Derby vs Ipswich (H) Match Thread

Comrade 86

2 minutes ago, PrideParkhead said:

He's made history today. First ever Derby manager to lose 3 consecutive League games in the third tier of English football in 140 years. Get the blue plaque up 

"First ever" and "in 140 years" - one of them is unnecessary. 

Just watching the replay of their second goal, it come from an awful half hearted aerial challenge from Barkhuizen, in which he lost his battle that then leads to the break and Cash getting skinned. Barkz again did nothing when he came on, apart from contribute to their second goal. 

51 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Once you dislike someone you just pick pick pick.....If he didn't change things you'd moan ...when he does change things....guess what?? You moan!

You carry on picking on me, I don't give a damn.

Don't know if you'd noticed but most Derby fans, don't moan when we win.

11 minutes ago, PrideParkhead said:

Time for bobblehat to go on gardening leave. Embarrassing that he's our manager. Get Nathan Jones in. He's used to plying his trade at this level with no money & at least trys to play football

Yea but….the nasty EFL are awful…but let’s blame Warne but……yea, but….then there was that there awful ref…..yea, but…..let’s bring in another Manager who did 💩 in his last 2 jobs, yea, but….let’s give another Manager less than a season…..yea, but….that makes sense…..😁

Strange game.

Started off badly, then improved and ran the game for a good while but lacked cutting edge in the final third.

Cashin’s disallowed goal was the big turning point and shows the fine margins in this division. It should have been allowed and we’d have been in the ascendancy.

But it wasn’t and we fell apart, with the subs failing to have any impact on the game.

Ipswich are clearly further along in their building process than us. The positive is that we played well for a good period of the game.

4 minutes ago, PrideParkhead said:

He's made history today. First ever Derby manager to lose 3 consecutive League games in the third tier of English football in 140 years. Get the blue plaque up 

And earlier in the season he had us on a lengthy unbeaten run.
Our form at the moment is bad, we were never going to have it all our own way this season. Losing to Ipswich, who are one of the better sides in this division after having time (and money) to build and shape their squad.

Getting rid of Warne at this point would just be more of the short-termism that has plagued the club in the past, we have to be a bit braver in sticking to a project and Clowes seems keen to do that with Warne as the manager.
If we don’t go up this season it won’t be the end of the world, as rubbish as it might feel. Warne and the backroom staff are planning and recruiting for next season, we will start next season (whichever league we’re in) with a more balanced squad set to play the way Warne wants. 
We, as fans, could try a different approach too. By all means say how rubbish it is at the moment but then without the need for shortsighted knee jerk tantrums. 

6 minutes ago, PrideParkhead said:

Bearing in mind the situation in which he took over this team... 21 points docked...best players gone... only 5/6 original team players left...the club almost disappeared... huge debts. He's done well! 🥰

Ipswich were deserved winners.

They have such a good balance for this league - pace, power, physicality, height, tenacity, a command of the dark arts, but also the capability of playing some good, fast, attacking football.

They are what Rotherham under Warne might have been if he’d had a bigger budget.

I can understand the disappointment. It’s an awful run we’re on. But I don’t think there’s much point digging into Warne or the team.

We are evidently still a work in progress.

Edited by Jourdan

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

They have such a good balance for this league - pace, power, physicality, height, tenacity, a command of the dark arts, but also the capability of playing some good, fast, attacking football.

They are what Rotherham under Warne might have been if he had a bigger budget.

I can’t understand the disappointment. It’s an awful run we’re on. But I don’t think there’s much point digging into Warne or the team.

Shall we all blame the ref and give Warney a night off 😁

Well that was quite an ill-tempered match. Lots of ugly challenges and timewasting throughout. 

I was shocked to see Warne go to the 3 at the back today as it didn't work against us at Portman Road and his fortunes seemed to improve when he ditched it back in November. Not a lot changed when he made the switch today, but had he played a different system at the start, I wonder if Derby would have settled into the game better.

We started really well and the movement for Chaplin's goal was sublime. We didn't really capitalise beyond that though and Mendez-Laing clearly had the beating of Greg Leigh whenever he took him on. McGoldrick definitely should have done better with that header and I was happy we went into half-time still ahead.

I've only seen one replay of the disallowed goal but it looked harsh and there's every chance the game could have turned had it been given so it's a big what if. The referee was really poor, he lost control of the game and his decisions with yellow cards were very inconsistent. I'd be surprised if he gets given any of the important games in the run-in because even by League One standards, he was bad and couldn't get a grip on things.

I thought overall we dominated the game and took our chances well, neither team had too many clear cut opportunities but we did enough. The Cashin goal will understandably be the big talking point because it seemed to drain Derby's confidence thereafter.

There's still a long way to go though, most of the top 8 teams are either on amazing or awful runs of form which surely can't sustain itself for another month. As you probably know, Warne's Rotherham team went through some incredibly patchy spells either side of their winning runs. 

Good luck for the rest of the season and maybe see you in the playoffs. Although hopefully not, in the nicest way possible!

Edited by EFL View

At least we went for 90 mins this week but the difference in quality was night and day. Ipswich quicker in every department, pass the ball to feet and defended from the front right until the last minute. An example of what we should be aspiring to, but we’re a mile and off with the current personnel and would get embarrassed in the POs. Subs added nothing. 

Just now, Jourdan said:

They are what Rotherham under Warne might have been if he had a bigger budget.

I can’t understand the disappointment. It’s an awful run we’re on. But I don’t think there’s much point digging into Warne or the team.

I agree with everything you just wrote except the bit in bold!

It's frustrating/disappointing that we didn't (and don't) have an answer, although for 15-20 minutes or so we were pretty good, and we haven't been able to say that much in recent games. It's also disappointing that the quality of refereeing is a lottery, and that even the good teams resort to gamesmanship ("command of the dark arts" as you put it) and get away with it, especially when it's against us!

But yes, although I hesitate to use the word "progress", we are definitely a work in development.

I think prior to the match the majority of us feared the worst. It's a bonus that the chasing pack haven't fully capitalised. With some winnable games on the horizon we can get our season back on track. 

Time to count our blessings that things could look a lot worse tonight. We have to believe we can turn this slump around. Still all to play for. 

Tbf I don't think Warne could have picked a side today with a reasonable chance of winning the game.

The problems we face cannot be resolved till the summer. I can't see us winning another game other than against the bottom 6.

On the plus side, I've just eaten my lad's Easter Egg and it was very good.

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

They are what Rotherham under Warne might have been if he’d had a bigger budget.

I can understand the disappointment. It’s an awful run we’re on. But I don’t think there’s much point digging into Warne or the team.

Yeah I think it's Ipswich's 4th season in League 1 & first time finishing at least in the playoffs. I'd like to think we're going to mirror Sheffield Weds 2 seasons here but I think it'll be more like Ipswich!