Derby vs Ipswich (H) Match Thread

Comrade 86

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Shall we all blame the ref and give Warney a night off 😁

I just think we came up against a better, more balanced team today and a team who are flying and full of confidence. No shame in that.

I look at the next six games and believe this is where Warne will be judged.

We’re out of the top six on goal difference. If we can’t salvage the season from here, then serious questions would have to be asked.

6 minutes ago, EFL View said:

Well that was quite an ill-tempered match. Lots of ugly challenges and timewasting throughout. 

I was shocked to see Warne go to the 3 at the back today as it didn't work against us at Portman Road and his fortunes seemed to improve when he ditched it back in November. Not a lot changed when he made the switch today, but had he played a different system at the start, I wonder if Derby would have settled into the game better.

We started really well and the movement for Chaplin's goal was sublime. We didn't really capitalise beyond that though and Mendez-Laing clearly had the beating of Greg Leigh whenever he took him on. McGoldrick definitely should have done better with that header and I was happy we went into half-time still ahead.

I've only seen one replay of the disallowed goal but it looked harsh and there's every chance the game could have turned had it been given so it's a big what if. The referee was really poor, he lost control of the game and his decisions with yellow cards were very inconsistent. I'd be surprised if he gets given any of the important games in the run-in because even by League One standards, he was bad and couldn't get a grip on things.

I thought overall we dominated the game and took our chances well, neither team had too many clear cut opportunities but we did enough. The Cashin goal will understandably be the big talking point because it seemed to drain Derby's confidence thereafter.

There's still a long way to go though, most of the top 8 teams are either on amazing or awful runs of form which surely can't sustain itself for another month. As you probably know, Warne's Rotherham team went through some incredibly patchy spells either side of their winning runs. 

Good luck for the rest of the season and maybe see you in the playoffs. Although hopefully not, in the nicest way possible!

Hope you and Wednesday go up automatically. I think the thinness of our squad is proving costly. We can’t spend 1 mill on players like you. Think we will just miss out. My first ever 🐏 game was away at Ipswich in 1976, we were Champions, won 6-2 and saw Frannie Lee play his last ever game 😁👍

3 minutes ago, EFL View said:

"Well that was quite an ill-tempered match. Lots of ugly challenges and timewasting throughout. "

From Ipswich, yes! (We've forgotten what it's like to be in front but we don't do the timewasting thing)

"Mendez-Laing clearly had the beating of Greg Leigh whenever he took him on."

Not sure I saw it the same way... it wasn't one of NML's worst games in recent times but when he did get a yard he seldom did anything useful with it.

"I've only seen one replay of the disallowed goal but it looked harsh and there's every chance the game could have turned had it been given so it's a big what if."

Yes, it was very harsh. Any idea why the ref pointed to the centre-circle?

"The referee was really poor, he lost control of the game and his decisions with yellow cards were very inconsistent. I'd be surprised if he gets given any of the important games in the run-in because even by League One standards, he was bad and couldn't get a grip on things."

In my opinion he's not the worst we've had, but he'd make the top 3.

"I thought overall we dominated the game and took our chances well"

You dominated the start and were definitely the better in the second half, but we did give up somewhere between Cashin's disallowed goal and your second one. If I can bear to watch it again I might try to work out why Wildsmith was sort-of-challenging your scorer while our two centre halves ambled to the line to get a better view of the shot going in.

"Good luck for the rest of the season and maybe see you in the playoffs. Although hopefully not, in the nicest way possible!"

In the nicest possible way and nothing personal to you, I hope you don't go up. We've played Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley and Peterborough and I don't remember any gamesmanship from any of them (albeit Barnsley tried to kick us off the pitch), and cheating and bad refereeing have been two of the most annoying features of League One football for me.

You're a slick outfit and I can't argue with 7 wins on the spin and no goals conceded (if I've got that right) so congrats for that and on the win today.

6 minutes ago, EFL View said:

Well that was quite an ill-tempered match. Lots of ugly challenges and timewasting throughout. 

I was shocked to see Warne go to the 3 at the back today as it didn't work against us at Portman Road and his fortunes seemed to improve when he ditched it back in November. Not a lot changed when he made the switch today, but had he played a different system at the start, I wonder if Derby would have settled into the game better.

We started really well and the movement for Chaplin's goal was sublime. We didn't really capitalise beyond that though and Mendez-Laing clearly had the beating of Greg Leigh whenever he took him on. McGoldrick definitely should have done better with that header and I was happy we went into half-time still ahead.

I've only seen one replay of the disallowed goal but it looked harsh and there's every chance the game could have turned had it been given so it's a big what if. The referee was really poor, he lost control of the game and his decisions with yellow cards were very inconsistent. I'd be surprised if he gets given any of the important games in the run-in because even by League One standards, he was bad and couldn't get a grip on things.

I thought overall we dominated the game and took our chances well, neither team had too many clear cut opportunities but we did enough. The Cashin goal will understandably be the big talking point because it seemed to drain Derby's confidence thereafter.

There's still a long way to go though, most of the top 8 teams are either on amazing or awful runs of form which surely can't sustain itself for another month. As you probably know, Warne's Rotherham team went through some incredibly patchy spells either side of their winning runs. 

Good luck for the rest of the season and maybe see you in the playoffs. Although hopefully not, in the nicest way possible!

That just about sums it up. I think Ipswich will go up automatically. I don’t know why they had to continually time waste that’s all you players got booked for. 
In the first half when we were getting on top the goalie signalled to slow things down and two Ipswich players went down with head injuries while the ball was out of play.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I just think we came up against a better, more balanced team today and a team who are flying and full of confidence. No shame in that.

We’re out of the top six on goal difference. If we can’t salvage the season from here, then serious questions would have to be asked.

How do you explain the rest of thr poor run?

I'll be amazed if we finish top 6.

Can see us beating FGR, MK Don's and Burton maybe but struggling beyond that.

Serious questions were being asked the last few weeks. We already know most of the answers.

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Yet another week when you see the starting line up and can't see where the goals are coming from and are forced to ask why Warne doesn't try to use our creative, threatening players. From 2pm this game had Derby nil written all over it.

I think Warne felt the pressure of the run we’re on v the run Ipswich are on and tried to set up more conservatively.

It didn’t really work.

In terms of goal threat, I am not sure what you are expecting.

If McGoldrick isn’t on it, all of our other options are quite inconsistent. So there is no guarantee they’d have made a difference.

Not sure the radio Derby love for Ipswich? 2 decent breaks good first 15 mins rest of it was just lying down time wasting, hard to watch football like that, just cheating but being able to get away with it, horrid lot aswell. 

Thought we were better than the last few weeks just once again lacked the cutting edge.

the sarcastic cheer for Collins going off was embarrassing, the guy had no service and ran more than most players out their. 

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Shall we all blame the ref and give Warney a night off 😁

No…..

It was totally my bad!

I listened to the commentary for 17 minutes then turned off in disgust.

I didn’t switch on again until 1720.

So I’m to blame!

So there, I admit it, and I’m glad do you hear me glad!

So we can stop blaming February’s Manager of the Month, or posted topics.

We’re not going up this season.

(Actually the reason sits fairly and squarely with the EFL!)

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think Warne felt the pressure of the run we’re on v the run Ipswich are on and tried to set up more conservatively.

It didn’t really work.

In terms of goal threat, I am not sure what you are expecting.

If McGoldrick isn’t on it, all of our other options are quite inconsistent. So there is no guarantee they’d have made a difference.

If Warne picked Sibley as an attacking midfielder our goal threat would be consistently transformed. For once it's not rocket science.

18 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Genuine question jourdon, as i like ur posts and think u always give good reasoned points no matter ur if i agree or not

if we dont make the play offs .. then what?

would u want warne out? 

11 minutes ago, jameso said:

Haha fair enough for not wanting us to go up! I think it will all hinge on our away games at Barnsley and Peterborough. 

No idea about the goal, will have to watch it again but struggled to find a clear infringement at the time.

We were definitely guilty of timewasting throughout much of the game, especially second half. Not sure the lack of fair play was all one way though; the challenges from Rooney, Smith and McGoldrick (as much as I loved him at Town) were quite ugly and cynical. 

I missed the 2nd half due to setting up to film a boxing show.

First half we looked like we set up to play away to Man City. Gave them the ball and let them play, I understand wanting to look solid in shape, but I think we respected them a little too much. If you're in a game where the odds are against you, You go for the win.

How was the 2nd half? Did we go back to 4 at the back?

Any