v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

Assuming Bird isn't available if talks with Hull progress: 

I expect the team to be: Wildsmith; Nelson, Bradley, Cashin; Forsyth, Robinson, Smith, Ward; NML, Hourihane; Collins. 

If it was me, I think I'd pump the breaks on wing backs when our only real LWB is injured (or not fit enough to start) and we're in the process of shifting the player we had groomed for the 10 role. 

I think I'd go for a 4-3-3 with Ward and NML on the wings: Wildsmith; Forsyth, Bradley, Cashin, Wilson; Smith, Hourihane, Robinson/Rooney; NML, Collins, Ward. 

Tough situation, but if we can just survive the game and grind out three points then that would be a minor miracle given the circumstances. 

31 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I expect the team to be: Wildsmith; Nelson, Bradley, Cashin; Forsyth, Robinson, Smith, Ward; NML, Hourihane; Collins. 

If it was me, I think I'd pump the breaks on wing backs when our only real LWB is injured (or not fit enough to start) and we're in the process of shifting the player we had groomed for the 10 role. 

I think I'd go for a 4-3-3 with Ward and NML on the wings: Wildsmith; Forsyth, Bradley, Cashin, Wilson; Smith, Hourihane, Robinson/Rooney; NML, Collins, Ward. 

Tough situation, but if we can just survive the game and grind out three points then that would be a minor miracle given the circumstances. 

A minor miracle to survive a game against Wigan with that side? Behave.

What's the score with the matchday score predictor thread thingy?

After years of making light of it, and predicting ridiculous wins week in week out, I quite fancy me to be sensible this season*, and maybe become a contender!

*1 goal wins, week in, week out!

Nothing better than opening day at home...

Brand new latest edition crisp white shirt?  Check.

Glorious sunshine, and short sleeve temps?  Check.

Exciting opposition, bringing thousands of their marauding fans?  Check.

All the up and coming newly signed young guns chomping at the bit for a starting berth?  Check.

Oh... erm... aah!  🙄

40 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Nothing better than opening day at home...

Brand new latest edition crisp white shirt?  Check.

Glorious sunshine, and short sleeve temps?  Check.

Exciting opposition, bringing thousands of their marauding fans?  Check.

All the up and coming newly signed young guns chomping at the bit for a starting berth?  Check.

Oh... erm... aah!  🙄

1 out of 4 ain’t too bad

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It's Wigan not a top quality side we are playing,  they aren't in great shape themselves so we should still be favourites at home.

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Not being funny, but is this a serious post? Wigan have been a total shambles recently and we're expected to survive and scrape some points? 

We are in an infinitely better position then them, with a better squad, at home. We should be aiming to beat them. We might not of course, but we should.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Not being funny, but is this a serious post? Wigan have been a total shambles recently and we're expected to survive and scrape some points? 

We are in an infinitely better position then them, with a better squad, at home. We should be aiming to beat them. We might not of course, but we should.

It was in response if Bird wasn’t going to be available, but definitely think you’re under-estimating Wigan. They have very solid performers at this level:

Callum Lang - goal contribution every 169 minutes in league one (81 appearances)

Charlie Wyke - goal contribution every 170 minutes in league one (190 appearances)

Stephen Humphreys - goal contribution every 158 minutes in league one. (144 appearances)

They’ve loaned some highly rated players: Kell Watts, Liam Morrison and James Balazigi - Balazigi in particular has a tremendous reputation at youth level. Morrison has been in and around the Bayern first team squad recently. 

James McClean is still a regular and consistent performer for Ireland and will be a top performer in this division. You have him alongside the above and others who played a part in winning the league last time they were down here. I don’t think they will be in the playoffs due to the -8 but I’d guess they finish within 10 points of 6th and therefore will be a dangerous side for anyone to face this season. 

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It was in response if Bird wasn’t going to be available, but definitely think you’re under-estimating Wigan. They have very solid performers at this level:

Callum Lang - goal contribution every 169 minutes in league one (81 appearances)

Charlie Wyke - goal contribution every 170 minutes in league one (190 appearances)

Stephen Humphreys - goal contribution every 158 minutes in league one. (144 appearances)

They’ve loaned some highly rated players: Kell Watts, Liam Morrison and James Balazigi - Balazigi in particular has a tremendous reputation at youth level. Morrison has been in and around the Bayern first team squad recently. 

James McClean is still a regular and consistent performer for Ireland and will be a top performer in this division. You have him alongside the above and others who played a part in winning the league last time they were down here. I don’t think they will be in the playoffs due to the -8 but I’d guess they finish within 10 points of 6th and therefore will be a dangerous side for anyone to face this season. 

I agree that many are probably underestimating Wigan but still, to describe scraping a win as a minor miracle (with or without Bird) is just plain ridiculous. It won’t be a walk in the park but I very much doubt Wigan consider it a gimme (which it would have to be for a Derby win to be considered a minor miracle). A narrow win for Wigan might be a surprise (but not a shock) but Derby rightly start as favourites in everyone’s eyes (IMO) except for the most optimistic Wigan fans or doom merchant Derby fans.

20 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

What's the score with the matchday score predictor thread thingy?

After years of making light of it, and predicting ridiculous wins week in week out, I quite fancy me to be sensible this season*, and maybe become a contender!

*1 goal wins, week in, week out!

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but it's probably a lot of work for whoever runs the thread, so someone likely has to volunteer. I've never got involved, even simply on the prediction side...

Edit: I now see @mozza has started the predictions thread! 

Edited by Carl Sagan

Only 743 tickets left now for home fans including 9 in the South stand and 10 in the East stand.

I think they will soon open up all the seats not usually on sale like block H in the west stand and the 4 blocks nearest the away fans in the East stand.