v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

20 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Any sort of win on Saturday will do for me. I don't want a season anything like 1993-94 thank you. As you say, it started with the 5-0 home win against Sunderland. But it ended with Forest promoted in second place and with us being beaten by Leicester and Roger Milford in the play-off final. Awful memories, never forgotten. 🥲

I was there 🙈

39 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Any sort of win on Saturday will do for me. I don't want a season anything like 1993-94 thank you. As you say, it started with the 5-0 home win against Sunderland. But it ended with Forest promoted in second place and with us being beaten by Leicester and Roger Milford in the play-off final. Awful memories, never forgotten. 🥲

Roger (F###in) Milford, that guy cost us the game, well every bit as much as Jossy Williams did with that ridiculous goal line clearance effort 🤦🏻‍♂️😱

9 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Roger (F###in) Milford, that guy cost us the game, well every bit as much as Jossy Williams did with that ridiculous goal line clearance effort 🤦🏻‍♂️😱

And let's not forget John Harkes missing the sitter of all sitters just before Walsh scored the winner.

9 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

And let's not forget John Harkes missing the sitter of all sitters just before Walsh scored the winner.

Assisted by Ian Ormondroyd the giant at the far post, Milford(pretty boy)was more interested in his perm, What a silent drive home that was, With Leicester fans taking the piss on the bridges going home 😡up the M1 

18 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Assisted by Ian Ormondroyd the giant at the far post, Milford(pretty boy)was more interested in his perm, What a silent drive home that was, With Leicester fans taking the piss on the bridges going home 😡up the M1 

It’s funny, that was a slow burner. It took a couple of weeks before the defeat hit me. Unlike the QPR defeat 💣

47 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Think the way we line up with NML I feel it will suit barkhuizen down to the ground! Think if he plays in that roll I fancy him to get 10-15 goals this season 

I worry that Barkhuizen may be this season’s Chester, given his stop-start season last year. If he is fit I think we have to play him as a 10.

3 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I remembered it ended badly, but I'd someone excised from my memory that it was *that* season ending in that awful match. Another moment for the club that has scarred many of us on here.

It's a reminder that automatics have to be the target - leave nothing to chance. And that should tell everyone how important this game is. Last season, Barnsley showed the best form in the division all the way to the end of the season from October, yet still finished only 4th. We cannot afford to start slowly and have anyone think the opening games don't matter so much as we play ourselves into the campaign. We need to be ruthless from the off. We need to hit the ground running and not look back until the season is over.

9 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

Left wing back is the area of concern for me. Fozzy doesn't have the legs to do it for long periods of the game and Tommo doesn't have the physicality or disapline. 

Over the course of the season i agree, but hopefully Elder will be there most of the season, I do believe Fozzy will be fine there for odd games, but not to many , as he does lack the legs for the position, if he played there for a length of time, but 1 or 2 games on the run, he should be fine. 

10 minutes ago, DerbyAleMan said:

Over the course of the season i agree, but hopefully Elder will be there most of the season, I do believe Fozzy will be fine there for odd games, but not to many , as he does lack the legs for the position, if he played there for a length of time, but 1 or 2 games on the run, he should be fine. 

I agree. Hopefully Elder will be there most of the season, but as the role is so demanding he won't be able to play 90 minutes every game. Maybe a young loanee who can play left wing back would be ideal for sqaud depth.