Conor Washington - signed on a two-year-deal

Animal is a Ram

On 15/01/2024 at 07:11, MaltRam said:

Done well for us when he's played, IMO.

I honestly don’t think we have seen enough of  him yet to really judge- particularly as a starter. He was just starting to get in his stride when he got injured.

But at this point- and with an eye on where we are now and for the rest of the season - I would rather have him fit and available ( same for Waggy) than signing an extension for JJ.

Much better foil for Collo.

15 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

OK Wolfie I'll explain myself to you, and the 6 people that agree with you

Washington is 31 years old. He has had 9 clubs, and not played more that 100 league games for any of them. His most prolific period as a striker was for for St Ives town (you know the little place in Cornwall where they paint pictures) where he scored 85 goals in 102 appearances. If we just look at division 1, which is where we have signed him to play, he scored 33 goals in 94 games for Peterborough seasons 2013-2016 when he would have been between the ages of 21 to 24 ish. Now THAT Conor Washington would have been a good signing. However since then he has scored 45 goals in 228 appearances so 1 in 5

He is a bargain bucket, short term signing like far too many. He is an ageing player who has never been great, as his stats show and like Waghorn is very likely to pick up injuries like he has and Waghorn has. As an ageing player he is going downhill now, he's not somebody we can build any sort of future around.  We desperately need to be recruiting some 21 year old Conor Washington types from places like St Ives Town or maybe, heaven forbid, being even being a bit more ambitious than the likes of Peterborough - given that we probably have 3 times their support base - and going a bit higher up the food chain than that  

Maybe just don't resort to referring to him using insulting terms such as 'nothing player'... Nobody is asking you to be happy with who we sign, and you're entitled to criticism, but flippant, reductionist phrases like that are always going to wind people up. He's had a decent career, primarily playing in the second tier of English football. However you dress it up, he isn't a ''nothing player''; use your words better.

17 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Washington is 31 years old. He has had 9 clubs, and not played more that 100 league games for any of them. His most prolific period as a striker was for for St Ives town (you know the little place in Cornwall where they paint pictures) where he scored 85 goals in 102 appearances. If we just look at division 1, which is where we have signed him to play, he scored 33 goals in 94 games for Peterborough seasons 2013-2016 when he would have been between the ages of 21 to 24 ish. Now THAT Conor Washington would have been a good signing. However since then he has scored 45 goals in 228 appearances so 1 in 5

He is a bargain bucket, short term signing like far too many. He is an ageing player who has never been great, as his stats show and like Waghorn is very likely to pick up injuries like he has and Waghorn has. As an ageing player he is going downhill now, he's not somebody we can build any sort of future around.  We desperately need to be recruiting some 21 year old Conor Washington types from places like St Ives Town or maybe, heaven forbid, being even being a bit more ambitious than the likes of Peterborough - given that we probably have 3 times their support base - and going a bit higher up the food chain than that  

That’s a very reasonable and cogent argument- which recognises that he has been OK and might now be past his best. Also that he is the kind of signing we’re probably restricted to at the moment (21 yr old Washingtons being a bit expensive unless we have great scouts picking then from non/lower league).  I  think calling him a “nothing player” without the qualification comes across as a tad harsh in these circumstances. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Maybe just don't resort to referring to him using insulting terms such as 'nothing player'... Nobody is asking you to be happy with who we sign, and you're entitled to criticism, but flippant, reductionist phrases like that are always going to wind people up. He's had a decent career, primarily playing in the second tier of English football. However you dress it up, he isn't a ''nothing player''; use your words better.

You probably haven't seen as many good players at Derby as I have and are more easily pleased. OK he's not a nothing player he's a mediocre player 

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

I have literally signed back into my account for the first time in 5 years or so to tell you this is wrong, thus emphasizing how ridiculous the rest of this post is. 

St Ives town are based in St Ives, Cambridgeshire, which you might have realised had you not been so desperate to slag him off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Ives_Town_F.C.

His last season in League 1 was 2021/22 season, so a couple of seasons ago where he scored 11 in 35 which is respectable enough (Collins scored 11 in 42 last season) for someone we signed on a free.

If he was a goal machine he would either be playing at a higher level or command a fee that we are currently unable to afford. Besides goals, he has a good work rate and has contributed to the teams success (when fit) in other ways that Opta and x.G don't/can't quantify. 

A decent chunk of our fan base (and I guess football fans in general) have such a reductive view on attacking players' attributes which rarely extends past their ability to score or create goals. This is rightly the best metric when comparing the best players in the world, which I will concede Washington is not, but he brings other qualities to the team which are of value and contribute to our success - along with chipping in with the odd goal here and there. 

So far this season he has registered 3 goals and 2 assists in 13 league games (497 mins) which equates roughly to a goal contribution every 100 minutes, which I will gladly accept for someone we signed for nothing. 

15 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

You probably haven't seen as many good players at Derby as I have and are more easily pleased. OK he's not a nothing player he's a mediocre player 

You're probably right, however I like to remember footballers are human beings and don't like to insult them unnecessarily.

This isn't 1972 where we're the best club in the country, this is 2023 where we're in the 3rd tier after exiting admin and aren't financially loaded. Any player that comes here and genuinely grafts has my respect, gone are the days of giving out huge contracts with players like Anya simply here to pick up a wage.

Washington, from what i've seen, tries hard and does his best. I'm not going to sit here and write flippant comments that completely dismiss him when he's had a respectable career in the game and is currently contributing to a squad trying to get us promoted. Just don't think he's done anything here to warrant being called 'nothing' or 'mediocre'...

The facts are we signed an aging striker on a free from a struggling Championship club. Unless a miracle happened, ala McGoldrick, which you can never rely on, he was always going to be a squad filler as we look to sign a young high potential player.

So far this season, he's had 14 league appearances of which 6 starts, averaging 35 minutes per appearance. He's got 3 goals and 2 assists. We have 20 games left, let's say he's fit enough for half of them, scores another couple of goals, maybe another couple assists. He could achieve 9-10 goal contributions in 25ish games. For a squad filler, on a free transfer, that's decent enough business for me.

Is it the future? No. Does it do a adequate enough job for us now as a squad/bench player? Yes for me.

12 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

The facts are we signed an aging striker on a free from a struggling Championship club. Unless a miracle happened, ala McGoldrick, which you can never rely on, he was always going to be a squad filler as we look to sign a young high potential player.

The way it's presented by some it's almost as if we had to 'settle' for signing Washington.

...but he was signed by our current manager for that very 'struggling Championship clu' with the aim of building a team capable of staying up, so surely he's seen as (and should be capable of being) more than a 'squad fiiller' at this level?

Christ I don't know why it took me so many edits to word that how I wanted.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

2 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

...but he was signed by our current manager for that very 'struggling Championship club with the aim of building a team capable of staying up, so surely he 's seen as, and should be, capable of more than being a 'squad fiiller' at this level?

Most likely so, however, as a free transfer and being over 30 high expectations need to be tempered.

14 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

The facts are we signed an aging striker on a free from a struggling Championship club. 

Not quite as factual as you think. He cost us nothing upfront (excluding agent fees, signing on bonuses, etc...), but will cost us dependant on clauses. The club statement read "undisclosed agreement", whilst suggestions around the time were a fee being due upon promotion.

2 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

The way it's presented by some it's almost as if we had to 'settle' for signing Washington.

...but he was signed by our current manager for that very 'struggling Championship clu' with the aim of building a team capable of staying up, so surely he's seen as (and should be capable of being) more than a 'squad fiiller' at this level?

Christ I don't know why it took me so many edits to word that how I wanted.

...and still can't spell club 😜

Well I don’t know that much but he looked pretty good to me and if fit I’d be very pleased to have him in our current match day squad. He’s got pace, strength and a reasonable scoring record. He looked powerful and put the wind up CB’s 

Yes he’s getting on a bit, his injuries have been sad for him and disappointing for us but we are currently a 3rd tier club so given the pros, cons and this present status what exactly do people expect ? 

Hope he’s fit soon and will be there to help us get over the line. 

• 3 months later...
On 17/01/2024 at 15:40, Ghost of Clough said:

Not quite as factual as you think. He cost us nothing upfront (excluding agent fees, signing on bonuses, etc...), but will cost us dependant on clauses. The club statement read "undisclosed agreement", whilst suggestions around the time were a fee being due upon promotion.

Saw mention of this on the Rotherham Forum today - now we are promoted, their fans are wondering how much Rotherham will get paid ?