James Collins

Keepyuppy

On 18/07/2023 at 18:38, Rich3478 said:

Yeah and you could also tell was a good footballer. Had a great touch, held the ball up etc. 

collins had a dry spell to start, then just as warne joined actually looked decent for a few weeks. Was then very poor until the end of the season. And this was reflected by playing less and less minutes. 

Collins hasnt won me over yet but totally happy for him to replace Bobby D in my affections. However to be fair to him the standard of our passing/crossing into the box was abysmal last season, being polite. He always worked hard which other players got more credit for. Think he was so desperate to do well, it may have affected his play. Also think that with Sibley - as a Rams fan he is almost too desperate to do well 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Just like your Martin comments. 😄

Not at all. I gave him lots of credit for his time at Derby, we're 10 years on from that season now and moved on.

Feel free to check, you won't find me talking bad about any goal scorer we have whilst at the club.

Just now, David said:

Not at all. I gave him lots of credit for his time at Derby, we're 10 years on from that season now and moved on.

Feel free to check, you won't find me talking bad about any goal scorer we have whilst at the club.

Martin's still a better player now than Collins. I've given Collins goals credit - hope if he is picked to play, he scores shedloads. He's still a naff footballer and makes Waggy look talented! 😄

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Martin's still a better player now than Collins. I've given Collins goals credit - hope if he is picked to play, he scores shedloads. He's still a naff footballer and makes Waggy look talented! 😄

Martin's talents regardless where you stand with him is irrelevant to us now, Collins is the here and now. Sure he has his limitations, like many League 1 strikers.

Still hit double figures and our 2nd top goalscorer last season.

We have nothing to gain by s******* on the guy at every given opportunity.

1 minute ago, David said:

Martin's talents regardless where you stand with him is irrelevant to us now, Collins is the here and now. Sure he has his limitations, like many League 1 strikers.

Still hit double figures and our 2nd top goalscorer last season.

We have nothing to gain by s******* on the guy at every given opportunity.

Unless he reads this forum he's not likely to notice and even if he does read this forum I expect he doesn't care about my opinion. I can only speak for my own posts in this case and he's a poor footballer who brings little to the squad, but if he scores a shedload of goals then he's earning his money. 😄

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Unless he reads this forum he's not likely to notice and even if he does read this forum I expect he doesn't care about my opinion. I can only speak for my own posts in this case and he's a poor footballer who brings little to the squad, but if he scores a shedload of goals then he's earning his money. 😄

Whilst he perhaps wouldn't care about individual opinions, good or bad, negativity is contagious on all online platforms which can be taken into the stands.

Players will also be aware of the general "mood" as it's fed back through teammates, friends, family or reading themselves.

You will see them using their celebrations to cup ears or place a finger to the lips when they haven't received much attention in the stands, even make snarky comments in post match interviews.

It's natural for young lads to want to know what people think of them, even Robbie Savage admitted to posting on forums (not this one) to praise himself.

New season, the managers first window to figure out what he needs to get service to Collins who has 2 now in pre season.

Just think it would be nice to give the lad a clean slate, last seasons squad was a grab what we could to get 11 out on the pitch.

If Warne is happy for Collins to spearhead the attack, you would assume that service would be high on the agenda.

You do you though if it makes you feel better, nowt wrong with voicing your opinion as I have just now to you.

How to people think he compares to Leigh Gregory? Played 38 times in weds promotion campaign, scored 10.  When on loan with us he didn't seem to have any particular strengths outside of the box or be that strong in the air, but that may not be accurate. Gregory is taller, but similarly seemed to lack pace. 

Collins frustrates me, but I suppose my point is that he's decent enough to be in our squad at this level and I hope he thrives in the new set up as many predict.

14 minutes ago, David said:

If Warne is happy for Collins to spearhead the attack, you would assume that service would be high on the agenda.

You do you though if it makes you feel better, nowt wrong with voicing your opinion as I have just now to you.

The game's about getting the team promoted. If Warne thinks Collins is good enough to lead the line so be it, doesn't mean I have to rate Collins just as I understand some people don't rate Warne. And yes it makes me feel better posting on here my opinion on Collins as a footballer.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The game's about getting the team promoted. If Warne thinks Collins is good enough to lead the line so be it, doesn't mean I have to rate Collins just as I understand some people don't rate Warne. And yes it makes me feel better posting on here my opinion on Collins as a footballer.

I think most folk now know your opinion - any chance you can give it a rest for a while?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Any chance you could just block me then I won't have to bother replying to you.

Surprising as it may be, occassionally I do actually 'enjoy' (might be a bit strong) some of your posts so I'm reluctant to block you completely just because you're determined to  be a pillock in this case.....(by the way, you don't have to reply to me, just stop repeating (and repeating and repeating) your opinion of Collins....)

5 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Surprising as it may be, occassionally I do actually 'enjoy' (might be a bit strong) some of your posts so I'm reluctant to block you completely just because you're determined to  be a pillock in this case.....(by the way, you don't have to reply to me, just stop repeating (and repeating and repeating) your opinion of Collins....)

There was a game last night which I watched - how to comment on it without mentioning Collins?

Oh and I was tagged in this thread this morning, and have just been replying because I think it is rude not to acknowledge some things. 

Watch a game on telly and you may not think much of Collins.

Watch Collins live and you'll see someone who gives his all and makes loads of very decent runs that generally don't get noticed by team mates. He may have the odd strop when he doesn't get played in but it doesn't stop him making those runs.

With Joe Ward's crossing, someone half as good at LWB and possibly Bird or Hourihane playing more advanced, I think he'll bag 20+ this year.

Delighted he scored last night.

I watched it live but saw the highlights when I got back.

Here's a freeze frame BEFORE Joe Ward receives the ball.

The player with his arm in the air is the 'useless, unintelligent, lazy etc etc' Collins.......halfway through a 40 yard run, anticipating play, showing where he wants the ball........towards the end of a pre-season friendly 'that doesn't matter'. How many times does he do this and not get the delivery?

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 10.16.42.png

1 hour ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Watch a game on telly and you may not think much of Collins.

Watch Collins live and you'll see someone who gives his all and makes loads of very decent runs that generally don't get noticed by team mates. He may have the odd strop when he doesn't get played in but it doesn't stop him making those runs.

With Joe Ward's crossing, someone half as good at LWB and possibly Bird or Hourihane playing more advanced, I think he'll bag 20+ this year.

Delighted he scored last night.

I watched it live but saw the highlights when I got back.

Here's a freeze frame BEFORE Joe Ward receives the ball.

The player with his arm in the air is the 'useless, unintelligent, lazy etc etc' Collins.......halfway through a 40 yard run, anticipating play, showing where he wants the ball........towards the end of a pre-season friendly 'that doesn't matter'. How many times does he do this and not get the delivery?

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 10.16.42.png

I do so agree with this, Collins is one of the hardest working players on the pitch. I'm willing him to do well.

I think we'll eventually see him dropping out wide less and less as the other parts of the team start to get their act together.

Bearing in mind that Ward didn't travel to Spain, Tommo is filling in at wing back,  Mendez-Laing has missed a lot of pre-season whilst abroad, and two wingbacks aren't currently fit, Collins - and indeed any other striker -  can look forward to much better service in a few games' time than he's had so far.

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

I do so agree with this, Collins is one of the hardest working players on the pitch. I'm willing him to do well.

I think we'll eventually see him dropping out wide less and less as the other parts of the team start to get their act together.

Bearing in mind that Ward didn't travel to Spain, Tommo is filling in at wing back,  Mendez-Laing has missed a lot of pre-season whilst abroad, and two wingbacks aren't currently fit, Collins - and indeed any other striker -  can look forward to much better service in a few games' time than he's had so far.

Careful Angie, optimism is largely frowned upon by some on here😂