Gary Lineker

Day

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

He's receiving money from the BBC though ergo there is an employment contract in place. 

He can't take the money then say this doesn't then exist so he doesn't have to abide by his employers rules - by the very fact he is accepting the BBCs money there is also an implied contract that he also has to abide by their rules. 

You're right, but what he will have is a contract, hence my opening post, if he's broken it, bin him off. If not, let him crack on.

31 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I wonder how many people actually watch MOTD specifically as Lineker presents it.

Would be interested to see whoever they get for tomorrow's show the relative viewing figures. 

Hopefully won't be much of a difference so Beeb realise they are getting crap value for money out of Lineker and bin him anyway 

I'd wager viewing figures will be down tomorrow because there'll effectively be a boycott.

This made me laugh:-

Micah Richards says he won't be on MOTD

Match of the Day pundit Micah Richards is the latest to say he will not be appearing on tomorrow's programme.

"I was not due to be working on MOTD tomorrow, but if I was, I would find myself taking the same decision that @IanWright0 & @alanshearer have," he wrote on Twitter.

So he won't be appearing on tomorrow's MOTD even though he was never asked to anyway. 

Bit like when Jamie Carragher said he was retiring from international football after the current and previous England managers hadn't picked him for donkeys years.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Match of the Day pundit Micah Richards is the latest to say he will not be appearing on tomorrow's programme.

"I was not due to be working on MOTD tomorrow, but if I was, I would find myself taking the same decision that @IanWright0 & @alanshearer have," he wrote on Twitter.

So he won't be appearing on tomorrow's MOTD even though he was never asked to anyway. 

Bit like when Jamie Carragher said he was retiring from international football after the current and previous England managers hadn't picked him for donkeys years.

Not really, Micah Richards is on there and BBC Radio pretty regularly 

9 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

He's receiving money from the BBC though ergo there is an employment contract in place. 

He can't take the money then say this doesn't then exist so he doesn't have to abide by his employers rules - by the very fact he is accepting the BBCs money there is also an implied contract that he also has to abide by their rules. 

Does that mean I can insist the electrician I hired last week to do a job on my house doesn't talk politics down the pub in case people overhear him and think I endorse his beliefs? Ergo?

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

He'll have obviously been high on the list for their replacements though. 

6 minutes ago, David said:

You're right, but what he will have is a contract, hence my opening post, if he's broken it, bin him off. If not, let him crack on.

In employment law regardless of an individuals contract there will be bringing the company into disrepute charge to cover stuff like this. 

If you read all the Twitter stuff then the Beeb have already done this as Lineker is claiming that they have banned him from appearing on MOTD. 

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

He'll have obviously been high on the list for their replacements though. 

Yeah I'd have thought so too. He's on 5Live a lot and he's really good imho. Very funny. 

It would be a huge boost for his career I'd have thought, so takes a real moral conviction to turn any chance of jumping the queue down.  

Good for him. 

12 minutes ago, cstand said:

Reading this  it’s getting worse for Lineker.

If he has used the comments about illegal migrants just to get back at his employers for not footing the bill for his legal defence to avoid paying taxes he deserves to hung dry.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/gary-lineker-tax-clash-bbc-paying-legal-fees-2201702

Not so big on free speech now then?

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Not so big on free speech now then?

Please show me where I have complained about Gary Lineker this week before tonight?

I posted about him avoiding paying taxes what has that got to do with free speech?

He is rich enough to pay lawyers to know what he is allowed to say within the terms of his contract.

Edited by cstand

29 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Does that mean I can insist the electrician I hired last week to do a job on my house doesn't talk politics down the pub in case people overhear him and think I endorse his beliefs? Ergo?

No unless he signed a legally binding contract with you.

Edited by cstand

26 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yeah I'd have thought so too. He's on 5Live a lot and he's really good imho. Very funny. 

It would be a huge boost for his career I'd have thought, so takes a real moral conviction to turn any chance of jumping the queue down.  

Good for him. 

Tbf, I think it would probably take more conviction for him to say yes, simply because he'd get absolute pelters for it! He's taken the morally correct decision IMO though.

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

The very interesting point for me in this is that Gary Lineker is not employed by the BBC so you are bang on the money, unless it explicitly says in his contract that he is not allowed to express views on his personal account on certain topics I don't really know what they are trying to achieve. At the moment, with the release of this statement, the optics look really, really bad for the BBC.

Couple it with the announcement earlier in the day not to air an episode of the new David Attenborough documentary for fear it will cause a right wing backlash and the optics are seriously out of kilter.

Add to that the fact the chairman of the BBC made (to quote the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee) "serious errors of judgment" facilitating an £800k loan to a certain Boris Johnson and you have to conclude this is a question of national interest how our state broadcaster is acting in repeatadly flawed ways.

Has it been decided he wasn't employed by the BBC? Inland Revenue say differently. 

40 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Well I for one won’t bother tuning into it tomorrow.  I think the whole thing stinks.  Especially when you think that supposed hardened journalists like Fiona Bruce & Laura Kussenberg have been giving The Tories an easy ride for years, and as for Andrew Neil… 

I bet all these bitter & twisted gammons, clutching at their pearls, demanding he was taken off the air, were dancing in the streets when he slotted in the equaliser against Germany at Italia 90.  Hypocrites…

Not sure why celebrating him scoring for England but not liking his political views would make anyone a hypocrite?