Conor Washington - signed on a two-year-deal

Animal is a Ram

5 hours ago, DJAY said:

Also:

"but Washington didn't play in enough games to activate the clause that would have swelled the coffers at AESSEAL New York Stadium. The Millers will still be in the money as long as the Northern Ireland international reaches a certain number of appearances next term."

Another reason to probably let him go this summer, even if it's out on loan.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

Also:

"but Washington didn't play in enough games to activate the clause that would have swelled the coffers at AESSEAL New York Stadium. The Millers will still be in the money as long as the Northern Ireland international reaches a certain number of appearances next term."

Another reason to probably let him go this summer, even if it's out on loan.

One of those you'd let him go on a free if you could find a taker for his wages.

19 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

You’d be surprised, has a decent CV and works hard + didn’t look that awful in October before his injury.

He has 18 goals in over 150 championship appearances, granted as with any stat some of them will have been as a sub.  Most were 8- 9 years ago and even then it was 1 in 7.  Shift his wages and look for better 

5 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

You’d be surprised, has a decent CV and works hard + didn’t look that awful in October before his injury.

Fair expectation of any club signing a potential goalscorer is that they either score - or at least make - goals. Washington isn't that - either for Derby or elsewhere.

56 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Fair expectation of any club signing a potential goalscorer is that they either score - or at least make - goals. Washington isn't that - either for Derby or elsewhere.

Don’t think any club will be buying him to be a goalscorer tbf, but I do think mid table league one clubs would take him.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

As I posted elsewhere, his contributions per minute played (goals + assists) are higher than Mendez-Laing, so to say he hasn't contributed is factually nonsense. As recently as Wycombe away, he set up two massive chances for NML and CBT and it wasn't really his fault that they weren't converted.

That said, he won't be good enough for Championship level and moving him on would be best all round, but please don't try to tell me he hasn't contributed.

Edited by Crewton

This is complete speculation but I wonder if his knee is gone after what Warne said about him aggravating it a few times. If it’s cartilage, it will be hard to come back from.

I thought the same with Hourihane all season. It looks like running hurts for him. 

Mad that players can be so dynamic and fit at 28 and then four years later look like old men jogging around 

11 hours ago, Crewton said:

As I posted elsewhere, his contributions per minute played (goals + assists) are higher than Mendez-Laing, so to say he hasn't contributed is factually nonsense. As recently as Wycombe away, he set up two massive chances for NML and CBT and it wasn't really his fault that they weren't converted.

That said, he won't be good enough for Championship level and moving him on would be best all round, but please don't try to tell me he hasn't contributed.

Read my post again, actually taking in the words this time, and you will see I haven't.

Warne is obviously a long time fan, but do kind of think it was one of those signings we had to resort to last summer. A bit of a gamble but on a known quantity, on appropriate terms, and with the hope he could maybe reignite his career and make an impact, or at least provide options. 

Bearing in mind we get 9 subs next year that may or may not help his case. I can see Warne using him off the bench quite regularly, but we'll likely have enough forwards for there to be an orthodox player for each position and a plan b on there. 

Be nice if we could squeeze 1 or 2 kids on rather than filling it with older players. 

Kind of feels like it's him v Barkz or Gayle for a squad spot and at least those 2 are able to be released which might make the difference.

If not I wouldn't be surprised if a top half league one side loaned him, they wouldn't have the same obligations and could simh terminate the deal if he was injured. 

Weird one this. Decent league one player when fit, but probably surplus to requirements in the Championship.

However he’s the only striker on out books that has a definite contract for next season. 

Assuming Waggy gets released, that’s Washington and maybe Collins/Gayle still on the books. 

We definitely need more quality in that area, preferably two players better than what we have. 

Will Washington’s contract stop us renewing one of Gayle/Collins?

I can see him being used in a swap deal he'd do a job for a L1 team played regularly. Warne is a fan though so maybe gives him a pre season to prove himself we shall see.