Gary Lineker

Day

3 minutes ago, cstand said:

No presenters means more football highlights happy days.

Yes. 

I don't watch match of the day very often. I used to, years ago. 

Generally, I'd be more likely to watch it, if there was no presenter, and no pundits. No studio. Just highlights, and if required, a voice over person, saying which match is next etc. 

Aw, I might have watched if it was Alex Scott. 

I can't believe anyone gives a toss about who does these pundit segments. Back when I used to watch it, it would be on a Sunday morning and I'd fast forward "he'll be happy with that win" insight. 

I wonder how many people actually watch MOTD specifically as Lineker presents it.

Would be interested to see whoever they get for tomorrow's show the relative viewing figures. 

Hopefully won't be much of a difference so Beeb realise they are getting crap value for money out of Lineker and bin him anyway 

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I wonder how many people actually watch MOTD specifically as Lineker presents it.

Would be interested to see whoever they get for tomorrow's show the relative viewing figures. 

Hopefully won't be much of a difference so Beeb realise they are getting crap value for money out of Lineker and bin him anyway 

I don't watch it specifically because Lineker and his cronies are on it. I want to watch football not listen to their completely inane drivel.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Alan Sugar isnt employed by the BBC, he just appears in a show that airs on the BBC, absolutely no comparison to the Lineker situation. 

Lineker isn't employed directly either, he's a freelance contractor.

Would imagine there is still a difference though as Alan Sugar will have sold the show to the BBC. 

Lot of absolute ignorance on Twitter about Lineker being entitled to say what he wants outside of his job - or probably because it furthers the narrative they want to choose to progress. 

Read some very uninformed comments along the lines of if Lineker made the comments presenting MOTD then that would be wrong but as he's done then outside of work then there's nothing wrong with that. 

Shows a total ignorance of employment law. Lineker receives money from the BBC therefore he has a contract with them therefore they can reasonably insist he winds his neck in posting comments on social media which go against their impartiality stance.

Pretty clear and simple. Certain folks are making more of it than it warrants to have a sly dig at the Tory party- they need to get their heads out of their behinds. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Lineker isn't employed directly either, he's a freelance contractor.

Would imagine there is still a difference though as Alan Sugar will have sold the show to the BBC. 

He's receiving money from the BBC though ergo there is an employment contract in place. 

He can't take the money then say this doesn't then exist so he doesn't have to abide by his employers rules - by the very fact he is accepting the BBCs money there is also an implied contract that he also has to abide by their rules. 

21 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Well I for one won’t bother tuning into it tomorrow.  I think the whole thing stinks.  Especially when you think that supposed hardened journalists like Fiona Bruce & Laura Kussenberg have been giving The Tories an easy ride for years, and as for Andrew Neil… 

I bet all these bitter & twisted gammons, clutching at their pearls, demanding he was taken off the air, were dancing in the streets when he slotted in the equaliser against Germany at Italia 90.  Hypocrites…

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Alan Sugar isnt employed by the BBC, he just appears in a show that airs on the BBC, absolutely no comparison to the Lineker situation. 

Sir Alan Sugar has been a part of BBC programming for the best part of 20 years and heavily represented in its branding across the world.

If there is a difference in impartiality, representation and social media responsibility then it still shows the discrepancy of what one can do over the other.

Reading this  it’s getting worse for Lineker.

If he has used the comments about illegal migrants just to get back at his employers for not footing the bill for his legal defence to avoid paying taxes he deserves to hung dry.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/gary-lineker-tax-clash-bbc-paying-legal-fees-2201702

Edited by cstand