Gary Lineker

Day

He wasn’t taking the moral high ground when he was shagging around behind his wife’s back. Also it is easy for him to say such things because on his £1m’s wages he probably doesn’t have to sit in A&E for 12 hours or apply for benefits to help put food on the table. The average working man will see these boats coming over and wonder is that what my taxes is going on. 
How many of these are genuine? If they are why aren’t they using the proper channels? What wrong with the 3 or 4 countries they have come through that are most likely in the “EU” if it’s so great.

Edited by Gritstone Ram

I don't really get it. The BBC decided it was fine to broadcast an expose of the Qatari government's violations of the human rights of migrant workers instead of broadcasting the opening ceremony of the World Cup last year, but Lineker raising concerns that our own government's policies violate the human rights of migrants on his own channels isn't fine? I can't really reconcile that.

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I made the point earlier, there is no difference in UK employment law in saying a comment in work time or outside of work if in either circumstances it contravenes the employers values or standards, or could be seen to compromise the integrity of the employer if it is easily linked back to them. 

Yes I know a lad who I work with put a photo on twitter showing a beach he was on while on holiday somewhere tropical. Someone commented that the company we worked for (naming it) must be paying him some good wages. He replied ‘I wish’, and our social media team picked it up informed our manager and he duly got a bollocking on his return. Over sensitive I thought.

20 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

You're absolutely right. No other big-name freelance presenters will touch it. It'll end up being some junior BBC salaried presenter who needs a job too much to say no.

HHhhmmm, They are talking the talk, But they have to walk the walk, No good just tomorrow they have to do it every Saturday, But they wont will they, They like the limelight and the wages, Once your off our screens your forgotten...erm didn't you used to do MOTD Eamon...is it Eamon.

People can be very fickle...viewing figures will be seen as a winner or loser for the Beeb 

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Is this what they mean by cancel culture? ?

They'll have to get Gary Neville in now I suppose... ?

If he was being cancelled, would have not had the platform where he made his comments, ie Twitter, removed?

All that has happened here is that he has not followed his employers guidelines and is being reprimanded. 

Not interested in his political views anyway, just want him gone because he is a complete waste of licence fee payers money.

£1.4m a year for a job they could pay someone £30k for and you'd not notice any difference. 

The thing is the Beeb have backed themselves into a corner here. Lineker won't apologise. So the options are to sack him or back down. 

Neither option looks great for the Beeb.

This incident is no so big that it will have been escalated to the BBC Chairman to manage - the man who helped arrange an £800,000 loan for the PM and who personally donated 400k (yes 400k!) to the Tory party. 

Edited by therealhantsram

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I made the point earlier, there is no difference in UK employment law in saying a comment in work time or outside of work if in either circumstances it contravenes the employers values or standards, or could be seen to compromise the integrity of the employer if it is easily linked back to them. 

Spot on - every organisation, publicly financed or commercial, will be interested in what their employees say inside or outside work, if what is said is detrimental to the organisation.  It's one of the reasons we have whistleblowing legislation, to protect the rights of workers to say something publicly about the organisation they work for if it's in the public interest to do so. 

That's not the same as limiting what employees might think, which is completely different.

Whether he likes it or not Lineker has previous.  He's pushed and pushed the BBC's management by expressing his own political views on social media over and over again, despite warnings.  The BBC (and by extension their employees) have to be seen to be as neutral from the Government of the day as they possibly can be and Lineker has made that harder and harder for them for some time. 

And it's not just the Tories either - Alistair Campbell was brutal to any journalist/media organisation that said anything critical of then Labour party policy.  They all seek to influence the media's output, all the time.

8 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Here's a random idea - let's just have a MOTD with just football.  No chat, no presenters, maybe no commentators either.  Just footie that we can make our own minds on what's good/bad, right or wrong.  You never know we might be able to have more actual football to fill the available time