Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

4 minutes ago, roboto said:

Collins was still up top when Sibley came on, then Osula came on to replace Collins a little while later.

The substitutions weren’t great but I don’t think we can let Sibley off the hook because of formation. McGoldrick was simply much more effective today and we lost control of the midfield when he went off. Sibley should’ve been an outlet for the midfield, but was ineffective once again.

Thompson had a nightmare and I feel that Rooney is currently a better option for DM cover on current form as well as being more imposing physically.

Those first two subs (Sibley and Thompson) were the turning point in my opinion.

But Sibley isn't an 'outlet' he is a midfielder. Should have been playing where Hourihane moved to, and left Barkhuizen on instead of Hourihane.

Listen to the Plymouth manager, he knew if he could stop Bird and Hourihane playing that they'd win. He did just that. Sibley in midfield would have posed a different problem as he would have run at their defence. We saw what happened when Mendez did that in the first half. But no, we stick him on the wing doing what Barkhuizen was doing perfectly adequately until Bird and Hourihane stopped giving him the ball.

I hope that Hourihane, Didzy and Collins don’t become undroppable. 

I agree with other posters that Hourihane and Bird aren’t the best CM duo, we need Smith or Knight in there to add some bite.

If Rosenier is a man of his word then there will be some changes for the next game.

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

But Sibley isn't an 'outlet' he is a midfielder. Should have been playing where Hourihane moved to, and left Barkhuizen on instead of Hourihane.

Listen to the Plymouth manager, he knew if he could stop Bird and Hourihane playing that they'd win. He did just that. Sibley in midfield would have posed a different problem as he would have run at their defence. We saw what happened when Mendez did that in the first half. But no, we stick him on the wing doing what Barkhuizen was doing perfectly adequately until Bird and Hourihane stopped giving him the ball.

I’ve been really impressed with Rosenier so far but understandably he will make mistakes as a novice manager.

The number one priority for me is getting Knight into midfield even though any new signings for RB haven’t come through. 

1 hour ago, Rich3478 said:

It was really weak in midfield wasn’t it, like bird but some days is hard to see what he achieves. Can be far too safe with his passing too. Him and hourihane have no physicality at all. Or legs to break from midfield either.

Agree on Thompson too.

I don't have an issue with a centre midfielder playing safe passes to his more expansive/adventurous team mates who will then do something more positive with the ball, it's the fact that if he can't effectively recycle the ball after winning tackles in midfield then it makes him a chocolate fireguard. 

Which is where am thinking Bird is atm

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Bird and Hourihane are good in midfield when we are in control of the game but do not have the stamina or legs to be closing the opposition down over any period of time.

This is why we struggle 2nd half most games.

25 minutes ago, angieram said:

I kind of agree but Barkhuizen was in front of us second half and was blowing out of his Harris 

11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't have an issue with a centre midfielder playing safe passes to his more expansive/adventurous team mates who will then do something more positive with the ball, it's the fact that if he can't effectively recycle the ball after winning tackles in midfield then it makes him a chocolate fireguard. 

Which is where am thinking Bird is atm

Definitely room for improvement with Bird but I think he's already doing better than what you've said here. I think he's trying to have more influence on the game but hasn't quite got it figured out as yet. He's physically tougher than last year and he's calm on the ball with solid distribution and occasionally a good long pass. You don't get the sense that he's "everywhere" though, as you do with the best midfield opponents. (Hourihane is closer to it, but I'm not sure what's going on with his decision-making on the ball at the moment!)

On a related note, I realise neither Bird nor Sibley play the same role, but when watching McGoldrick yesterday I couldn't help thinking both of them could do to add to their own games 'Didsy's' 0-60 burst which suddenly puts quick pressure on an opponent. Can Bird do proper tenacious-aggressive or is he just meant to sit, mop and recycle? In which case he's limited to being a better version of Thompson, and like most calling for Knight back in midfield, we need more bite.

49 minutes ago, roboto said:

Collins was still up top when Sibley came on, then Osula came on to replace Collins a little while later.

The substitutions weren’t great but I don’t think we can let Sibley off the hook because of formation. McGoldrick was simply much more effective today and we lost control of the midfield when he went off. Sibley should’ve been an outlet for the midfield, but was ineffective once again.

Thompson had a nightmare and I feel that Rooney is currently a better option for DM cover on current form as well as being more imposing physically.

Those first two subs (Sibley and Thompson) were the turning point in my opinion.

We lost the midfield because we were no longer pressing from the front, or driving forward with the ball throigh the middle after McGoldrick came off.

It should have been Sibley and Dobbin coming on for McGoldrick and Barkhuizen

1 hour ago, roboto said:

Sibley was pushed wide left, so he was completely ineffective. I suspect that if he'd been brought on as a direct replacement for McGoldrick in the centre, he'd have been far more useful. 

Sibley found his way inside more often than not and fozzy covered the left wing area.

Sibley did show flashes, running through three fouls at one point, but not enough.

Im not trying to single him out and I agree with those that say dobbin should’ve come on instead of Thommo at that point in the match. But this is all in hindsight, and we move on.

Didn’t go to the game yesterday, and that result and performance in isolation would be a worry, but it seems the things we can normally hang out hat on let us down. 

The only reoccurring concern for me is that second halves in games this season we have largely been markedly worse than the first. 

We all have to bear in mind that for many teams in this division this is their biggest game of the season so there will be days when we don't get what we expect. Teams will give that extra 20% and get their tactics right against us so if we are off the pace we will suffer the same result as yesterday. 

It was disappointing but we have enough experience in the dressing room to move on and go again in the next game and we have enough quality to beat any other team in this division as long as we treat every game with the respect it deserves.

Rosenior at this point doesn't appear to know his best team but that is understandable after half a dozen games, and I think most fans understand that and are patient enough at this stage.

Forget yesterday, on to the next opportunity. 

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

A huge chunk of our talent and experience aren’t capable of lasting 90 mins. Big problem with no short-term solution.

The solution is clever use of substitutions.  With 5 allowed and plenty of talent in the squad we should be able to get round this issue.

57 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Didn’t go to the game yesterday, and that result and performance in isolation would be a worry, but it seems the things we can normally hang out hat on let us down. 

The only reoccurring concern for me is that second halves in games this season we have largely been markedly worse than the first. 

True and that is why we should never make a judgement (either on an individual or the team as a whole) based on a single game or two. But, second half performances is becoming a bit of a recurring theme that LR needs to address.

Look at Bournemouth. Last week they suffered a record breaking defeat. Seven days later they win away at the mighty Forest. ?