v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

47 minutes ago, angieram said:

Guilt - when you buy your partner flowers to make you feel better about snogging some random at the Christmas Party. 

Gilt, a gold or similar veneer laid onto a base metal to make it appear better than it is, hence "gilt-edged chance" 

My pleasure. 

If you're going to do that on here Angie you will be typing all day! 

I don’t half miss the days under McClaren when we used to be able to make more than 3 passes without giving the ball away.

Good passing is what opens teams up. 

If all we intend on doing this season is having the wing backs whip balls into the box we’re in for a very long season.

Good teams have many ways to penetrate the oppositions defence, crosses into the box shouldn’t be all we depend on.

Bird is wasted playing where he did on Saturday, his strengths are reading the game, breaking up play and finding the ball the gets us back on he counter attack. We need some creativity behind the two strikers, someone that can run at defenders and creates space for the strikers. I’m sure Sibley can do that.

And on the defensive side of things, when one wing back pushes on the other should drop back to make a 4, over committing players forward like we did Saturday left us wide open to the counter attacks.

56 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

I don’t half miss the days under McClaren when we used to be able to make more than 3 passes without giving the ball away.

Good passing is what opens teams up. 

If all we intend on doing this season is having the wing backs whip balls into the box we’re in for a very long season.

Good teams have many ways to penetrate the oppositions defence, crosses into the box shouldn’t be all we depend on.

Bird is wasted playing where he did on Saturday, his strengths are reading the game, breaking up play and finding the ball the gets us back on he counter attack. We need some creativity behind the two strikers, someone that can run at defenders and creates space for the strikers. I’m sure Sibley can do that.

And on the defensive side of things, when one wing back pushes on the other should drop back to make a 4, over committing players forward like we did Saturday left us wide open to the counter attacks.

If Forsyth didn't push forward when Ward was attacking we wouldn't have scored vs Wigan. 
The general opinion was Mac's 13/14 side was well balanced. In attack, we more or less lined up like this:

Grant
Wisdom   Keogh   Buxton       
Thorne
           Hughes   Bryson   Forsyth
Russell   Martin   Ward 

With how Warne wants us to attack, we're closer to this:

Wildsmith
Nelson   Bradley   Cashin
Smith   Hourihane
Ward   Bird  Mendez-Laing   Forsyth
Collins

Both setups leave 3 defensive players and at least 1 DM to screen in front of them. We got cut open when one of the CBs was caught upfield, either from joining in with the attacks (Bradley), or helping out wide to get crosses in.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If Forsyth didn't push forward when Ward was attacking we wouldn't have scored vs Wigan. 
The general opinion was Mac's 13/14 side was well balanced. In attack, we more or less lined up like this:

Grant
Wisdom   Keogh   Buxton       
Thorne
           Hughes   Bryson   Forsyth
Russell   Martin   Ward 

With how Warne wants us to attack, we're closer to this:

Wildsmith
Nelson   Bradley   Cashin
Smith   Hourihane
Ward   Bird  Mendez-Laing   Forsyth
Collins

Both setups leave 3 defensive players and at least 1 DM to screen in front of them. We got cut open when one of the CBs was caught upfield, either from joining in with the attacks (Bradley), or helping out wide to get crosses in.

I’m not saying both wingbacks pushing on will not occasionally produce something positive, I just think through doing so we leave ourselves wide open for the counter especially if we don’t have one of the midfield doing as you said and dropping back to screen the defence.