Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This fella bothers me.  He seems to be a bit like that middle manager at work constantly coming up with 'deep diving' irrelevant ideas to make your life more miserable, whilst sniffing round the boardrooms arse using these ideas to prove how proactive he is.  Not like Derby haven't played Liverpool before many many times.  Your not at Rotherham anymore. All rather bilious.

Hadn’t thought of this, but I think you’ve nailed it. As soon as I read these words, it summed him up perfectly.

I hope he does well, obviously because I love the club, but it’s a bit David Brent-ish with added ‘Quality Improvement Plan’ ?

"There is a lot of admiration for the way the Liverpool manager conducts himself and he was well aware of Paul Warne's comments prior to last night's game.

To give you a brief recap, Derby's head coach said he had hoped to be invited into his office to get the chance to pick the brains of one of the finest managers in world football. There was also an emotional reason too as Warne needed to get a picture of Klopp for his sister-in-law who is undergoing chemotherapy.

She is a big fan of the Liverpool chief and is being inspired by friends and family sending pictures of themselves holding up their thumbs. After the game last night, Klopp referenced what Warne had said after Derbyshire Live asked the Rams chief in the pre-match press conference if he hoped to spend time with him after the game.

And rather than shoot straight home from Anfield, Klopp said he would be more than happy to have a drink with Warne after the pair spoke during the warm-up. "If you (journalists) don't hold me back, I will open a bottle with him," he joked. Warne then conducted his post-match press conference before shooting off to see Klopp. It was a classy gesture on a memorable night when both clubs showed a great deal of respect for each other."

On 30/09/2022 at 21:05, Brailsford Ram said:

I don't think the club has hyped him up. Before he arrived here all we really knew about him was that in three seasons of managing Rotherham in Division One, he had led them to promotion each season; in two seasons in the Championship under him Rotherham were relegated and in the first quarter of this season they stand in eighth place in the Championship but that means little in terms of where they might have ended the season under him - that bit we'll never know. We didn't know much about the character.

He's come here and he's been interviewed by Rams TV and he's spoken honestly to them about his staff, his values, how he operates. He doesn't seem to have a big ego and he has promised us nothing more than that he will do his best to succeed for DCFC. Nothing is guaranteed but I think that in a humble way, Warne has shown that he has a lot of self-confidence and sound principles about man management and leadership.  He comes across as intelligent. Rams TV has simply reported what he has said. I was very taken by what Warne said and I am confident that he is a very good choice to take us forward having been given the opportunity to hear his views. I was warmed by the fact that he knows the supporters want to be entertained in face of the reservations of some fans that he may be one-dimensional and may not have entertaining football in his tool box.

He has spoken well of Liam Rosenior and what he did for our club but explained that the chemistry was not right for him to retain Liam on the coaching staff and none of us know anyway if Liam himself would have wanted to stay under Paul Warne in the circumstances. Similarly, the club has spoken well of Liam's contribution and thanked him for it. Liam Rosenior never let this club down; his effort and recruitment was good and Warne recognised that, following the takeover. I hope that Liam, who might be bitterly disappointed at not being made the permanent manager, is not bitter about his treatment at the hands of David Clowes or the supporters. He was appreciated by most of us.

If you believe that a manager's entry into a club should be low key, I can't for the life of me begin to think of what you would have made of Brian Clough's arrival at the Baseball Ground. He'd had a part season at Hartlepools when for the first time in many a year he saved them from the ignominy of finishing bottom of the EFL and applying for re-election and in his only full season there, he and Taylor took them to seventh place in the Division; the team they built won the Division the next season after they'd left for Derby. His track record was nowhere near to Warne's over the past six seasons but from day one he was telling the EFL, FA and Alf Ramsey what they were doing wrong. Two years later he had Derby competing against Shankly, Busby, Revie, Catterick et al and English football was never the same again. If you'd shut Cloughie up, he'd have been gone in a week and our history would have been much poorer and we'd have missed all the fun along the way.

I don't think anyone will ever replicate Clough's impact on Derby but I've seen enough this week to make me believe that we could be on the brink of something special again in the years ahead. Until such time as Paul Warne pops my balloon, if he ever does, I'm going to enjoy it while I can. It feels so much better at the moment than it felt around Derby County this time last year and for a few months more. We deserve some optimism now.

Darragh McAnthony at Peterborough said today that Warne's appointment has elevated Derby to a home run for promotion now. He knows this League better than any of us. Let's just try and enjoy the ride and see where it takes us.

Hear! Hear! Well said @Brailsford Ram. I entirely agree. Warne is articulate, intelligent and measured. I have no doubt whatever that he’ll bring us success. As for “he should’ve had a low-key first week” - what utter tosh @i-Ram Most fans want to hear what a new manager has to say, what his plans and vision is, how and what he is going to do. It is what unites a Club behind the plan. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Hear! Hear! Well said @Brailsford Ram. I entirely agree. Warne is articulate, intelligent and measured. I have no doubt whatever that he’ll bring us success. As for “he should’ve had a low-key first week” - what utter tosh @i-Ram Most fans want to hear what a new manager has to say, what his plans and vision is, how and what he is going to do. It is what unites a Club behind the plan. 

Oh, hello Tiger. 

I know what his vision is. I call him NASA in my house as he has has been the mastermind behind so many launches.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Just as well he never met Brian Clough or he would have peed his pants!

Brian Clough, by comparison, was desperate for Don Revie's acknowledgement when Derby first played Leeds in the League Cup semi finals. But Revie seemingly snubbed Clough, a sleight which led to the emnity with which Clough viewed Revie thereafter. 

Makes me laugh some of the comments, Warne may or may not be right for DCFC but he is a nice bloke and friendly and there is no pleasing some.....making friends with Klopp could lead to a loan or two who knows and I for one don't think you get much from life in general by  being nasty or un-friendly.

He's not my choice as manager and I certainly don't agree with some of the tactics etc but football apart  he seems like a thoroughly decent bloke 

11 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I know that kind of manager, where you just hope to god they get their promotion and stop bothering you.

Came off a little bit "OMG, I'm talking to Klopp" but, on the other hand, we played well and got something in a game we might have come away with a pasting had Warne not got everyone well drilled on the plan and executing it well.

He's a delight for the media. They can ask the guy silly questions and he seems more than willing to engage full on. I'm not too fussed as I have the option to switch off. If Warne does the job well and gets us promoted, I guess we can tolerate the cheesy banter. 

10 minutes ago, europia said:

He's a delight for the media. They can ask the guy silly questions and he seems more than willing to engage full on. I'm not too fussed as I have the option to switch off. If Warne does the job well and gets us promoted, I guess we can tolerate the cheesy banter. 

Did he ever get a decent coffee maker BTW?

Thommo apparently.

Brian Clough when he bought Trevor Francis,first million pound player who was cup tided for his first game game, Clough told him to make the tea for all in the dressing room, Brians style to keep the young lads head in the right place for there was only room at Derby for one big head.

13 hours ago, SirBrian said:

Thommo apparently.

Brian Clough when he bought Trevor Francis,first million pound player who was cup tided for his first game game, Clough told him to make the tea for all in the dressing room, Brians style to keep the young lads head in the right place for there was only room at Derby for one big head.

If I recall correctly he also told Trevor to "Get your hands out of your pockets snd sign that paper!"

On 10/11/2022 at 16:55, Ellafella said:

We've had so many managers at DCFC in a relatively short space of time. Each with their own management style and personality. Some more entertaining and media savvy than others. Ultimately managers are judged and remembered on team performance and results, not what they say in press conferences and interviews. 

Edited by europia

8 minutes ago, europia said:

We've had so many managers at DCFC in a relatively short space of time. Each with their own management style and personality. Some more entertaining and media savvy than others. Ultimately managers are judged and remembered on team performance and results, not what they say in press conferences and interviews. 

Indeed. But what some say has > gravitas than others. 

On 10/11/2022 at 20:18, S8TY said:

Makes me laugh some of the comments, Warne may or may not be right for DCFC but he is a nice bloke and friendly and there is no pleasing some.....making friends with Klopp could lead to a loan or two who knows and I for one don't think you get much from life in general by  being nasty or un-friendly.

He's not my choice as manager and I certainly don't agree with some of the tactics etc but football apart  he seems like a thoroughly decent bloke 

Yeah, well said. Odd how people can't separate ability from personality. I recognise that Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the greatest players that has graced the turf, I love watching him play. I also think he is a CJTC if the highest order.

I was very surprised when LR was let go and intrigued by the change of direction that was the Warne appointment but whatever you think of that, it's pretty clear that he's the kind of guy you want to work for.