v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

25 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

remembered it ended badly, but I'd someone excised from my memory that it was *that* season ending in that awful match. Another moment for the club that has scarred many of us on here.

It's a reminder that automatics have to be the target - leave nothing to chance. And that should tell everyone how important this game is. Last season, Barnsley showed the best form in the division all the way to the end of the season from October, yet still finished only 4th. We cannot afford to start slowly and have anyone think the opening games don't matter so much as we play ourselves into the campaign. We need to be ruthless from the off. We need to hit the ground running and not look back until the season is over.

My thoughts entirely. We do not want to be chasing the leading pack as we had to virtually from the second game last season. We need to be in contention from the off, particularly as Warne's previous promotion winning sides seem to have been prone to a wobble later on. A good start will build belief among the players. In the first three months we have two tough back-to-back early away games at Peterborough and Bolton and two potentially tough home games against Portsmouth and Charlton, which require us to take at least half the points overall in my opinion. The other games should see us taking a lion's share of the points if we are serious contenders to finish in the top two. We've never gone beyond two successive seasons at this level and we don't want to contemplate still being down here this time next year. It's a massive season for us and we need an early charge. Here's hoping it goes our way.

COYR

I reckon we will line up as a 3421 -

Wildsmith - Nelson Bradley Cashin - Ward Smith Hourihane Forsyth - NML Bird - Collins

Vickers Rooney Wilson Elder Thompson Washington Waghorn

I reckon Waghorn will sign this week, if we sign another attacking player as well they may come in for Elder who will have had 1 week of training.

But if you look at that 11 & bench (if Waggy signs), then add Sibley & Barkhuizen it doesnt look too bad, add a few more signings as well & thats a very good squad imo.

Edited by DCFC1388

5 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Any sort of win on Saturday will do for me. I don't want a season anything like 1993-94 thank you. As you say, it started with the 5-0 home win against Sunderland. But it ended with Forest promoted in second place and with us being beaten by Leicester and Roger Milford in the play-off final. Awful memories, never forgotten. 🥲

Can we at least have the 5-0 bit 👍 - I remember it all very well

4 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Assisted by Ian Ormondroyd the giant at the far post, Milford(pretty boy)was more interested in his perm, What a silent drive home that was, With Leicester fans taking the piss on the bridges going home 😡up the M1 

Silence of the Rams - I can’t wait to watch them complode hopefully 

2 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

Left wing back is the area of concern for me. Fozzy doesn't have the legs to do it for long periods of the game and Tommo doesn't have the physicality or disapline. 

It’s one game 

11 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Only 1,986 tickets left now I’d imagine we will sell out, or be very very close to

Bet there will be a lot of season ticket holders away on holiday though. Me and my son for a start. So the crowd will be lower even though tickets are sold

Slow start to pre season but think we've looked decent in the last two games. Looking a bit more solid and whilst we're still lacking flair and creativity I'll go Derby 2 - 0.

On a side note re attendance, there are 4 blocks on the east stand (2 lower and 2 upper nearest away fans) which aren't blacked out the same as other areas marked as sold out. Almost like they're unavailable. Seems a bit odd as assume there are sths in those areas. Any one have tickets in there? If so could be a near home sell out by Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Are Wigan expected to be any good this year?

Not sure what the neutral consensus is in the media and the like. As I understand it they’ve been taken over by a wealthy local benefactor but have lost players as a result of the previous regime, a number of their key players have moved on and whilst they’ve been able to recruit it’s been later than other clubs and as such their summer has been disrupted…..that all sounds frighteningly familiar 🫣🤢