaman and McClean have had decent careers. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1-1 draw, but feel like Warne will fancy himself to gameplan an uncomfortable afternoon for a defence wet behind the ears. 

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Fzck me is this the Wigan thread or the play off final from the 90s thread? 

Come on here to see people’s opinions of how we’ll get on Saturday and I’m just sitting through pages of who was where and who was to blame in a match from 30 year ago. 

Ok,ok…..point taken………………………still can’t get that bleedin Bobby Zamora goal out of my head…..we were right in line with it and knew it was in as soon as it left his foot 🤭

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Wigan don't have a bad team, but will have plenty of young inexperienced players lining up in defence against us next week. It seems Hughes (19) and Morrison (20) will be their starting centre backs, possibly even playing infront of Sam Tickle (21) a young goalkeeper with just two senior starts to his name. In defensive midfield it's almost certainly going to be Smith (22) and Aasgard (21). 

They do have some experience in attack - Lang, Wyke, McClean, McManaman, Humphreys, etc. Lang, Wyke and Humphreys have all proven they can score goals in League One. McManaman and McClean have had decent careers. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1-1 draw, but feel like Warne will fancy himself to gameplan an uncomfortable afternoon for a defence wet behind the ears. 

Could be a challenge getting past Mr Tickle in goal!

IMG_2572.jpeg