Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

"We had an offer for a player, I spoke to him and everyone at the club and we agreed. I am not saying he is not for sale because everyone is for sale at every club unless you are at PSG or Manchester City.

But it isn't something we want to do. There is no pressure on me to sell any players, anything but. The board have been really supportive. Obviously there are restrictions that we can't go out and buy. But apart from that we are in a really healthy position."

...Hopefully we can get someone in to help us, but in the meantime, if anyone says is he available, or is he not available, I do what I always do with my players," he said. "I go and speak to them, I say 'I am being straight with you, I don't want you to go, but I have to let you know there is interest'.

I can't bear it if agents try to get between you and the player. I tell them straight and I have told the player straight. He doesn't want to go and why would they? It's a great football club to play at. You don't know if you're going to have the most exciting season of your life.

You could get promoted at the end of it, and I always say to the lads, walking round the pitch with your kids is some feeling if you've achieved something. I don't see any of the lads knocking on my door asking to leave and I've said to them many times that if they're not happy with a lack of game time, then knock on my door.

January is coming. I don't want any hostages at this football club. I want everybody pulling in the same direction. That's what I intend to have at the end of January."

Sharing this here as well to highlight the stats shared at the end of the interview. 
7 clean sheets in 11 games, 4 clean sheets in a row and only 5 goals conceded.

Unbeaten in 15 games dating back to the Ipswich game on 21/10/22. In those 15 games (league and cup) we’ve scored 27 and conceded 8, winning 7 and drawing 8. We’ve also scored 4 or more goals in 4 out of the last 6 home games. 
I know the perceived style of Warne’s Derby isn’t to everyone’s taste but he is delivering results and when it works, man does it work! ? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Was surprised LR was dropped so soon but having seen the professionalism of this management team think it was a good, decisive call. ‘Warneball’ has more to it than some feared and the culture he has brought  is a breath of fresh air. Assuming we go up some time soon, will be very interesting to see how he recruits for a championship campaign.

Early on, I was a little skeptical with the appointment and wondered how it might work with a set of players who have been playing a slower and more possession-based game. The results were on and off and some were questioning his approach.

He seemed to stumble across a formation that worked for us due to injuries at CB and hopefully he sticks with 4 at the back, as we seem more comfortable with it and allows NML and Barkhuizen to be used as pure attackers instead of makeshift wingbacks.

The one thing that really has improved in recent weeks though is the overall fitness of the squad and we play with a high tempo for much longer in games. I think this was the missing ingredient when he joined and we can be confident that the squad fitness levels will allow us to control matches for longer, therefore creating more chances and defending more effectively.

1 hour ago, roboto said:

Early on, I was a little skeptical with the appointment and wondered how it might work with a set of players who have been playing a slower and more possession-based game. The results were on and off and some were questioning his approach.

He seemed to stumble across a formation that worked for us due to injuries at CB and hopefully he sticks with 4 at the back, as we seem more comfortable with it and allows NML and Barkhuizen to be used as pure attackers instead of makeshift wingbacks.

The one thing that really has improved in recent weeks though is the overall fitness of the squad and we play with a high tempo for much longer in games. I think this was the missing ingredient when he joined and we can be confident that the squad fitness levels will allow us to control matches for longer, therefore creating more chances and defending more effectively.

100% on the fitness, they look so much fitter and stronger. Whatever Warne and his team has done, keep it coming. They are no longer looking knackered after the first 20 minutes.

6 hours ago, roboto said:

Yep the fitness side is a key thing as you point out.

Just look at the change in Sibley in the last few weeks, his fitness and physicality are at the highest levels we’ve seen during his time in the first team squad.

I must admit I have been very uncertain about PW managing and leading my club. I didn’t like the cheeky chappy business. This was further compounded by fast and furious warne ball - poor control and lack of composure. Over this Christmas period though we have seemed to evolved and play with more confidence and conviction built on a bedrock of fight and hard graft. 
Portsmouth game feels like a slight turning point - we were down to bare bones but came away with a well earned point. 

So fair play Paul and team. I’m actually getting excited. It’s the hope that kills ya. 
don’t like the flat caps and cardigans with big collars but if you keep the key players here and keep this evolution I’ll turn a gracious blind eye.

It might be too soon but potentially Well played DC 

The latest interview Paul Warne gave, or which i heard had me thinking of Brian Clough when he arrived and he took over a struggling side and it was not a bed of roses it took time for the success to start.

Warne certainly has the same morales with players especially off field bonding, Clough would not buy a player if he felt they would not fit in with the rest of the team( forest Asa Hartford cost 1 million only appeared for a few games gone did not fit in)

Warne been given a terrific leg up in football management with Derby, i for one look forward to the rise of the Rams alongside Paul Warne have a good feeling about Paul.

They're starting to be good at being a Paul Warne team.

It's encouraging but let's not get carried away, I'm sure we'll hit a sticky patch at some point in the season and I can well imagine if we're something like 1 win 6 the forum will be full of "this will never get better, style of play is awful, was a mistake to bring him in...etc"

The squad believe in Paul Warne and that's half the battle. 

"I don't like a big squad," he said. "If you ask my recruiters at my previous club they will go crazy. They hated me because I didn't like signing players.

You can have 24 to 25 to 26 players, but if they're fit, they train right and they're coached right then you're lucky. But you've got eight or nine who can't make the 18. But if those eight or nine decide they don't like what they're seeing they can infiltrate the group and it's not easy. Football management and the match days is the easiest bit, funnily enough. It's managing the personalities and the egos throughout the week which is the challenge.

If you've got too many who can't see a way into the team then it's very difficult. That's why in this window hopefully we will come out with three extra faces but if they are not the right people, even if they are better than what we've got, then it can affect what you've got.

We have to make sure we do as much due diligence on them as we can, not just as players but people. No player is bigger than the whole. I am obsessed with pre-season and a hard pre-season because you have to get them battle ready. But you can run it on a smaller squad than some clubs might. Some managers like the fact they can play a left-back one week and swap him out the next.

I don't because if the team is doing well, then why change it? I prefer tight groups, fit groups, small groups and together groups. And here currently the lads have been excellent."

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2023 at 00:23, rammieib said:

His honesty in interviews is very refreshing. Makes a change from the “I didn’t see it” brigade.

Everyone is getting behind Warne Now. He is as honest as the day is long.He said on our transfer restrictions- He wanted to shop at Marks and Spencer , but had to make do with Rola Cola. He also said their had been no offers for players. No matter how good we think Bird, Knight , Sibley and Cashin are, when was the last time a Prem team paid a couple of £ mill for a 3rd tier player?