vs Oxford (a) 11th March 3pm KO

Derbados

Well we got away with one, today! It seems we have learned nothing from our previous few games in this poor run. We are still lumping the ball around hoping that on the odd occasion it will land near one of our own players. Oxford move the ball around very well, and in addition they are very good at ratting around, which we tend not to be, and that is the difference which gave them the bulk of the possession. They didn't give us a moment's breathing space, a situation we don't like and can't cope with on the whole. There are increasing cries for Derby to get the ball on the ground and play football with it, especially after the Plymouth game on Tuesday, and I would have thought that the expected reaction to that result would see us playing to our strengths. But no, hardly a sight of it, just kick it long and/or into the channels. Sadly Corey Smith was the worst culprit. We've been wanting him to be moved into midfield for weeks now, and he did bring a bit of defensive metal to the side, but virtually every time he got the ball, he simply hoofed it up into the air and 4 yards up the pitch. And straight to an Oxford player - I don't think he got the ball to a Derby player once! Very disappointing. And on the rare occasions we actually played football, we looked dangerous and scored.

Pick of the bunch were Wildsmith (despite flapping at the ball for the first goal), as he kept us in the match several times, and, of course, Sibley. He took his chances really well, with the first one being a typical Sibbers goal, as was the second!!! His contribution was strong for most of the match, and was playing with a bit of authority today. His time away at left back, and sadly on the bench has seen him return a much better footballer. And that's about it, although it was good to see Max Bird back out on the green stuff!

And I hardly noticed the ref today, which might mean we have had yet another good ref, which makes the grand total of 3 this season - an embarrassment of riches! He actually got a load wrong, but he certainly wasn't the absolute buffoon we normally get.

It seems crazy, we played so poorly but could have come away with 5 goals! WE dug in and held on, and showed some character, and sometimes, as may have said, the result is all that matters. So having shown that we've got some balls, lets now play some football.

COYR!

2 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

Very enjoyable day out, of course helped by the win that I thought we deserved.

£6 for burger, chips and drink at adjacent centre, easy free parking and journey, friendly Oxford fans, a couple of amusing Mr Angry Derby fans next to me whose choice invective during the game made me laugh, and a decent chat with B4 and his dad pre match. If Carling made away trips...

See I am good lad really

And love for the rams never ever ever change.

Today I tried wearing my normal shoes again like doctorie told me too but I was in two minds to keep my spacil boot on but with bad weather I did not fancy slipping over and doing something else or making it worse.

I haven’t read the whole thread which is a bit I like me so I’m a bit confused about the chat surround Knight and Didz not being in the squad. 

if something is amiss perhaps that explains why Warne was highlighting the tiger the as of the squad so much. 

ie we’re good enough without you two and all pulling in the right direction or everything is resolved and we move cleared the air 

5 hours ago, one_chop said:

Freezing cold and and spoiled by having have to put yet another shelf up when I got home.

It's a sorry indictment of our fans' current comedic crisis when the funniest post of the day by a full country mile comes from none other than our dearly loved and much revered @one_chop with this utterly brilliant one-liner. A criminally underrated effort too.

The rest of you miserable lot need to have a word with yourselves, with the exception of @Millenniumram who seems to have elevated the humble premature misery ejaculation into some sort of comedy art form.

#threeterriblepoints

#yourshelvesareshyteandyouknowtheyare

#icupsibbosballs

7 hours ago, norwichram said:

I haven’t read the whole thread which is a bit I like me so I’m a bit confused about the chat surround Knight and Didz not being in the squad. 

if something is amiss perhaps that explains why Warne was highlighting the tiger the as of the squad so much. 

ie we’re good enough without you two and all pulling in the right direction or everything is resolved and we move cleared the air 

I haven’t read the whole thread but, from what I can gather, one poster speculated (without any foundation I think) that Didzy and Knight weren’t really injured but there had been some fall out. I personally haven’t seen anything to support this theory so it sounds like nothing more than wild speculation.

With regard to being “good enough without you two”, I wasn’t at the game but by most accounts we don’t seem to have played very well. So whilst we may have been good enough to get past an Oxford team with no manager and on a horrid run of form, we probably can’t do without them against better opposition.

12 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Watched the game from the stand opposite the away fans.  The oxford fans were giving the ref pelters in the belief that he was giving Derby special treatment.  He just got a lot wrong like they all do.

This was my view with Oxford friends, they were relieved Didzy was out, really thought it was their day scoring first and yes they too felt harsh done by the ref, we were over aggressive by the way.

Singled out Hourihane for experience as the difference, thought Sibley took his goal superbly but generally didn’t rate us. All I could say, without falling out, is we were more clinical and the game should’ve been over; plus I felt a lot better than watching us Tuesday night.

We’re right in the mix, waaaay to much negativity on here at times.

C.O.Y.R’s

18125AB5-238C-4668-9ADF-AE674D3BDE21.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

This was my view with Oxford friends, they were relieved Didzy was out, really thought it was their day scoring first and yes they too felt harsh done by the ref, we were over aggressive by the way.

Singled out Hourihane for experience as the difference, thought Sibley took his goal superbly but generally didn’t rate us. All I could say, without falling out, is we were more clinical and the game should’ve been over; plus I felt a lot better than watching us Tuesday night.

We’re right in the mix, waaaay to much negativity on here at times.

C.O.Y.R’s

18125AB5-238C-4668-9ADF-AE674D3BDE21.jpeg

I have to agree, we couldn't pass the ball to another Derby player most of the game. NML was incredibly wasteful but others joined in. However it was good to see us continue to fight throughout the game. Didn't they rate Wildsmith then? ? 

Charlton - wore my lucky socks - WON

Barnsley - didn’t wear my lucky socks - LOST

Cheltenham - wore my lucky socks - WON

Shrewsbury - didn’t wear my lucky socks - DREW

Plymouth - didn’t wear my lucky socks - LOST

Oxford - wore my lucky socks - WON

They’re in the wash ready for Fleetwood. 

21 minutes ago, admira said:

But can you guarantee they both come out together? It's risky, paired socks seem to disappear in the wash. 

38 minutes ago, admira said:

This post is wearing thin ? and no they aint my feet ??

image.thumb.png.eb896a5133a195accaff65aca6568e8b.png

I haven't ready the normal meltdown from the usual suspects regards the refereeing standards and bias against us by the EFL so can only assume:-

1. The referee had a decent game.

2. There is in fact no bias against us by referees in this division and or the EFL

3. Or following on from point 2 the referees association read this forum after the Plymouth game and told the ref to go easy on us and not make the deliberate victimisation so obvious. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I haven't ready the normal meltdown from the usual suspects regards the refereeing standards and bias against us by the EFL so can only assume:-

2. There is in fact no bias against us by referees in this division and or the EFL

3. Or following on from point 2 the referees association read this forum after the Plymouth game and told the ref to go easy on us and not make the deliberate victimisation so obvious. 

The referee was fine. I think with a couple of exceptions the refereeing standard has been OK. We are not going to have the best referees down in the third division. It will be a mix of experienced referees who just fall a bit short for the two leagues above, or those with less experience but working their way up like  the excellent Rebecca Walsh. 

1 hour ago, admira said:

Finally a sensible post

26 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Or

4. Pretty poor ref but we won so too much effort to go on about it.

Could only listen to the commentary yesterday and so its interesting to read this and see the player ratings also. Only bright sparks on commentary seemed to be Wildsmith's saves and Sibley which is reflected in this thread and in ratings. we are currently looking good for play-offs even though our form over recent matches had been poor so do we think we can recover that groove in time to stay in play-offs or do at all well within them?