Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

We're now 7 unbeaten, equalling our best run since Dec19-Jan20 (4 wins, 3 draws). A few more games to beat the run of 10 games achieved at the end of 2016.
We face Plymouth in a 6th vs 5th battle - the last time we didn't beat them at home was way back in 1985 (7 wins)

My predicted lineup:

Wildsmith

Stearman   Cashin

Knight   Bird   Hourihane   Forsyth

Mendez-Laing   Sibley   Dobbin

Collins

Subs: Loach, Oduroh, Roberts, Rooney, Tommo, Barkhuizen, McGoldrick

Plymouth are a good team at this level. We seem to have faced a few of them at home, rather than the some of the teams expected to be at the bottom. They have plenty of attacking options.

Team for me:

Wildsmith, Knight, Stearman, Cashin, Roberts, Bird, Hourihane, Sibley, Dobbin, Barkhuizen, New signing

30 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

496 mile round trip by road; Assuming most are residents there; The late Michael Foot was a famous Pilgrim fan. 

So was the late Michael Jackson oh no that was Exeter. They are both down in wurzel country. 

Edited by PistoldPete

Another important home game against a good team. This is a game I look at and my heart says id take draw for 2 wins on the road against Morecombe and Lincoln. however, because were so strong at home i think this is another game we can win with the quality we have, although Smith will be a miss.

Id set up a little different from last Saturday with NML & Forsyth coming into the side. 

Wildsmith

Knight     Stearman      Cashin     Forsyth

Bird            Hourihane

Dobbin

NML                                            Barkhauzien

Mcgoldrick

Bench: Loach/Rooney/Roberts/Thompson/Sibley/Collins/Cybulski (Or new signing)

5 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Another important home game against a good team. This is a game I look at and my heart says id take draw for 2 wins on the road against Morecombe and Lincoln. however, because were so strong at home i think this is another game we can win with the quality we have, although Smith will be a miss.

Id set up a little different from last Saturday with NML & Forsyth coming into the side. 

Wildsmith

Dobbin

Mcgoldrick

So Sibley back on the bench.....what does the guy have to do to get a start??

6 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Wildsmith

Dobbin

Mcgoldrick

They have lost away at Fleetwood and got tonked 6-1 at Charlton. Won at FGR last away game.  Away form seems patchy so would hope that we have too much for them. 

12 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Wildsmith

Dobbin

Mcgoldrick

If it was that front four, McGoldrick and Dobbin would be the other wat round, as we saw at the end of the Peterborough game.

48 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

Very decent effort that given it is almost 300 miles away!

Yes I remember the horrendous journey there for the FACup in the 80s on a really dirty tatty football special train then marched up hill by police then shoved in ground when no room until got to front. Remember as quite scary but I was only young at time so it perhaps wasnt or I was a wuss! Then they beat us with a terrible goal straight from corner in the replay. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We're now 7 unbeaten, equalling our best run since Dec19-Jan20 (4 wins, 3 draws). A few more games to beat the run of 10 games achieved at the end of 2016.
We face Plymouth in a 6th vs 5th battle - the last time we didn't beat them at home was way back in 1985 (7 wins)

My predicted lineup:

Wildsmith

Stearman   Cashin

Knight   Bird   Hourihane   Forsyth

Mendez-Laing   Sibley   Dobbin

Collins

Subs: Loach, Oduroh, Roberts, Rooney, Tommo, Barkhuizen, McGoldrick

I think this should be the team except with Barkhuizen starting and Dobbin on the bench. Barks had a good game against Peterborough and keeps the shirt, whereas Dobbin was largely ineffectual. With Mendez-Laing playing on Tuesday, he should take over Dobbin's role on the right. 

But great options to have McGoldrick and Dobbin to come on for the last half hour. 

5 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Yes I remember the horrendous journey there for the FACup in the 80s on a really dirty tatty football special train then marched up hill by police then shoved in ground when no room until got to front. Remember as quite scary but I was only young at time so it perhaps wasnt or I was a wuss! Then they beat us with a terrible goal straight from corner in the replay. 

Having lived in Cornwall, I frequented Home Park on many occasions and have seen the Rams there 5 times I think. The 0-0 in the Cup, a 1-1 draw at Christmas time when Tommy Tynan equalised in injury time, season we went up I think. Saw us win 1-0 there when there were next to no fans, really windy day and Bobby Davison scored the goal and I also saw us lose 4-1 there in the 80's too. Also saw us win away there 2-0 in the early 2000's when it poured with rain, driving back was a nightmare. Remember me and my late daughter Gemma walking in to the services on the M5 to a loud round of applause from some Derby fans who saw my daughter's Rams shirt, brought a nice smile to her face. A number of my friends are Greens fans so I will be looking for the bragging rights after Saturday. 

17 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think this should be the team except with Barkhuizen starting and Dobbin on the bench. Barks had a good game against Peterborough and keeps the shirt, whereas Dobbin was largely ineffectual. With Mendez-Laing playing on Tuesday, he should take over Dobbin's role on the right. 

But great options to have McGoldrick and Dobbin to come on for the last half hour. 

It's a tough one as all three have had an impact so far. You say Dobbin was ineffectual, but he still managed to pop up with an assist (once moved off the RW).