Ipswich v Derby (A) Matchday Thread - ‘and it’s live’

i-Ram

23 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Not really, I thought Ipswich are a far better side that we have played so far, thought they were better but we played ok. It’s difficult when you change a system and players, good players were bought to fill a side playing possession football. Warne’s play is different and the players are beginning to adjust, NML seems to be 100% fitter, Smith seems a better fit, we are getting more out of Sibley.

January is going to be a very important window for us, couple of good Warne like signings and we will be in the playoffs, otherwise we will still be in and around them but I think we will be in L1 next year. Remember a couple of weeks before the start of the season, would have struggled to field a 5 a side team. All things considered getting promoted was a big ask, and it’s still not out of the question. I liked a lot of what I saw against Ipswich apart from the lack 0f a cutting edge 

Really ? What did you like ? I thought our passing was dreadful and we created nothing.

Of course I’m down, who isn’t. That post loss tristesse lasts for at least 3 days. The weight of the world is on your shoulders. We got F all. We want to win every game. The style doesn’t seem great either, it doesn’t seem right that ageing wingers are being asked to cover the whole length of the pitch. Yes some “glooms are to be expected.

Yet .. we lost by one goal, away, to one of the leading teams. We have a new manager with limited resources. There’s a whole lot going on behind the scenes. I don’t think for a minute PW isn’t aware of our weaknesses and doesn’t have a plan to address them. 

We need to have some faith and some loyalty. It’s way too early to judge anything. For me, it s on to the next game and quite simply .. come on lads, you can do better. UTR ! 

22 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Those saying officials arent a problem...this was just one instance. Also influenced by crowd for penalty

I wouldn’t be mad if a Derby player got a red… we weren’t good enough to win in my opinion but just off the top of my head not including that incident there were two Ipswich corners first half that obviously came off their player last and the penalty wasn’t a foul in my opinion. The referees at this level are dismal.

It seems to me that the standard of the officials in this league has attracted a new level of 'professionalism' from the clubs that we're playing against. 

In recent games we've seen officials intimidated into giving decisions, big and small against us. Ipswich showed us several examples of the dark arts last night, diving twice for penalties, but only one being given. Committing bad fouls, then pretending to be injured, to avoid a deserved yellow card. The final embarrassing incident in injury time, when FOUR of their players simultaneously when down with cramp, like they'd been hit with a deadly nerve agent, obviously under instruction, to waste time.

But it's not only the officials getting conned, a quick flick through my recording of the game on my return home tonight, showed the ineptitude of the Sky commentary team. They showed pity for the four hardworking Ipswich players who got cramp at exactly the same time, they also claimed that the Derby player didn't mean to hurt the Ipswich players, whilst getting fouled by them. But, the one that takes the biscuit is the summariser claiming that it was ok for the Ipswich player to let Smith know that he was there, with that savage tackle.

We were lacking in attacking threat throughout. Very little sustained pressure going forward ouside of the first and last 2 or 3 minutes.

Softest of soft goals destroyed us, again. Never a peno and they would have a had a red under VAR, but we got what we deserved over the 90. They're a decent side in bits and pieces of play, organised and hard, but it's a poor league if Plymouth and them are top 2.

I feel like we have the tools to compete with anyone, but we have a few glaring weaknesses and haven't helped ourselves under Liam or Paul by fitting players to a system rather than the system to the players. We've also been on the wrong end of a disproportionate number of poor decisions.

I'm still riding the wave of beling chuffed we have a club to support, and hopeful of top 6...but I'd love a little run of wins to give us belief.

Should have been a 0 0 but for a bit of misjudgement by Davies. Still we move on. Not many sides are going to get points at Ipswich. I am looking forward to how we approach our next two home games. We have injuries to key players so Warne will have to earn his crust by picking a team which, for me, needs to be improved especially in midfield. I am hopeful of at least 4 points from these two games which should keep us in the mix. Anything less the doom merchants will be out in force. The season is a long long slog. We have a team to support thank God. I am just happy to go to the ground on a cold,wet (hopefully not) Tuesday night, bellow my lungs out and support the team. UTR!

14 hours ago, ram59 said:

It seems to me that the standard of the officials in this league has attracted a new level of 'professionalism' from the clubs that we're playing against. 

In recent games we've seen officials intimidated into giving decisions, big and small against us. Ipswich showed us several examples of the dark arts last night, diving twice for penalties, but only one being given. Committing bad fouls, then pretending to be injured, to avoid a deserved yellow card. The final embarrassing incident in injury time, when FOUR of their players simultaneously when down with cramp, like they'd been hit with a deadly nerve agent, obviously under instruction, to waste time.

But it's not only the officials getting conned, a quick flick through my recording of the game on my return home tonight, showed the ineptitude of the Sky commentary team. They showed pity for the four hardworking Ipswich players who got cramp at exactly the same time, they also claimed that the Derby player didn't mean to hurt the Ipswich players, whilst getting fouled by them. But, the one that takes the biscuit is the summariser claiming that it was ok for the Ipswich player to let Smith know that he was there, with that savage tackle.

I think if the old quote 'what comes around etc' is true we are due a lot of soft penalties in our favour by the end of the season. I thought the tackle on Smith was awful  

On 22/10/2022 at 03:49, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Have at it we got a win if only by the one goal.    Read some game report/s available on-line and maybe it wasn't El Classico or anything but two teams of once powerful stature fighting it out in some piss-ant league where neither wishes to be.     Derby County would have been maybe favorites over ourselves to finish in first place but you people need to improve if you got any chance of making it back by end of season.     Don't get me wrong i'd like to see Derby back in the Championship league but not if comes at our expense.      Think maybe the play-offs are a realistic target for you now, no disrespect but you seem to falling too far behind the leading pack.

A bumper crowd tonight, fans are coming back and Portman Road is selling out once more, as a long-suffering fan you can't dispute.

Burns took his chance well when on another night he or someone could have blown the opportunity but not sure how many further chances Jackson will be presented from a penalty decision.   

All said a tough gritty encounter between two of the actual heavyweights of the division.    Maybe it wasn't the best advert for lower league soccer but a win's a win.     Hope the traveling fans Derby took down endured a safe trip back even if you didn't get the result you wanted.    I look forward to the return at Pride Park Stadium.   

This is a marathon not a sprint. I hope you are not contracting Forest Delusional Syndrome. The early warning signs are where a club's supporters begin their seasonal promotion celebrations in Autumn and the eventual outcome sees them nosediving at an alarming rate of knots towards reality, waking up with a sudden bump in the summer when they realise that their dreams have been thwarted for another year ?.

If you've written us off already, just remember Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday and Portsmouth might just force you into the play-offs. While I am sure both sets of supporters look forward to the return at Pride Park, they could also be looking forward to a third meeting in the play-offs in May. Now wouldn't that be exciting?

COYR

Watching the full 90 on Rams TV I thought it was a good contest that could have gone either way, both teams having periods in the ascendency. An uncharacteristic mistake cost us when Ipswich were largely nullified. I maintain we need to become more streetwise, having faced yet another team who were pretty dirty and worked hard on the officials to con them and avoid obvious cards of both colours. 

We need to tweak our selection. Don't play two novice forwards together. Without Collins, Warne has to start McGoldrick to get what he can out of him, before bringing on a sub. And he has to use one of Fozzy/Roberts on the left and one of NML/Barks on the right. Plus we need more self-belief on the ball. Just those changes and we'll be far better balanced as a team throughout the duration of the game.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Watching the full 90 on Rams TV I thought it was a good contest that could have gone either way, both teams having periods in the ascendency. An uncharacteristic mistake cost us when Ipswich were largely nullified. I maintain we need to become more streetwise, having faced yet another team who were pretty dirty and worked hard on the officials to con them and avoid obvious cards of both colours...

Yes, I was surprised at how Ipswich played, and the bit about the officials I think is changing slightly but not enough. They should have been down to 10 men after that atrocious tackle on Smith but the player didn't even get booked.

33 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I notice there's been no announcement that Evans tackle is being reviewed which makes me wonder if the ref saw it clearly and was happy with how he "dealt" with it at the time? 

You can’t just review a tackle and give a red after the game, I don’t believe. Only for violent conduct and things like that. 

34 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I notice there's been no announcement that Evans tackle is being reviewed which makes me wonder if the ref saw it clearly and was happy with how he "dealt" with it at the time? 

Korey Smith will get a six week retrospective ban for simulation.