James Collins

Keepyuppy

11 minutes ago, Srg said:

Seems like a bit of copium at the moment, trying to reason with the fact we haven't signed anyone more exciting to play striker. This 20 goal+ talk will die down when we sign someone.

I disagree - I think it’s people just being reasonable about a forward who has a track record of scoring goals at this level. He’s a goalscorer - not a playmaker - and I’m sure if you asked him he’d tell you the same. I think the fact he took 9 games to get going last season meant a lot of people wrote him off - and then he was being unfairly compared with DM. 

Would I also like another forward with explosive pace and power - Yes - but that’s in addition to, not instead of Collins.

Edited by Dava75

These magical 20 goal a season strikers are great and everything, you know what's better though? Goals from across the team so we're not reliant on one player to hit the onion bag.

Why not have both? Well yeah that's the dream, I just think as fans we do focus on this superstar striker a bit too much at times.

Kinda lowkey happy with Collins, don't think he's anywhere near as bad as some make out. 

Doesn't help himself win fans over with his Roy Keane style grumpy persona, I look at it as frustration and which I get, guy wants to win.

I really don't get the haters - Collins works his socks off and if we can set up the team so that he spends more time in the 18-yard box rather than running the channels, he'll almost certainly score more goals - if anyone watched Man City last season, that's exactly what they did with the big lad up front and it didn't do his scoring stats any harm.....

42 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

I disagree - I think it’s people just being reasonable about a forward who has a track record of scoring goals at this level. He’s a goalscorer - not a playmaker - and I’m sure if you asked him he’d tell you the same. I think the fact he took 9 games to get going last season meant a lot of people wrote him off - and then he was being unfairly compared with DM. 

Would I also like another forward with explosive pace and power - Yes - but that’s in addition to, not instead of Collins.

He missed a big chance at Charlton first away game and I still say had he scored that we would’ve seen a more confident Collins 

his goal at Matlock was what the type of goal we will see more of this season he’s still a good L1 striker 

1 hour ago, The_Sheriff said:

11 was nothing to be sniffed at so its frustrating he is abit of a scapegoat.  I like him but realistically hes another year past his prime and if we are lucky we may get 15 from him.

Hopefully i am wrong and he hits 20 but would still be happy with 15!

Definitely realistic with better service. As for 20+ I’d be happy to be pleasantly surprised but not expecting it.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

isn't fast, can't dribble and can't really pass either.

whilst we’re at it despite his height nor can he head the ball, tho he has a good trick where he does a dummy header, then the ball hits the defender and goes in.  Funny thing about his pace is that when pressing and tracking back he is pretty fast but as soon as he gets the pesky ball thingy, he hits the slo-mo

However he does work like a Trojan and I’d argue he had the purest scoring strike of last season (yes, better than Bird’s worldie). Bristol Rovers maybe, PP - at inside right just inside the box he larruped a firm square ball from the left with his right foot and absolutely buried it. It almost burst the net (but sadly didn’t open the floodgates for him) 

I don’t think he’ll score 20 but it may be that when not blinded by Didzie’s brilliance he will be better. 

Edited by kevinhectoring

55 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I really don't get the haters - Collins works his socks off and if we can set up the team so that he spends more time in the 18-yard box rather than running the channels, he'll almost certainly score more goals - if anyone watched Man City last season, that's exactly what they did with the big lad up front and it didn't do his scoring stats any harm.....

dunno, without knight, collins’ endless running might add more to the mix than his presence in the box. In Warne’s Spanish interview he used the words ‘press’ and ‘pressing’ about 170 times. If an organised press is going to be a big feature of our season, then Collins may have a lot to contribute out of the box. Makes you breathless just thinking about it …

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Spot on...

Screenshot_20230711-140846_Twitter.jpg

Absolutely agree - last season our overall general play and build up play was designed specifically for the attributes of McGoldrick’s, because our lack of squad depth meant we couldn’t play any differently. Also our piss poor crossing, corner and free kick quality had a huge negative and impact on the number of goals we scored. Warne sees this, I see this - it’s obvious that our game plan and specific abilities played to Collins strengths. Warne has addressed that in acquiring players who can put quality crosses in to the dangerous situations that Collins will excel at or feed other supporting players. 
I’m looking forward to asking people to request a big slice of humble pie !!! 🤗🐏

I think we can expect a more direct, more frantic, higher no. of crosses next season, in addition to more focus on set pieces. All of this plays to his strengths, so you'd expect him to be 15+ regardless of whether he is the no.1 striker.

I don't think it'll be a season for the total football purists but I do think we'll see more chances created and more goals scored.