v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

17 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Not sure what the neutral consensus is in the media and the like. As I understand it they’ve been taken over by a wealthy local benefactor but have lost players as a result of the previous regime, a number of their key players have moved on and whilst they’ve been able to recruit it’s been later than other clubs and as such their summer has been disrupted…..that all sounds frighteningly familiar 🫣🤢

According to the bookies they’ll be relegated and with an 8 point deficit and probably losing this first match will find it very hard to recover those points. They’ve lost most of their good players, several taking advantage of the non paid wages problem to up sticks and walk so no transfer fees. The ones they are stuck with are the high paid players nobody else wants to buy like Charlie Wyke who still can’t do 90 minutes after his heart problems. Most of their signings are freebies as the embargo prevents them paying fees but their new owner, although a billionaire intends to run the club sustainably so I would expect the best they can hope for is survival. It’s not easy when you’re adrift at the bottom and every game seems to add more pressure. The bookies don’t often get it wrong and I don’t think they have with Wigan and it will be a struggle for them.

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

McManaman and McClean have had decent careers.

I suppose you could point out that he's made Premier League, Champions League & Europa League appearances, but if McManaman's had a decent career I'd hate to see what a poor one would look like.

15 years in the game but he's he's only played the equivalent of 160 matches when you add up his total minutes of senior/first team football.

(As he was once considered a 'hot prospect" I'm just picking out two of our own for comparison - Jason Knight's already played just under 135 matches worth, Sibley just over 72 and they're 10-11 years younger than him)

3.6 goal contributions a season on average and that's with playing in Australia & League Two in the past 2 seasons.

Edited by Kokosnuss

54 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I suppose you could point out that he's made Premier League, Champions League & Europa League appearances, but if McManaman's had a decent career I'd hate to see what a poor one would look like.

15 years in the game but he's he's only played the equivalent of 160 matches when you add up his total minutes of senior/first team football.

(As he was once considered a 'hot prospect" I'm just picking out two of our own for comparison - Jason Knight's already played just under 135 matches worth, Sibley just over 72 and they're 10-11 years younger than him)

3.6 goal contributions a season on average and that's with playing in Australia & League Two in the past 2 seasons.

He was MOTM when Wigan won the FA Cup - he was outstanding that day. He's always been plagued by injuries but any player key to a major trophy success in their career can say they've had a decent one, at least for me. 

43 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He was MOTM when Wigan won the FA Cup - he was outstanding that day. He's always been plagued by injuries but any player key to a major trophy success in their career can say they've had a decent one, at least for me. 

I've seen the highlights before. All I can say is that there must have been a very low bar at the time for what constituted an outstanding performance.

Ran a lot. Could happily beat defenders for pace (leading to them stupidly fouling him when they should have known better) but didn't have the skill to beat anyone one to one. Final ball was s****.

He is of course now guaranteed to score against us.

Edited by Kokosnuss

21 hours ago, Warren Blufitt said:

According to the bookies they’ll be relegated and with an 8 point deficit and probably losing this first match will find it very hard to recover those points. They’ve lost most of their good players, several taking advantage of the non paid wages problem to up sticks and walk so no transfer fees. The ones they are stuck with are the high paid players nobody else wants to buy like Charlie Wyke who still can’t do 90 minutes after his heart problems. Most of their signings are freebies as the embargo prevents them paying fees but their new owner, although a billionaire intends to run the club sustainably so I would expect the best they can hope for is survival. It’s not easy when you’re adrift at the bottom and every game seems to add more pressure. The bookies don’t often get it wrong and I don’t think they have with Wigan and it will be a struggle for them.

William Hill have Wigan mid table and Oddschecker about 17th. Not seeing any relegation mentioned.

11 minutes ago, admira said:

William Hill have Wigan mid table and Oddschecker about 17th. Not seeing any relegation mentioned.

Poll on their fans forum had about 55% of their fans rating them as mid-table, and 22% rating them as making the play-offs.