Gary Lineker

Day

6 minutes ago, David said:

If anyone was to stop watching a football programme over one man's political views, wouldn't be a huge lost. Let's be honest, it would take a mass exodus to have any serious impact.

It's more about when the advertisers start to put pressure on them. Didn't you ban swearing on here because of advertisers? Were you just pandering to cancel culture?

2 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It's more about when the advertisers start to put pressure on them. Didn't you ban swearing on here because of advertisers? Were you just pandering to cancel culture?

Google's terms were not excessive swearing, so we made the decision to blanket ban from the start.

Advertisers do have too much power, needs to be a huge push back and remove some of that control they have now.

Let's not forget this is down to social media mass petitioning companies to distance themselves. Crazy world.

51 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Alex Scott it is then ?

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Its just the way she talks as well.
I could just listen to her all day everyday to everything she says. ?

Edited by cstand

1 hour ago, David said:

Without turning this into another left v right borefest, Gary Lineker is stepping back from his presenting duties on MOTD following the Nazi tweet.

I'm not entirely sure why there is so much controversy, comes down to this for me, if it's within his contract to abide by impartiality rules and refrain from taking sides on politic issues, that is a breach of contract, sack him.

If there is nothing in the contract preventing him, let the bloke crack on.

Many people face certain rules when it comes to social media, I know of two women that work within child services for North East Lincolnshire Council, they are not allowed to have profiles with their full names so have opted for first and middle names only. It's in the employment terms they agreed to.

I agree the other thing is if he had said it while presenting for the BBC that would be wrong but I’m sure he can say what he wants in his own time.

35 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

No offence but that's a weird thing to say as companies do have a right to understand what their employees are saying on social media if those comments can be linked back to the employer and would put the same employer in a bad light. 

There are many, many, employment cases where employees have been found to be fairly dismissed for doing exactly that. 

Personally I know of a guy whom I worked with whom was dismissed for making perceived racist comments on Facebook but they could be linked back to their employer as the person posted their employer name on their Facebook page. This was then passed onto their employer by a disgruntled Facebook member, disciplinary convened m summarily dismissed. 

That's a fair point. Of course no one wants to be associated with someone who would discriminate based solely on race, but "perceived racist" is worryingly vague to me. All of this is very subjective and what pushes me towards free speech absolutism is that often the people tasked with judging these cases don't seem to make very sensible decisions. Lineker's case is a great example. As much as I dislike the guy the fact that he's been stepped down from his job because he disagreed publicly with a government position is quite frightening.

2 hours ago, David said:

I'm not entirely sure why there is so much controversy, comes down to this for me, if it's within his contract to abide by impartiality rules and refrain from taking sides on politic issues, that is a breach of contract, sack him.

If there is nothing in the contract preventing him, let the bloke crack on.

It seems that straightforward to me too. Maybe we're missing something?

8 minutes ago, David said:

In all seriousness, whoever goes on MOTD to present and be a pundit will get hammered on social media tomorrow night now. 

This solidarity has guaranteed it.

You're absolutely right. No other big-name freelance presenters will touch it. It'll end up being some junior BBC salaried presenter who needs a job too much to say no.

4 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I agree the other thing is if he had said it while presenting for the BBC that would be wrong but I’m sure he can say what he wants in his own time.

I made the point earlier, there is no difference in UK employment law in saying a comment in work time or outside of work if in either circumstances it contravenes the employers values or standards, or could be seen to compromise the integrity of the employer if it is easily linked back to them. 

Edited by Tyler Durden